Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can I install a new PSU into my OLD PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mobo's VRM caps are Rubycons, good stuff that will last forever provided decent cooling.

The 'Future Power' PSU is a fire hazard, just throw it overboard ASAP.

That stamped grill behind the case's exhaust fan is a crime, hopelessly restrictive. I'd mercilessly cut out the area inside the circle, the spice must flow:

Then before ditching it you could unscrew the wire grille from the PSU, and screw it to the case with the fan's screws to protect the cut area.

With a couple of fresh 80mm fans, one pushing air from the front of the case and the other exhausting thru the cut area in the rear, plus the new PSU fan, there should be enough cooling for this particular system.

And in case you didn't know already, here's the ancient temple where relics are worshipped.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TELVM For This Useful Post:

arcade_portal32 (02-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
    That stamped grill behind the case's exhaust fan is a crime, hopelessly restrictive. I'd mercilessly cut out the area inside the circle, the spice must flow:

I have made my decision as well, I am going with the SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W. I am going to buy it this coming Friday soon! It is DC-DC, has floppy connectors, good with 5v load and is Modular, and compared to what it has now, is a BIG upgrade!

Also, The 80mm case exaust fan was recently replaced as well, but cutting out that bit of metal should also help out flow, im sure my friend who is a wood carver has a cutting tool I could use. I believe it does have 2 more bays up front for 2 more 80mm fans but they would be VERY air restricted just like the exaust fan. I'm sure the 120mm fan airflow form the PSU will help, but maybe finding a way to add even more fans then just the one exaust fan should help out as well.

Edit: I may not use the PC until I get the new PSU, as I worry ever since I upgraded some of the components. It's watt usage (according to a watt meter was about 88watts before I upgraded it), It's now pushing about 130Watts on the wall meter. I rather be safe then sorry, especially with my CD drives having issues reading disk recently (maybe from improper voltage)
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 02-05-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I fixed your photo sizes.

As for making the hole in the back of the case: I'm sure your friend has a hole saw. Those work best for making perfect circular holes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

arcade_portal32 (02-06-2017)