Thread: New PSU help - whittled it down to a couple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New PSU help - whittled it down to a couple

Hi Jonny peeps,

Im currently looking at a new PSU to tide me over my "Need new hardware to fill the dark void" issues after I found out that the new Intel and upcoming AMD chips will only work on Windows 10 booo-urns. (and yes, a little slow to the news on that one). You see as I dont like being told exactly what to do I am boycotting my upgrade plan for the moment and instead spending some money on a new PSU, which will in turn help me at present and when / if I decide to upgrade. That plus the fact I have had some weird power issues intermittently show up and disappear for no apparent reason (USB insertion crashed system display, power stays on to ALL peripherals when turned off no matter the BIOS settings, Blue screened a couple of times for no reason citing a watchdog timer even though CPU was only clocked @ 4.2 and so on an so forth) - hoping a new and decent PSU will assist here.

Out of all the selections I have gone through a couple seem to stick out, and its just a matter of choosing between some Coarse Air or the Seas of Sonic.

So its either
    The Corsair Hx750i or the Seasonic SS-760xp11

The deets....

Im in Sydney and can get the HX for $214 or the SS for $239.

Hardware All wedged into a Fractal R4.....
    i5 4670k OCd to 4.5
    MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo
    GTX 1070 Gaming X
    128g 850 pro SSD - Boot drive
    250g 840 SSD - Steam library
    250g 850 evo SSD - Origin Library
    1T WD blue - for movies
    4 x 4g Gskill 2400mhz DDR3 (16g totes)
    LG BDRW ODD
    NZXT sentry fan controller
    Thermaltake toughpower gold 750

Cooling
    EK L120 kit - DDC pump - 120 rad - Supremacy block
    1 x EK Vardar 120mm
    3 Varying Noctua fans (2 x 140mm + 1 x 120mm)
    2 x 140mm Fractal Design Silent R3s
    1 x Thermaltake 120
    2 x 90mm Coolermaster units (for directional airflow on the GPU)
    1 x 72mm 4200rpm little beast for cooling mobo VRMs

I use this rig for Gaming and internetting mostly , with some movie watching thrown in for good measure. I will always OC my CPU and GPU so that needs to be considered. I have a multitude of fans that can sometimes be on @ 70% + when gaming on a hot day.

The idea was to custom sleeve the PSU myself (have done some myself and already know it's time consuming) as well so having a full ribbon cable on the 24 pin is no concern.

I am open to the idea of another Gold unit but do want some decent quality - which does seem to come with 80+ ratings (mostly anyways)
    The 750ish watt units could be stepped down to 650 and possibly save a penny or 2, but with all the fans and junk I have connected not too certain if I should. If so, then the Seasonic ss 660xp11 was a rather sweet little unit.

Only have a few things to mention - I prefer to deal with a company I can walk in and chat to people, but if I must order online then Australia only - as RMAing internationally is not only time consuming but costly as well.

If I've missed anything then please feel free to ask and I will do my best top answer quickly.

Thanks for your time reading the little novel posted above

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

For me it doesn't look like a power supply issue.

But for a new PSU you should be looking for a high quality PSU around ~450W.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fattyfatchops View Post
    I prefer to deal with a company I can walk in and chat to people, but if I must order online then Australia only - as RMAing internationally is not only time consuming but costly as well.
    Then post some links to those shops (either brick'n'mortar or online ones), please: we can't know for sure what's available to you aussies, you know.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    For me it doesn't look like a power supply issue.

But for a new PSU you should be looking for a high quality PSU around ~450W.
    450w ??? really.... even with all the junk I have connected? doing some quick napkin math would have me at around 350-400, so that means a 450 would be at a very high load while gaming.
    An while its probably not a PSU issue I'm not liking the semi modular part and the ketchup n mustard 24 pin. Plus it cant hurt to invest in a decent PSU.
    I May also have a few opportunities to borrow a 1070 for a little so having that capability would be nice too

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Then post some links to those shops (either brick'n'mortar or online ones), please: we can't know for sure what's available to you aussies, you know.
    Oh Derp, yeah that may help a little

Local shops that are of reasonable pricing are (in order of preference)
    MSY http://www.msy.com.au/home.php
    Umart http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/
    MWave https://www.mwave.com.au/

Interstate ones that have treated me well in the past are
    PCCG https://www.pccasegear.com/
    PLE https://www.ple.com.au/

Hope that helps assist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For an OCed rig with single GTX1070, 450W is much more than enough.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hope that helps assist
    This is my very personal selection from the links you supplied:

1. Antec Neo ECO II 450 Bronze $75 (MSY) $79 (PCCG)
    2. Coolermaster STORM Edition GX550 Bronze $87 (MSY) $89 (PCCG)
    3. Antec Neo ECO II 550 Bronze $95 (UMART)
    4. Corsair CX550M Bronze $95 (MSY, UMART)
    5. Fractal Design Edison M 450 Gold $95 (MWAVE)
    6. Coolermaster GM 550 Bronze $96 (MSY) $99 (MWAVE)
    7. Antec TPC-450 450W Gold $99 (UMART)
    8. Coolermaster Vanguard S Semi-Modular 550 Gold $119 (MSY)
    9. Corsair SF450 SFX Gold $124 (UMART) $129 (PCCG, PLE)
    10. CoolerMaster Vanguard Full Modular 550 Gold $139 (UMART, PCCG)
    11. FSP Hydro G 650 Gold $149 (MWAVE) $165 (PLE)
    12. Corsair RM550X Gold $149 (MSY) $155 (UMART, MWAVE, PCCG) $159 (PLE)
    The more expensive ones are better than the more affordable PSUs BUT ANY of these units will suffice with reference to your expected total power draw and it's of an (at least) enough good quality.

