Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longevity of power supplies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Longevity of power supplies

Have an XFX 750w Pro for 5 years now and wondering if its reasonable to expect it good for another 5-6 years. What factors most impact the longevity of power supplies?

My no.1 assumed factor (aside from quality of parts) is heat. And caps are (again, assuming) most likely of components to fail. This is why I tend to go for more powerful units than I need. ie, if a 600-700w unit draws only half its power (my usage 300-350w) it should be cooler, less stressed, therefore longer lasting. Could be a faulty assumption, but would love to hear your views. Thanks.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heat is mainly due to conversion losses, so it mostly depends of relevant efficiency at actual power draw of the specific unit. With reference to that, just overkill is then pointless, IMHO.

OTOH there's an article on [H] about the re-test of a Silverstone unit, which lost about 1/5 of its capacity over about 7 years, so some extra capacity might be even welcome in the long run. Might.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taco View Post
    ... I tend to go for more powerful units than I need. ie, if a 600-700w unit draws only half its power (my usage 300-350w) it should be cooler, less stressed, therefore longer lasting ...
    I concur.

Looking at the HardOCP test of the Silverstone Olympia 1000 after ~7 years, at full 1000W load it was unable to complete the full load test @ 45C, and ripple (which was borderline on +12V & +5V to negin with) had gone out of spec.

However at half its rated wattage (~500W) it still behaved fairly well:

^ Slight drops in +5VSB and efficiency, but much the same overall.

^ Ripple still within spec @ 500W after 7 years (even with Crapxons populating the secondary).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note though that OP1000 is using inferior capacitors to XFX, so results for OP1000 may not carry over 1:1 to XFX. I'd expect XFX to fare better after same time passed, especially since baseline performance was more solid IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Heat is mainly due to conversion losses, so it mostly depends of relevant efficiency at actual power draw of the specific unit. With reference to that, just overkill is then pointless, IMHO.
    I was basically referring to the impact of heat on caps. Again caps, being the most likely of components to fail and most susceptible to heat. Its why we see caps with heat ratings, ie, 85c, 105c, etc. 'Overkill' PSUs are more likely to keep heat well below that if drawing only half their rated power at peak usage. This is my basic assumption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
    ^ Ripple still within spec @ 500W after 7 years (even with Crapxons populating the secondary).
    Ah, so ripple can affect caps as well. I knew it was bad for hardware in general, ie, motherboards, GPUs, etc. So it can impact a PSUs longevity as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other way round: deteriorating caps affect ripple voltage as their ESR increases over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, the caps deteriorate faster when you have a not so-good design. And I believe this is the case of the mentioned SilverStone.

The secondary caps get almost no airflow there because of the PCB's layout and location of the fan.

And the primary part of this PSU doesn't seem to be very well designed, you can easily notice this looking to the difference of the performance on ripple between the 120 VAC and 100 VAC input tests.

Also: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13985

So, I don't conccur with the OP's idea. Getting an well-designed PSU, with higher temperature ratings (50° C) and having a dedicated intake for it makes much more sense. Also, in the real life, you're using less than 100 W. You're only usinng 300, 400 W and so on only with heavily stressing applications. And those applications must use 100% of the CPU and GPU at the same time. Not a common scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    The other way round: deteriorating caps affect ripple voltage as their ESR increases over time.
    The other way around applies, too. If you add more capacitors to a series it lowers ripple and each capacitor theoretically should then last longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

And don't forget the load from the components that can also stress the caps of a PSU.
    SO it's not easy at all to say that a PSU is OK or not, after a longer period of time.

Even if they use those "Japanese capacitors", they still might fail and/or be insufficient for various reasons...

Especially in the last couple of years, the power consumption of graphics cards changed drastically and now is very ripplelastic...