Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX Cable compatability

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    There isn't a working PSU calculator. But a high quality 400W is already enough. Peak gaming power consumption with a stock GTX 980 Ti is around 300W DC, with a overclocked model it could be around 350W DC. But the SF450 is enough with every GTX 980 Ti out there as long as you don't use some extreme overclocks.

    And yes it's that quiet and that good.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4512-4.html

    Every other SFX PSU is just the wrong choice.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    There isn't a working PSU calculator. But a high quality 400W is already enough. Peak gaming power consumption with a stock GTX 980 Ti is around 300W DC, with a overclocked model it could be around 350W DC. But the SF450 is enough with every GTX 980 Ti out there as long as you don't use some extreme overclocks.

    And yes it's that quiet and that good.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4512-4.html

    Every other SFX PSU is just the wrong choice.
    According to Techpowerup's review of my card, the card (not system) draws 309w at maximum (with a slightly less oc than mine).

    So 350w for gpu and 65w for i7 6700 (non k)=415w. I can't imagine that 6 noctua fans and one SSD will use more than 35w. Suppose it also can handle more than 450w peak regardless?

    Btw:
    Last edited by Pat-Roner; 02-08-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added pic

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Yes it's time for a better FAQ or an explanation how people can calculated it them self.
    Which GTX 980 Ti do you have?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Yes it's time for a better FAQ or an explanation how people can calculated it them self.
    Which GTX 980 Ti do you have?
    The Extreme Gaming from Giabyte running @ 1430mhz core

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    As you can see the power consumption is only that high with Furmark, with games or other 3D loads it will be around 250W peak and 225W average. That means that the power consumption will be around 300W DC average when gaming and probably around 350W peak with gaming, 3D Mark, Heaven or other benchmark except Furmark. Only with Furmark and Linpack you can get around 400W DC. If you don't believe me, measure it, but don't forget you're gonna measure AC and not DC.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    As you can see the power consumption is only that high with Furmark, with games or other 3D loads it will be around 250W peak and 225W average. That means that the power consumption will be around 300W DC average when gaming and probably around 350W peak with gaming, 3D Mark, Heaven or other benchmark except Furmark. Only with Furmark and Linpack you can get around 400W DC. If you don't believe me, measure it, but don't forget you're gonna measure AC and not DC.
    Cool, thanks alot! I knew this was the right place to ask questions like these.
    Actually think I'm going to get a plug to measure - just out of curiosity.

    I just then have to deduct the efficiency to get the rough measurement?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-Roner View Post
    Cool, thanks alot! I knew this was the right place to
    I just then have to deduct the efficiency to get the rough measurement?
    When you measure the power consumption with a AC meter it measure the AC power consumption. If you want to know how many watts your pulling out of the PSU multiply the number by the efficiency.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4512-4.html

    So when you read 300W AC then you multiply by 0,9 which gives you around 270W DC. If you read 55W then you multiply by 0,8 because the lower efficiency which is measured by Tomshardware.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    506
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    There's a chance you don't recall quite right....
    Wouldn't be the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Yes it's time for a better FAQ or an explanation how people can calculated it them self.
    Yeah... That FAQ is actually 10 years old now.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    367
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-Roner View Post
    Yeah, I think it's to noisy (pc is on desk 80cm from me), but I'm thinking of replacing the 92mm fan with a noctua or bequiet one. It would of course be mounted on the outside, since theres no room inside for a 25mm thick fan, but that shouldn't be a problem i think.

    And i would probably loose the warranty, but it has a 7 year warranty and I'm not sure how better cooling can be bad for the unit. Or am I terribly mistaken?
    What's the noise you hear? Is it bearing noise or just a fast spinning fan? Replacing the fan doesn't seem like a good idea. You probably only gonna make the PSU overhead, because there isn't enough airflow.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    What's the noise you hear? Is it bearing noise or just a fast spinning fan? Replacing the fan doesn't seem like a good idea. You probably only gonna make the PSU overhead, because there isn't enough airflow.
    No bearing noise, just fan noise. But I would think that a fullsize 92mm fan would have higher CFM than a slim one, not?
    According to this test the SF600 fan is around 2000rpm on 500w load (which is lower than my 450 max)

    Heres some stats on Noctua's 92mm fans;


    So If we take the NF-A9x14 as an example for a slim fan; @2200rpm it has a CFM of 50,5. And Noctua being Noctua, i think we can safely assume that that is as high CFM you can get it on a slim 92mm fan at 2000rpm (IDcooling also has a 92mm slim fan with 44,3CFM@2500rpm and that's more similar to the corsair fan in regards to blade design),

    And If I where to get the NF-A9 FLX (due to 3 pin) and that has a great increase in amount of airflow, despite spinning slower. I don't know the starting voltage for it, but according to this, the fan controller ramps up the voltage as needed, so it would start when needed regardless.

    I'm also thinking of getting the new corsair commander pro and control the PSU fan with one of the thermal-resistors, but I would think that it would be sufficient with the internal controller.
    Last edited by Pat-Roner; 06-02-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Computers are ment to be seen, not heard

Similar Threads

  1. Sharkoon Silentstorm Icewind: Bronze DC-DC units with cable sleeving for 69.90€
    By breixobaloca in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM
  2. Sharkoon Announces SilentStorm SFX Power Supply Series
    By -The_Mask- in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-27-2015, 12:21 PM
  4. Compatability issue
    By Mad Machinist in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
  5. 20/24 pin compatability?
    By NLW in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 08:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •