Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seasonic Prime Review at Anandtech

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

At this level? Absolutely no advantage what so ever.

It's like the guys in the Bay Area that own McClarens. They're not going anywhere.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

3DVagabond (04-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3DVagabond View Post
    Hypothetical question. While the performance of these units is no doubt "mythical" is there any real world benefit compared to say an X series unit? Or if you wanted to keep the peace of mind with the 12 year warranty, a Prime gold model?

I know it's not a review sites job to diminish the tech these manufacturers offer. But really, would there be any appreciable, or even noticeable, difference?
    Compared to X-Series?

Well, if you use too much the PC at heavy loads, you can save some cents at the end of the month.

Also, PRIME Titanium is much more silent than X-Series. And in the 750 and 850 W PRIME Titanium, the cabling is better since you have only one PCI-E connector per cable, instead of PCI-E cables with multiple connectors on them (well, to be fair, the two first genreations of X-Series initially only used one connector per PCI-E cable. This was changed on KM3).

Edit: duh, you were talking about PRIME Gold. So those advantages vanish. They're likely to be more silent, since they use FDB fans instead of DBB, but since there are no reviews of those models, we just can bet on this...
    Last edited by Internet; 04-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Internet For This Useful Post:

3DVagabond (04-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    So modern LLC + sense wire units may suffer of the same kind of problem we see about crossloaded group regulated PSUs? Even extremely expensive ones like those Seasonic Prime Titanium?
    I think so, if you load every wire with same current then you will get same voltage from each wire, otherwise if you load high current on sensor wire the PSU will supply higher voltage on every output wire then you will get voltage raise from other wire, if you load lower current on sensor wire the PSU will supply lower voltage to every output wire then you will read voltage drop from other wire, only the sensor wire will keep same voltage reading with different loading

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ef3393 View Post
    only the sensor wire will keep same voltage reading with different loading
    I got your point of view: OTOH other users (Mask, Robi) pointed you (and me) out that one need to melt some wires in order to raise the other 12V readings that significantly... don't you agree? Moreover I didn't find out what that adjective, "cumulative", actually means in the Ecova test methodology.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

No. You always get the same voltage on ALL of the wires (sans resistance from cable length, connector strength, etc.). But if you load a connector with a sense wire, it will raise ALL of the voltages. Not just the voltage to the sense wire. That's why you will often see voltages go up.

Example: 24-pin has a 30A load on it. This causes a drop in voltage due to resistance. Sense wire reports to PSU and PSU increases +12V. At that sense wire, the voltage may be the same at 30A vs. 1A, but if you then take a measurement at another connector that does not have as much load... or as much resistance... you will see a significant increase in voltage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    I got your point of view: OTOH other users (Mask, Robi) pointed you (and me) out that one need to melt some wires in order to raise the other 12V readings that significantly... don't you agree? Moreover I didn't find out what that adjective, "cumulative", actually means in the Ecova test methodology.
    I am not sure, it's not the real world scenario, for example you load 12V on 24P with 5A/10A/15A on 2 wire and 1 A on PCIe and to read the voltage on 24P and PCIe you should find the difference, the PCIe 12V reading should be higher than 24P and the more you load on 24P the higher voltage you read on PCIe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    At this level? Absolutely no advantage what so ever.

It's like the guys in the Bay Area that own McClarens. They're not going anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Compared to X-Series?

Well, if you use too much the PC at heavy loads, you can save some cents at the end of the month.

Also, PRIME Titanium is much more silent than X-Series. And in the 750 and 850 W PRIME Titanium, the cabling is better since you have only one PCI-E connector per cable, instead of PCI-E cables with multiple connectors on them (well, to be fair, the two first genreations of X-Series initially only used one connector per PCI-E cable. This was changed on KM3).

Edit: duh, you were talking about PRIME Gold. So those advantages vanish. They're likely to be more silent, since they use FDB fans instead of DBB, but since there are no reviews of those models, we just can bet on this...
    Thanks. I was pretty certain of the answer. I just thought there was possibly something I was missing.

Although improved cabling is worth something. The X series is going for almost 1/2 the price of the Prime T comparing 850W units, $108 - $197.

FWIU Seasonic isn't the type of company to send something different to reviewers than what the actually sell either. Try pulling, "There was a shortage of Japanese caps", or something? So, if I read a review I can feel assured I'll be buying the same thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3DVagabond View Post
    Thanks. I was pretty certain of the answer. I just thought there was possibly something I was missing.

Although improved cabling is worth something. The X series is going for almost 1/2 the price of the Prime T comparing 850W units, $108 - $197.

FWIU Seasonic isn't the type of company to send something different to reviewers than what the actually sell either. Try pulling, "There was a shortage of Japanese caps", or something? So, if I read a review I can feel assured I'll be buying the same thing?
    Well, to be the devil's advocate, if they don't promise Japanese caps, they rightfully can change lately to non-Japanese brands because of supply or cost issues.

But I think Seasonic stopped to use non-Japanese caps on their retail PSUs since the S12II days. Even on Sea Sonic-made PSUs for other companies non-Japanese caps isn't common anymore. With the exception of XFX XT (which isn't even made on Sea Sonic's factory, but outsourced to RuiShengYuan), I think the last time I saw Chinese caps on a Sea Sonic-made PSU was on the Antec's Neo ECO series.
    Last edited by Internet; 04-11-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: grammar and typos