Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC shuts down and then infinitely resets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC shuts down and then infinitely resets

Recently I have this issue with my pc, on high end gaming (225w or less) my psu just makes the PC restarts and goes into a on/off loop , that is pc turns on for 2sec then turn off then again on like that. I tried out everything ,tested all component still can't find out a exact reason for this loop, after I let pc off for 10 to 15 mins and then turn on pc is fine and again running high end gaming psu goes out again into the loop, I don't know how to check os pay is during or not , It's corsair rmi750.Before this my Asus mobo keeps on triggering anti surge saying uneven power supply etc etc, I turned anti surge off , even after this pc goes on same ,only difference after anti surge off there is no message of that anti surge but results are same , I went into mobo and captured voltage info of the rails , I don't know much about that , I will attach that reading with this post, please help me find out what causing The problem.Is it that psu is dying? What other things I have to do , please suggest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Those voltage readings are fake. They're taken at the motherboard, not at the PSU. You have an RMi which means it's actually reporting voltages at the PSU if you use the correct software (Link, AIDA64, CIV). If you think voltages are your issue and want to read correct voltages, you should actually use the correct software.

Despite your verbose post, you didn't give much information. Does the PSU only do this rebooting during "high end gaming" (as you put it)? What are your system specs? What graphics cards do you have? How are those graphics cards hooked up (two PCIe connectors on one cable, two cables with one PCIe each, etc.) What are the temperatures inside your case? What are the temperatures reported by the PSU (again, you'll need the proper software installed to report that).

You "tested all components". How? By replacing them one by one or by testing them in another machine?

Under "advanced system settings", "start up and recovery", do you have "automatically restart" unchecked?

All that said.. the problem could be AC related not DC related. The power is typically pretty bad in India. The "power surge" could be from your mains, not from a load. Are you using a UPS? If so, what kind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Same happened to me some months ago. Exactly the same but no antisurge, and with VERY similar components: Corsair RM550x and an Asus Maximus VII Hero.

I updated and reset BIOS and it 'worked' but I think it just fixed itself.

EDIT: I forgot to point, I did NOT know what was the problem: I couldn't realize anything between the two major candidates, psu and mb
    Last edited by breixobaloca; 04-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Those voltage readings are fake. They're taken at the motherboard, not at the PSU. You have an RMi which means it's actually reporting voltages at the PSU if you use the correct software (Link, AIDA64, CIV). If you think voltages are your issue and want to read correct voltages, you should actually use the correct software.

Despite your verbose post, you didn't give much information. Does the PSU only do this rebooting during "high end gaming" (as you put it)? What are your system specs? What graphics cards do you have? How are those graphics cards hooked up (two PCIe connectors on one cable, two cables with one PCIe each, etc.) What are the temperatures inside your case? What are the temperatures reported by the PSU (again, you'll need the proper software installed to report that).

You "tested all components". How? By replacing them one by one or by testing them in another machine?

Under "advanced system settings", "start up and recovery", do you have "automatically restart" unchecked?

All that said.. the problem could be AC related not DC related. The power is typically pretty bad in India. The "power surge" could be from your mains, not from a load. Are you using a UPS? If so, what kind?
    Yes, PSU never did this rebooting before on heavy gaming , it worked fine ,

This rebooting started happening recently when on heavy gaming ( heavy gaming I mean the MAX was under 230W total ( checked through LINK).

System Specs i7 6700 (non K ) ,
    GTX 980 ASUS poseidon,
    8gb x 2 DDR4 corsair RAM ,
    2 HDD ,
    1 dvd/cd Drive ,
    Asus b150 Mobo.

1 GPU , 8pin+6pin , ( connected as wire 1 8pin to psu and other end 8pin+6pin to gpu )

Temperatures of components on heavy gaming , CPU = 65-75 stock cooler ,
    MOBO 50-60C [ before I have gigabyte mobo which temps never exceeded 45C ] ,
    GPU temps 65-75C , Temps checked with AIDA64.) PSU temp 35-40C ( checked with LINK) . tested components on another machine,

UPS is V-Guard (details here http://www.vguard.in/product-details/slender-plus-600 ). Attached voltage reading from AIDA64.