Please pay attention to two facts.

First of all, you have 4 drives, 1 pump and 10 fans, so you may need lots of peripheral/SATA connectors: OTOH you also have a fan controller with his own connectors, and some headers on the mobo and I don't know whether you use them or not... long story short, I didn't checked the number of peripheral connectors of those above quoted PSUs, I leave that checking as your homework according to you actual needs.
    Second warning: about the Corsair SF-450 you have also to take care of cables lenght; with reference to your Define R4, given it's an SFX unit, the cables may turn out a bit short (again, I leave this check as homework).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by quest for silence; 01-11-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is my very personal selection from the links you supplied:

Please pay attention to two facts.

Hope this helps!

WOWSERS - You really went through all those sites didnt you... Much obliged on that, However, Im after a very decent quality (Read: High quality -Platinum-ish level) unit. And it HAS to be full modular for I will be sleeving the cables myself (one of the reasons for the upgrade, not as nice / easy on semi's)

The other part is as I already have a 1070, so I may be borrowing someones as well - for a SLI config.
    Whilst this will only be a short-ish term thing I would like to have the headroom to be able to run them both - or upgrade myself in the future. From what Im getting the gist of is that if 450sih is indeed enough then a 650 should do fine for a SLI set up - providing I remove some of the fans perhaps

Perhaps Im waaay too tired, have completely over-complicated all of this for myself and should crawl back into my small dank cave I once came from :s

So anywho.....

Im comfortable with spending around the 200 aussie dollar mark for a new unit. with all that in mind is the Seasonic listed above better than the Corsair unit? or is it much of a muchness? I can find the 660w version of the Seasonic (SS-760xp11) for the same as the HX750, and with the sub 500w units being recommended by many this should suffice nicely??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what Im getting the gist of is that if 450sih is indeed enough then a 650 should do fine for a SLI set up - providing I remove some of the fans perhaps
    Uhm, no.

A 1080 SLI setup usually requires something less than 400W (AC figure, whole rig: actual DC draw is around 350-360W), a 1070 SLI setup usually requires 30-40W less than that.
    So a 450ish unit is usually more than adequate for a 1070 SLI setup (you don't have).

Im comfortable with spending around the 200 aussie dollar mark for a new unit.
    The Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 is likely the best unit you can buy and it's likely enough to run 4 GTX 1070: I guess it costs something north of $280 there in AUS.

Down to more affordable PSUs for 2 GTX1070, in my above list at least those three units has a decent quality, probably close to what you meant for, but they're not Platinum-rated:

1. CoolerMaster Vanguard Full Modular 550 Gold $139 (UMART, PCCG)
    2. FSP Hydro G 650 Gold $149 (MWAVE) $165 (PLE)
    3. Corsair RM550X Gold $149 (MSY) $155 (UMART, MWAVE, PCCG) $159 (PLE)

Broadly speaking, platinum-rated units under the 700W mark are rather scarce, indeed.

Among the very best of them we can mention:
    1. Seasonic Platinum SS-460FL2
    2. Seasonic Platinum SS-520FL2
    3. Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2
    4. Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550W
    5. Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 550W
    6. EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W
    7. Silverstone NightJar 520
    8. XFX XTS 460
    9. XFX XTS 520
    (Silverstone and XFX are re-branded Seasonics, the EVGA is a re-branded Super Flower).

I didn't check whether/where you can buy them in AUS (particularly the Super Flower and Be Quiet!) but I guess their price tags are within your budget (ballpark estimate: btw, that's the EVGA).

Anything of higher capacity would be not rational, and a waste of efficiency and money, but feel free to do what you think it's more comfortable for your habits/beliefs: at any rate, I'm done.
    Best, Luca

9. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

fattyfatchops (01-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm, no.
    Well I'll be the son of a monkey.... Thats really shaken it up.... I did not realise the new round of GPUs went so far with their efficiency, its quite literally, bananas.

You have definitely got me revising this a bit more than I originally had planned.

I went and scoured old you tube clips to see what I could find and yep, I was led astray ages back when "Oh yeah you'll definitely be better with a 750w unit if your overclocking" .....dang it....

Among the very best of them we can mention:
    Seasonic Platinum SS-460FL2
    Seasonic Platinum SS-520FL2
    Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2
    Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550W
    Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 550W
    EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W
    Silverstone NightJar 520
    XFX XTS 460
    XFX XTS 520
    Out of the ones listed - I can only really find the Seasonics here. found some Be Quiets but they're lower tier ones, The EVGA unit has capacitors in the cables so that will be a no dice on the sleeving I was gonna do, the XFX is only low tier ones as well and Super Flower, well, it might as well be a Mario Power up Flower as Id have more luck walking into a shop and finding that.

The 660 XP2 Seasonic may be it as Im not too comfortable with the fanless variants.

As much as I'd like one of the Platinum level units (well more the size that usually accompanies) I think it is just going to be over kill after all the words of everyones wisdom.

And you did get me thinking earlier with the that little Corsair RM550 unit mentioned... Hmmm
    Im going to have a quick look into some of the lower output units tomorrow.

Anyway - I want to say a big thanks to all - was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 760w Seasonic unit...
    Many many big thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rm550x has incable caps as well - it won't hurt if you removed it from the EVGA/corsair though