Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I install a new PSU into my OLD PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it is not obvious, you suggest that I modify the fan hysteresis or replace the fan to avoid warranty or? The ripple did not exceed spec, but it was pretty poor for high-end price nonetheless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Is and is not. Here it is not sold for close to a year. You mistake old stocks for actual availability so than it would be more like 3 years and something.
    You're confusing the lack of availability for you with being EOL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have information from the distributor that it is EoL for them. It may be possible that if some customer really demands them badly, Seasonic will make them (well, if they can also find the time on the line). However, with the competition like Corsair RMx, which is better in almost everything, the units were not selling anyway so why demand them so badly in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it is not obvious, you suggest that I modify the fan hysteresis or replace the fan to avoid warranty or?
    When I say fixable, it's not user-fixable. It's manufacturer-fixable in newer revisions.

The ripple did not exceed spec, but it was pretty poor for high-end price nonetheless.
    But that's not an issue that prevents unit from working per se. It might make it less competitive, but not flat out unusable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did not say it's unusably, did I? Think I've said it is not that good and I don't suggest it.

Anyway, the unit design counts with some parameters and simply replacing the fan for slower one while keeping warranty etc. may not be viable. One part of the design was airflow/component temperature. I think that's the reason why Seasonic will just replace the platform with different one.

BTW they already have different gold platform, I remember some brand has something else (than G or X) in their units made by Seasonic. Don't remember which one, but it was discussed here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

BTW they already have different gold platform, I remember some brand has something else (than G or X) in their units made by Seasonic. Don't remember which one, but it was discussed here.
    The one in Cyonic AU and EVGA GS 550/650, and it's worse than the G series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Uses an NXP LLC-Resonant converter, If I remember correctly.
    But also uses a HY-510N for Protection and doesn't do any OCP anywhere, especially on minor rails. And Minor rails are done by a single MOSFET....

If you overload Minor Rail, PSU will be broken because DC-DC module burns.

And no real heatsinking as well, because everything is soldered to the back of the unit..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I have information from the distributor that it is EoL for them. It may be possible that if some customer really demands them badly, Seasonic will make them (well, if they can also find the time on the line). However, with the competition like Corsair RMx, which is better in almost everything, the units were not selling anyway so why demand them so badly in the first place.
    Yes it's send EOL now by Seasonic, this is the last stock and when Focus launches it has almost been 5 years. RMx is better, but also launched 3 years after the G-series. And no Seasonic did not send G-series EOL when RMx launched. They however dropped the price around that time.

Corsair RMx is clearly a high-end or enthusiasts 80PLUS Gold power supply looking at the performance, quality and features. G-series has never been in that class, Seasonic has the X-series for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arcade_portal32 View Post
    I'm hoping the big 120mm fans most new PSU's have should improve cooling as well. As the current PSU's intake fan doesn't even work really at all lol (only it's exaust fan which doesn't have much life left, hence why im really replacing it lol) ...
    ^ Sounds like a high revving PSU fan moving some air might come handy here.

... high ripple ...

Moreover, this venerable and frugal system will dwell in the "20% load" line ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TELVM For This Useful Post:

arcade_portal32 (02-05-2017), ehume (02-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

By TELVN: Also while you're at it you should check that the mobo's capacitors at least look OK (none bulging, oozing or leaking).
    I checked them, and there all fine, no bulging, or leakage, and the CMOS battery was replaced recently. There actually very clean!

Edit: Added some pictures of my vintage PC & (soon to be replaced) PSU.... Sorry if the pictures are a little big, but I don't know ho w to make them smaller. Guess zooming out is the best way to view them.

Last edited by Jon Gerow; 02-05-2017 at 09:49 PM.