Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Ryzen, eventually better than Piledriver/Bulldozer/Vishera!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after all these tests, who might be in charge to draw the "official" final conclusion ? i mean, are these tests legit? how many benchmarks must we see in order to find out the true "position" of the new cpus ?
    i can draw my own conclusion but that wouldnt be official or fair for ...others... and i dont want to be accussed of anything. i saw the AMD conference, and after that i've heard many skeptic voices that said the benchmark scores were overreacted. Are those applications optimized for a certain cpu family type ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ummm, dude... Ryzen has already been released and multiple independent reviews are out. You can certainly draw your conclusions already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

The conclusion is that AMD Ryzen is great, but in some applications there are some updates needed. Like some games were disabling SMT gives more performance and Windows 10 should also get an update so that the task scheduler is gonna work better. It all points to a launch that was in a bit of a rush, but most problems are small and should be fixable with software updates.

In applications which really can do something with all the 16 threads of Ryzen the performance is great, like for example Handbrake. You can also see in Cinebench that AMD's SMT works better then Intel's SMT implementation which they call Hyper Threading (HT). But like I said only sometimes the software keeps Ryzen down.

So my advice is wait a couple of months, for example when the Ryzen 5 1600X launches, a hexacore with SMT 3,6GHz base clock and 4GHz boost. More motherboards are available then and also some software updates should be ready then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minus0 View Post
    ... Are those applications optimized for a certain cpu family type ?
    If anything I wouldn't be surprised if they're "optimized" to cripple any non GenuineIntel processors ... ... https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ng-shenanigans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@rafal iB PL and -The Mask-
    i know my above question sounds absurd, but i tend to hesitate when it comes to "independent reviews". Because with the good amount of sponsor money, you can "review very independently". They will tell you exactly what you want to hear no matter what. I have no doubt that the new ryzen is more powerful than my old cpu(or some intel cpu). I guess there are too many different variables in the equation as The Mask said.
    i have already made my own opinion about the new Cpus ,the power consumption, the performance and the prices are very good. I guess i will wait a bit longer, maybe i will have the chance to test the new amds with my own hands before the next upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
    If anything I wouldn't be surprised if they're "optimized" to cripple any non GenuineIntel processors ...
    @TELVM the article you’ve linked it is very interesting. I agree with your statement and i must admit i was afraid to say something like that. I wouldnt be surprised also. With money you can control almost everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minus0 View Post
    i tend to hesitate when it comes to "independent reviews". Because with the good amount of sponsor money, you can "review very independently"
    If everyone can be bought, then who can you trust when you want to learn about the new CPU's performance?
    Obviously you can't just buy it and review it yourself because by this point you already bought the processor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is safe to say that unlike intel, AMD is far less likely to be able to afford to buy out all the reviewers on the web and also all the people who bought the product on launch day and posted their own results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TELVM For This Useful Post:

Nuckles_56 (03-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If everyone can be bought, then who can you trust when you want to learn about the new CPU's performance?
    Obviously you can't just buy it and review it yourself because by this point you already bought the processor
    @Orion there are some youtube tech channels that i dont trust. i dont have proof that they are "corrupted". They "act" to fishy for me, everybody knows that they promote products for money, even if they make it sound like they really like those products. So it is very difficult for me to believe everything "that" person says no matter what. It's not like i know that person, its not my best friend or something, it's a stranger who likes technology and is getting paid for making videos about pc components. Good for him/them. I've seen some of them videos, and their technique is very "simple & clever" : they will tell you what you want to hear no matter if you are a blue team fan, green team fan or red or etc. They found out that it is more beneficial for them if they can choose multiple sides or a better saying "if they remain neutral". This means more money for them(more views,more subscribers,etc) Not all of them can be bought, of course, a company is taking a big risk by doing that. If people find out, the company loses big money. But i remember that intel played dirty in the past, and they had to pay AMD $1.20 billion to settle lawsuits. I wouldnt trust someone who tried once to play dirty. The society seems to do that very easy, every time.
    It's just my opinion, i know it sounds a bit paranoia and i apologize. Regarding the review & buy part, i agree with you, that's why i said that it would be great if i could get to test them on my own before i buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
    I think it is safe to say that unlike intel, AMD is far less likely to be able to afford to buy out all the reviewers on the web and also all the people who bought the product on launch day and posted their own results.
    You are right. If a company wants to do something, they will do it indirectly as usually, so they can be safe & covered in a way. i am pretty sure there are some smart people out there, specially when it comes to dirty jobs they get very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
    This made my day
    i wasnt expected that test. The comments from that video are more funnier than the video itself.

On topic: In Cinebench R15 my FX 6350 3.9Ghz got a ~466 score. Obviously the new AM4 platform new cpus are better than the old AM3+. i guess in the Blender test, the new AMD 7 1700 will be scoring less than ~20 seconds, because i scored 86 seconds. And about power consumption, why AMD didnt labeled the real wattage power drawen from the wall socket? i understand the TDP 125W value, but how hard is for a company to put inside cpu specification, the value of how many watts that cpu is consuming at stock speed, in 100% load. ? . Its like a car company wont tell you how many gallons/mile your engine is burning. How hard is to give and approximate value?