Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about my AX860i

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worried about my AX860i

Hi, I built a new PC in April last year, and the PC would not stay stable as it would shut down suddenly, and then go into a re-boot loop before finally getting to the desktop, and after surfing, emails etc. it would shut down again.
    I even took the parts out of the case, so just the mobo, cpu, memory, gfx card and the OS SSD and laid it out on some card board, it still would shut down and go into the boot loop again.
    I then swapped it out for my old HX620 and it worked just fine, so reassembled all the parts back into the case again.

I RMA'd the PSU back to the site I bought it from, and eventually received a replacement which has been running fine until a week or so ago when I got the shut down problem again.

Now my PC will suddenly shut down again, and go into the boot loop lark again.
    I thought it may be my Intel 750 400GB SSD (with Win 10) and booted up with another drive and all seemed well again.
    I removed the Intel SSD from the mobo.

Today to update Win 7 I booted up on the Samsung 850 250GB SSD and was running fine all day until a sudden shut down and back into the boot loop until it got to the desktop.

Could it be that my AX860i has gone wonky again ?

According to the Corsair Link which I have just updated, it is showing:
    Temp 33.5C - 0rpm - 12.03v - 5.03 v and 3.31v which seems fine to me...but....?

Oh, this usually happens when I play a game, like Company of Heroes or World of Tanks, which is a bit of a nuisance.

I also have another spare PSU, the Corsair RM550X, but only used it temporarily because it doesn't have enough Sata and molex cables for what I have installed.

I could boot up Windows from the other WD500GB, WD 1TB, Samsung 950 Nvme M.2 (the other is just formatted at present) and run them with the games and see if I get the same problem.

I am not looking forward to the RMA process again.....
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Hi, I built a new PC in April last year, and the PC would not stay stable as it would shut down suddenly, and then go into a re-boot loop before finally getting to the desktop, and after surfing, emails etc. it would shut down again.
    I even took the parts out of the case, so just the mobo, cpu, memory, gfx card and the OS SSD and laid it out on some card board, it still would shut down and go into the boot loop again.
    I then swapped it out for my old HX620 and it worked just fine, so reassembled all the parts back into the case again.

I RMA'd the PSU back to the site I bought it from, and eventually received a replacement which has been running fine until a week or so ago when I got the shut down problem again.

Now my PC will suddenly shut down again, and go into the boot loop lark again.
    I thought it may be my Intel 750 400GB SSD (with Win 10) and booted up with another drive and all seemed well again.
    I removed the Intel SSD from the mobo.

Today to update Win 7 I booted up on the Samsung 850 250GB SSD and was running fine all day until a sudden shut down and back into the boot loop until it got to the desktop.

Could it be that my AX860i has gone wonky again ?

According to the Corsair Link which I have just updated, it is showing:
    Temp 33.5C - 0rpm - 12.03v - 5.03 v and 3.31v which seems fine to me...but....?

Oh, this usually happens when I play a game, like Company of Heroes or World of Tanks, which is a bit of a nuisance.

I also have another spare PSU, the Corsair RM550X, but only used it temporarily because it doesn't have enough Sata and molex cables for what I have installed.

I could boot up Windows from the other WD500GB, WD 1TB, Samsung 950 Nvme M.2 (the other is just formatted at present) and run them with the games and see if I get the same problem.

I am not looking forward to the RMA process again.....
    please see this thread:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14120

there are hundred of peoples with your problem, AX860i has some serious design flaw never advertised by Corsair.
    I had the same problem too.
    the only solution you have is to RMA it and sell it as soon as it arrive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sblantipodi For This Useful Post:

Baron (03-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info !
    Yep, it seems the PSU could be faulty.
    As I said previously, it happened yesterday when I booted up the Samsung 850 SSD, and playing a game it just shut down the same as when I was playing a game using the Intel 750 SSD.

Now, I have a HX620 and a RM550X, which one would be best to use as a temp PSU whilst I try to sort out the AX860i....which should take some time.

I could try the vendor that I bought it from in the UK, or do I have to spend much money on posting it off to Corsair for a replacement ?
    I favour the HX620 since I used it to trouble shoot the original AX860i, as I think it has more Sata and molex cables than the RM550X.
    I can disconnect some HDD's (as they are just clones of Win 7 and Win10) to ease the power load, which is noted below of the internals.

Last time I had a problem some years ago, I think 'Redbeard' sorted things out for me by sending me a label for free postage where I had it parcelled up and a driver dropped off a new unit and collected the duff one.
    It was my HX1000, that died and I got the HX1050 as a replacement, which is still working just fine in my old PC.

