Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone Strider Platinum 1000W - Enhance vs Sirfa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silverstone Strider Platinum 1000W - Enhance vs Sirfa?

I've been trying to find info on the 1000W Silverstone Strider Platinum but there really isn't anything out there about it. In the past Silverstone PSUs made by Sirfa have been shown to have poor hold-up time, including the Platinum 850W. However, the 1000W is apparently made by Enhance Electronics. I'm just wondering how well I can expect the Enhance unit to perform in comparison with the Sirfa units?
    Also would the Platinum 1000W be a better choice than the EVGA 1000 GQ? I'm interested to know which one would be quieter.

Edit: Apparently the 1200W, also made by Enhance, uses a double ball bearing fan (http://thermalbench.com/2016/10/13/s...1200-pt-psu/3/) while the Sirfa units seem to use FDB fans, WTF? Does anyone know what sort of fan is used in the Enhance-made 1000W?
    Last edited by yogalD; 12-15-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

The 1000W is Enhance. Same as 850W and 1200W. Only the550, 650 and 750 are Sirfa.

The 1000W hasn't been reviewed anywhere, so it's hard to say "how good" it is. Overall, I "trust" the build quality of Enhance over Sirfa.

If the 1000W is anything like its 850W little brother, it's a pretty decent unit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pply,4736.html

Compared to an EVGA GQ? Not even in the same league. The GQ isn't even that "great" compared to other Gold rated PSUs, never mind an Enhance built Platinum unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange, on Tom's Hardware's review of the 850W they said "The ST85F-PT is based on a Sirfa/High Power platform" but RealHardTechX says it's an Enhance unit. Nonetheless even if it's an Enhance, it seems to still have "fake" hold-up time: "the power-good signal lasts longer than the hold-up time, meaning it drops when the rails are already out of spec".

I also noticed as mentioned above that the 850W reviewed by Tom's Hardware had an FDB fan but the 1000W reviewed in the ThermalBench article had a double ball bearing fan...

Also the Silverstone Titanium PSUs are also made by Enhance and demonstrated very mediocre (I mean still decent but not good enough for the price considering the alternatives) performance in both JonnyGuru and Tom's Hardware reviews, while the EVGA 850 GQ performed very well in the JonnyGuru review.

I've also been considering the excellent XFX (Seasonic) XTS 1000W but from what I've read it's a fair bit noisier than the competition. The only reason I'm deciding between these three is because I've gone through two Corsair RM1000i units with high pitched coil-whine-esque buzzing even at idle and low loads (even just browsing the web), haha, the Corsair would have been basically perfect if not for that problem, sadly. (Either it's a design flaw that most people haven't noticed because their PC is on the floor or something, very poor QC, or I'm ridiculously unlucky...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yogalD View Post
    Strange, on Tom's Hardware's review of the 850W they said "The ST85F-PT is based on a Sirfa/High Power platform" but RealHardTechX says it's an Enhance unit. Nonetheless even if it's an Enhance...
    He says Sirfa, but it looks like Enhance to me.

it seems to still have "fake" hold-up time: "the power-good signal lasts longer than the hold-up time, meaning it drops when the rails are already out of spec".
    Which is not a big deal. Just one more thing reviewers are looking at to differentiate one unit's superiority over another's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    He says Sirfa, but it looks like Enhance to me.

Which is not a big deal. Just one more thing reviewers are looking at to differentiate one unit's superiority over another's.
    I know low hold-up time isn't really a big deal but isn't fake hold-up time dangerous? It's better to shut off completely than feed low voltages to the components, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also not sure why you're saying the 1000 GQ is "not even in the same league" when you guys gave the 850 GQ a great score yet the Silverstone Titanium units received very mediocre performance ratings. Heck the GQ is even rated for 50C.

Also Tom's Hardware seems to say the Silverstone (850) is quieter than the GQ (750) but in the noise graphs for the two PSUs, when the fans come on the GQ seems to start off quieter than the Silverstone but the GQ is noisier at full load compared to the Silverstone at full load, what do you think?
    Last edited by yogalD; 12-16-2016 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

"The Strider Platinum models with capacities ranging from 550 W to 850 W are made by Sirfa/Sirtec, while the 1 kW and 1.2 kW ones are made by Enhance Electronics."

Hold-up time can be lower than 17ms (but not silly low), however in no case the power ok signal should be inaccurate. Its role is to inform about proper voltages and if it doesn't do this, then it simply fails its role. Power ok is there for a reason else no PSU would have it and no system would require it.

So it isn't just a reviewer's trick Even if it was, I wonder why it is so hard for some OEMs to tune it properly and why at the first place they allow for such high inaccurate power ok signals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The 1000W is Enhance. Same as 850W and 1200W. Only the550, 650 and 750 are Sirfa.
    no, it's also SirFa, same as 550-750W, only with a different modular PCB.

Here's some pics of the 750W Version:
    http://www.tweakpc.de/forum/netzteil...-st75f-pt.html
    Last edited by Stefan Payne; 12-16-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    no, it's also SirFa, same as 550-750W, only with a different modular PCB.
    Not according to RHTX

I'm not sure how to tell which is correct though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I also noticed as mentioned above that the 850W reviewed by Tom's Hardware had an FDB fan but the 1000W reviewed in the ThermalBench article had a double ball bearing fan...
    The 550W ~ 850W models all use the same FDB fan while the 1000W and 1200W models have faster spinning dual ball bearing fan instead as they have higher heat dissipation requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    "The Strider Platinum models with capacities ranging from 550 W to 850 W are made by Sirfa/Sirtec, while the 1 kW and 1.2 kW ones are made by Enhance Electronics."
    We can confirm this statement to be correct.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverStone For This Useful Post:

crmaris (12-16-2016), sith'ari (12-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    The 550W ~ 850W models all use the same FDB fan while the 1000W and 1200W models have faster spinning dual ball bearing fan instead as they have higher heat dissipation requirement.

We can confirm this statement to be correct.
    Does that make the 1000W louder, even at equivalent loads? (e.g. 400W on the 850W model vs 400W on the 1000W model)

Still, the 1000W and 1200W use a 139mm fan which in itself would have greater cooling than the 120mm fan used in the <850W ones even at the same RPM would it not?