Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    You have pictures of that?
    Not on me. But I can confirm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    wall: I don't get it? Why do the Vengeance 400 and CX450M both have two, but a CX450 only comes with one? How much would +/- 8cm extra cable for the PEG connector and one extra 6+2 pins PEG connector costs?
    Personally I don't like too much the approach of putting multiple PCI-E connectors over the same cable. But I agree one connector on the 450 W model isn't good. Seems nonsense for me going LLC but with this type of cable setup.

Who would need a 450W PSU with only PEG connector? With a Ryzen 7 1800X and RX 480 or GTX 1060 the power consumption won't reach the 300W without overclocking.
    Some customs RX 480 can go up to 225 W (MSI Gaming X and Sapphire Nitro are good examples), with only one 8-pin connector.

Anyway shouldn't argue with a RX 480 or with a GTX 1060. If those setups don't reach 300 W, you should complain about the lack of 300 W PSUs. The issue here is with a lot of setups with customs GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 requiring multiple PCI-E connectors but still demanding less than 250 W themselves.

650W with only one PEG cable is also a bad move. A 650W PSU is enough for a Ryzen 7 CPU with a R9 295X2 or Titan Z. But with this PSU the PSU will power the graphics card through one PEG cable. Probably with 18AWG wires, that's gonna be a nice voltage drop.

Read the specs again. It says there are 2 cables with one connector each.

Interesting, you wrote a good argument about why not put multiple PCI-E connectors over the same cable. They did in the 750 W model, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Personally I don't like too much the approach of putting multiple PCI-E connectors over the same cable.
    Me neither, but for a 450W PSU it shouldn't be a problem. Giving the 450W or lower on PEG cable with two connectors is a good way to make this model a bit cheaper make. 550W then could have two PEG connectors on two cables. And the 650W should have four PEG on two cables.

Some customs RX 480 can go up to 225 W (MSI Gaming X and Sapphire Nitro are good examples), with only one 8-pin connector.
    Of course there are cards that only need one PEG and have a power consumption higher then 200W, but that's only around half of then, the other half you can't connect because it lags a PEG connector.
    Anyway shouldn't argue with a RX 480 or with a GTX 1060. If those setups don't reach 300 W, you should complain about the lack of 300 W PSUs. The issue here is with a lot of setups with customs GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 requiring multiple PCI-E connectors but still demanding less than 250 W themselves.
    Yes a Corsair CX350 with one PEG connector and a CX450 with two would make a lot of sense. There are also more then enough PC's without a high-end or mainstream graphics card. There is also more then enough room in the 350W market for a decent 350W PSU, not much interesting there.

Read the specs again. It says there are 2 cables with one connector each.
    Your right it indeed says that both the 550W and 650W have two PEG cables with one connector each. Don't know if that's right by the way, it would be the first time for Corsair to have two PEG on two different cables for a mainstream 550W PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

I wasn't the PM, therefore didn't write the MRD for the new CX, but I dug it up:

CX450 = 1 cable, 1 PCIe
    CX550 = 2 cables, 1 PCIe each
    CX650 = 2 cables, 1 PCIe each
    CX750 = 2 cables, 2 PCIe each

I agree that a CX450 could have two PCIe. Perhaps 1 cable, 2 PCIe. But alas.. That didn't happen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Internet (03-10-2017)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did you also dig up whether if it's possible to have large bulk caps near in the future, Jon?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get it? Why do the Vengeance 400 and CX450M both have two, but a CX450 only comes with one? How much would +/- 8cm extra cable for the PEG connector and one extra 6+2 pins PEG connector costs?
    It's a way of saying "it can run with 650W for some time, but we do not trust cheap bronze unit to run at 650W all the time for so many years se cover with our warranty, so we won't give you enough connectors to pull that; buy more expensive higher series to get those extra connectors". Plus it gets cheaper with less copper of course (copper is still rather expensive). Get used to it, it's common in this market segment. I actually got pretty much this answer (differently phrased of couse) of one PSU brand.

BTW, why don't you make kind a compromise, like 1 cable with 6+2pin & 6pin connector? That's 225 W. More than 150 but less than 300 which may be a problem. Similar with more cables/connectors. After all, many cards around 130 W have two 6pin connectors rather than single 8pin, guess because of all those cheap PSUs. This configuration should allow more options than sticking with only 6+2pin connectors and rather not putting one more there at all.

Anyway, if Jon won't mind me nitpicking this, I hope the hold-up time will be made right this time, and I mean better than "10 ms minimum", but at least like "14 ms minimum"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I wasn't the PM, therefore didn't write the MRD for the new CX.
    I just can't understand how a product manager can just not see something like that. What is he actually doing if he missed a thing like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    It's a way of saying "it can run with 650W for some time, but we do not trust cheap bronze unit to run at 650W all the time for so many years se cover with our warranty, so we won't give you enough connectors to pull that; buy more expensive higher series to get those extra connectors". Plus it gets cheaper with less copper of course (copper is still rather expensive). Get used to it, it's common in this market segment. I actually got pretty much this answer (differently phrased of couse) of one PSU brand.
    No. It's not. Why are you always such a shit head? I mean... like... always.

I just can't understand how a product manager can just not see something like that. What is he actually doing if he missed a thing like that.
    Three things:

1. Not a priority. The 450W is the lowest wattage you can make in that type of PSU, have a price point that makes sense and make a profit.

2. Added cost. Not just the cost of the extra connector, but the extra wires for a second run, or a thicker gauge if you want to do a pigtail.

3. It doesn't cost less to make a 400W, 350W, 300W, etc. at the same quality. So it doesn't make sense to make a 400W, 350W, 300W, etc. for the same price as a 450W. It's the same argument that I use whenever you guys ask "why isn't there a Corsair 450W Gold" or "why isn't there a Corsair 550W Platinum".

VS and CX are bought mostly by system integrators. System integrators know there aren't many reliable alternatives that are cheaper AND lower wattage (more along the lines of the wattage they actually need). They supplement their needs for 400W, 350W, etc. by buying just the 450W in large volume and using it in most builds. All the cards they use, if they even install a graphics card, has no PEG or only one. If they have a two PEG graphics card, they use a better PSU. That simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so in case of Corsair, your PM just forgot about that, may be, why not. (Say hi to Mr. Alzheimer for me pls, it's not the only thing he's forgotten about). Should I relay to that other-brand's-guy he is shithead too? After all, he told me that… Anyway, that's 1:1, I should ask more brands about the small number of connectors, gonna be interesting statistics and responses. Kinda like the answer to "what is gaming case/PSU according to you", I already have some interesting answers.

I do not care about 450W model, that's clear, it has been discussed from all the angles there are, and more, why low-wattage units are a problem. But some ppl there have some problems with 650W units only having 300W worth of PCIe cabling.

Any word about the HUT? And by the way, will there be some of these new units (incl. CSM) displayed at CeBIT?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Oh.. I'm sorry. I should have been more clear in my last post. Continue to be a shit head or you'll get banned. My bad for not being more clear.