EDIT: Start up and Recovery --> Automatically Restarts is Checked Currently by Default . Will unchecking it solves this problem? Completely new in this area I am , so I don't want to mess up
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 04-15-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Might want to get a new keyboard.... One where the enter key works. I fixed your post for you. Sorry. It was just too hard to read.

So the parts haven't changed... you just started gaming more?

Did you test with one stick of RAM at a time? You tested the graphics card in another motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by BenMathrew View Post
    1 GPU , 8pin+6pin , ( connected as wire 1 8pin to psu and other end 8pin+6pin to gpu )
    Right. You're using one cable for two power connectors. Please hook up two separate cables, one for each PCIe power connector, at the very least to test.

Quote Originally Posted by BenMathrew View Post
    EDIT: Start up and Recovery --> Automatically Restarts is Checked Currently by Default . Will unchecking it solves this problem? Completely new in this area I am , so I don't want to mess up
    No. Of course not. This is part of troubleshooting. If you uncheck the box and the PC goes to a BSOD instead of a reboot, then you know the problem is probably something like memory or the motherboard and not the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might want to get a new keyboard.... One where the enter key works. I fixed your post for you. Sorry. It was just too hard to read.

So the parts haven't changed... you just started gaming more?

Did you test with one stick of RAM at a time? You tested the graphics card in another motherboard?

Right. You're using one cable for two power connectors. Please hook up two separate cables, one for each PCIe power connector, at the very least to test.

No. Of course not. This is part of troubleshooting. If you uncheck the box and the PC goes to a BSOD instead of a reboot, then you know the problem is probably something like memory or the motherboard and not the PSU.
    Attached LINK screenshot of the Voltage readings,tried with 1 RAM stick at a time , the problem is still there no matter 1 or 2 . I will try out the 2 cables and let you know those results. mean time check the voltage reading on LINK , its different than that of AIDA 64 I think.
    EDIT : "Please hook up two separate cables, one for each PCIe power connector, at the very least to test." This means , I have to use another cable and connect that 8PIN to PSU then the other end leave the 8PIN and connect 6PIN to GPU , then again take another cable the connect 8PIN of it to PSU and other end 8PIN to GPU and leave 6PIN , Is this how you meant?
    2nd EDIT: When goes on Heavy Gaming , this problem wont happen instantly but like after 5- 10 mins this happens ( pc restarts then loops)
    3Rd EDIT: Attached Heavy Gaming LINK screenshot . P.S = Sorry for making more complex, tensed a lot after this problem started occurring, couldn't find any solutions.
    Last edited by BenMathrew; 04-15-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Voltage readings look good. And AIDA64 should match (LINK and AIDA64 pull data from "i" PSUs the same way).

For the graphics card power cable:

Your graphics card has two PCIe power connectors. One 8-pin. One 6-pin. Instead of using one cable with two connectors, use two cables and only one connector from each. Your PSU came with two separate PCIe cables. Did you lose the second?

And you've already unchecked "automatically restart" and the PC still restarts without a BSOD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Voltage readings look good. And AIDA64 should match (LINK and AIDA64 pull data from "i" PSUs the same way).

Your graphics card has two PCIe power connectors. One 8-pin. One 6-pin. Instead of using one cable with two connectors, use two cables and only one connector from each. Your PSU came with two separate PCIe cables. Did you lose the second?

And you've already unchecked "automatically restart" and the PC still restarts without a BSOD?
    I will do the cable works and let you know results. Yes I unchecked that , Still PC restarts with out BSOD , P.S = this case PC "NEVER" went for BSOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UPDATE:
    Tried multiple cables still the results are same , contacted Electrician and he said AC is Fine. What strange is , when on heavy gaming , pc makes a sound same as a USB disconnects sound in windows , after that sound 1 sec after pc enters "Reboot Loop". I thought it was lose contact of the Link Cable , I removed it and tried , still that Disconnect sound comes on heavy gaming and pc goes on infinite loop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Contact Corsair support at http://corsair.force.com.