Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preview: Corsair CX550M – farewell, group design @HWI

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
    and power (at least for where I've been/lived) is quite stable. I know the CX550m's are aimed at the NA market most likely, and there's almost no brownouts here/surges...
    Isn't that a blanket statement, ridgid?

Mediocre ripple or not, 100mv isn't gonna hurt rock hard budget hardware.
    You look like sort of a canadian "Stefan Payne" variant now...

...you're missing Pavel's main point, I guess: "Frankly, I am far from impressed by the final results unlike some ppl here. Their excitement kinda raised false hopes... IMO you expect reasonable performance in each regard from unit of such price. Not high-end voltage regulation and efficiency on one hand combined with microcap... Ppl than tend to solve this by buying +50 % (or more) rated power cheap units instead of buying quality ones with only 100 W headroom. One stupid thing after another…nah, this cheap market is just screwed"

He was just disappointed, he was expecting a thoroughly better unit, particularly for the european pricing (european pricing are far higher than north american one for every brand, Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair... you know, we have no CXM at 30-40 bucks shipped), and much more for "how good" people (even here, even me) said it is (even here, even me).

And I think it's somehow right: said differently, the unit tested by Aris with the larger cap is a better outcome/prospect than the one tested by The Mask with the microcap.

My only wondering about the published reviews is: why did the Vengeances tested by OW and Tazz perform so well, with reference to 12V ripple?
    Last edited by quest for silence; 01-25-2017 at 04:10 AM. Reason: grammar corrections
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Behemot, as a counter argument against "wayyyy to short HUT", what is the probability of that hold up time even being an issue? The PSU is more than likely not at 100% load all the time, and power (at least for where I've been/lived) is quite stable. I know the CX550m's are aimed at the NA market most likely, and there's almost no brownouts here/surges...
    Refer to
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    This is most likely one of the reasons for unexplainable problems and instabilities, escessive component heating lot of ppl have with similar units which go all away once they invest in quality unit. Ppl than tend to solve this by buying +50 % (or more) rated power cheap units instead of buying quality ones with only 100 W headroom. One stupid thing after another…nah, this cheap market is just screwed
    Are you sure your fan is not contributing to the ripple for the -12v load? Have you tried your headlight bulbs? (not that -12v is even used anymore is it??)
    I am sure it DOES, read again
    I do look forward to the review though. It's sometimes a no brainer to buy (especially in the US), 30 bucks for it on sale over a evga 600b.. Mediocre ripple or not, 100mv isn't gonna hurt rock hard budget hardware. People nowadays do buy higher quality units, but it's not really any manufacturers fault if you buy a 40 buck power supply and try power your GTX 1080s on it. Should it work? Yes it should. Should you use it? Not really. IMO it preforms good enough for it's price
    For 30 bucks OFC it's one thing. I am more like concerned about local price, and it costs more than double as much, there are no 30% discounts here. For the price it sells I'd expect totally different performance.

As stated, GM seems like much better choice for the same price. BTW, GM has OCP, CXM does not. Protection junkies may consider this also.

As for the ripple, well, it was also higher on +12 V, but not highest, just about 50 % (or 60 mV). Other rails vere getting much closer to their ATX maximum, especially stand-by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, GM has OCP, CXM does not.
    Rephrase please: on Aris test protections were ok (it's a single rail unit, and minor rails' OCP were found working, as well as OPP).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. Corsair claims on their website it only has OPP. I already found it has OTP and warned them to correct the information. If it is the case - as I have not run into OCP limits (which may mean they are just much higher) - marketing is screwing them over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The old CX also had OCP back in the day and the information was added later upon my request.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other rails vere getting much closer to their ATX maximum, especially stand-by.
    I missed that: on The Mask's review, minor rails ripple was nowhere near ATX maximum (5V@17/50mV, 3.3V@29/50mV), albeit he didn't reported 5VSB one.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Interesting. Corsair claims on their website it only has OPP. I already found it has OTP and warned them to correct the information. If it is the case - as I have not run into OCP limits (which may mean they are just much higher) - marketing is screwing them over.
    You emailed me about this a week ago and I told you that the website is wrong. You even responded with "marketing is screwing you over".

So you know what the truth is.. but you choose to maintain a stance of ignorance and can't even come up with a new phrase other than "marketing is screwing you over" as a defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes and I also told one of your marketing guys. Yet in over a week nothing has changed. I know, it is SO complicated to change a few words on a website in 2017. I can understand you did not go to reprint the box or manual (I checked everywhere and this information is nowhere). But website? I update several websites daily, such company cannot change a few pages in over a week??

Or what is the reason, nobody inside Corsair cares, so all of the people employed there screw the company over? And why should I defend anything? You (as Corsair) state wrong information, not me.

In this case you are at least not hiding flaws rather than nice features, but still. That's even more strange. Hiding flaws at least has reason. For hiding features I can find none Besides, you in that e-mail stated it has OTP. Not a single word about OCP!

Especially when competition desperatelly markets shit like having <1 W stand-by load (when regulation calls for <0.5 W), and Corsair on the other hand has advanced features there in their units, working, which it can promote for free, but rather stays silent about them. What's more, it actually even shouts on people who point that out. I don't understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand.
    OMG...

[OFF TOPIC]

I think that either your english proficiency or your diplomacy skills didn't improve over time, Pavel: you can't say «marketing is screwing them over» publicly without expecting you may just upset a tiny bit Corsair by that.
    Of course, you may as well not care if Corsair shouldn't like that, there are several professionals who doesn't mind about what a vendor likes or may like (most notably Spectre, among our co-forumers).

I guess that either your previous report had a low priority in the marketing/web people tasks queue, or some relevant procedures are just slower than what you expected (one week), or eventually some accident happened: but I also guess that repeating publicly «marketing is screwing them over» won't solve either these hypothetical issues, nor in case I think that it's crucial to correct those wrong information in a shorter timeframe.

Obviously all those above are just my not educated guessworks, so please take them with more than a grain of salt.

[/OFF TOPIC]
    Best, Luca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (01-25-2017)