P.S. Sorry for late reply, but doing things and the difference in times doesn't help....
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a HX620 and a RM550X, which one would be best to use
    The RM550x is a much better unit: if it sports the right connectors, use it, absolutely.

I favour the HX620
    It's an old, group regulated, relatively inefficient (for contemporary std/hw) PSU, but it was solid.
    Given it should be 8-10 years old, maybe it's time to retire it, reliability wise, but it's not uncommon for those Seasonics working for even 15 years.
    Best, Luca

6. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Baron (03-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for coming back.

Yep my HX620 dates back to about 2005, (I can't see a date of mfg on the unit) before building a new PC in 2009 where the HX1000 took over, because I had a pair of HD4870X2's fitted...

I will fit the RM550X and make do with the cables supplied, although I don't think I will be able to fit all my SSD's/HDD's, but will live with that until I can get a replacement PSU.

I hate this RMA business, but I will contact the vendor and see what happens...more expense, as eventually I will buy a slightly more powerful PSU with more available cable ports.
    As you can see I only have the EVGA GTX 980Ti installed, I don't intend to fit another gfx card as to me it is not worth the extra cost, or upgrade to another one, as I only play World of Tanks online these days, and some other games offline against the AI.
    Plus being 71 years old, I cannot see me paying out to build a new PC in the near future......what there is of it.

Thanks for your advice/help.
    Cheers.

P.S. EVGA, Seasonic and Enermax have been mentioned as good PSU's, so my my PC (see below) what would be a suitable replacement for the RM550X now temporarily in use ?

I seem to have lost some Sata/molex cables somewhere for the RM550X, and only able to use the one Sata cable I have for the Corsair H110iGTX water pump and one WD 1TB HDD.
    I guess the cables from my AX860i (but probably required when I RMA it and the HX620 would not be suitable as different pin layouts ?

Would this be a suitable replacement : Seasonic EVO 620W Full Modular Power Supply, as I don't O/C - CPU - GFX card - Memory, so everything is stock. I may have a quick selection of the Gigabyte 'safe' O/C option, but normally I leave it at default.
    Last edited by Baron; 03-16-2017 at 01:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron For This Useful Post:

Orion (03-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate this RMA business, but I will contact the vendor and see what happens...
    Buy at Amazon: for the first two years you'd be better covered by their warranty (than by the vendor's one).

Plus being 71 years old, I cannot see me paying out to build a new PC in the near future......what there is of it.
    Live long and prosper!

I seem to have lost some Sata/molex cables somewhere for the RM550X, and only able to use the one Sata cable I have for the Corsair H110iGTX water pump and one WD 1TB HDD.
    I guess the cables from my AX860i (but probably required when I RMA it and the HX620 would not be suitable as different pin layouts ?
    AXi peripheral cables should be compatible, I can't say whether they're required for RMA or not.
    BTW:
    1. http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/ribbon-...-3-short-cable
    2. http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/power-s...,%20RMx,%20SF|

Would this be a suitable replacement : Seasonic EVO 620W Full Modular Power Supply, as I don't O/C - CPU - GFX card - Memory, so everything is stock. I may have a quick selection of the Gigabyte 'safe' O/C option, but normally I leave it at default.
    It's the last evolution of your HX620 and it seems comparatively expensive in UK: I think it's no more time for those units (they will be also phased out later in the year, IIRC).

Given you need more or less 350W, given the 620 EVO sports 8 SATA and 5 Molex, if those are your requirements you may pick any good 450-650W unit with the right number of connectors, more or less: to say, a Cooler Master G650M, an XFX XTR Series 550W (P1-550B-BEFX), a Bitfenix Whisper M 450 or 550, a Super Flower Leadex Gold 650, an EVGA G2 650... Dropping the number of connectors widen the available options and may lower the price.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

What's the lot code of your AXi? That's the first seven digits of your serial number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's an old, group regulated, relatively inefficient (for contemporary std/hw) PSU, but it was solid.
    HX520 and 620 were indy regulated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What's the lot code of your AXi? That's the first seven digits of your serial number.
    Jonny why you ask that?
    Is there some known lot that has design flaw?

We all know that those PSU are faulty and that Corsair is trying to hide this, imho, this behaviour creates lots of untrust in Corsair brand.
    Saying the truth is most often the best thing to do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    HX520 and 620 were indy regulated.
    Can you point out more? Weren't they Seasonic S12?
    Best, Luca