Thread: Future of PSU's and efficiency ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Future of PSU's and efficiency ...

Hi All

I want to open a thread about how the PSU's are in the future.
    I will begin with a 6 year prognost: Titanium level at Gold prices ?
    Any clue what will be beyond Titanium level.The titanium efficiency is around 91% / 96% / 94%

We may have a standard with 99% at 50% load ?

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/u...on-System1.jpg
    Ryzen 1700
    Asus B350 Prime plus
    16gb ram 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon RX Vega56
    LDLC QS-650+ (seasonic g series 650w rebrand)
    KIngston Hyperx 240gb
    WD Raptor 500gb
    W10 x64
    Asus Xonar ST

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I will begin with a 6 year prognost: Titanium level at Gold prices ?
    Could be yes. But Andyson already has some relative cheap 80PLUS Titanium PSU's. Like the Andyson Titanium N 700W, a great PSU priced like a high-end 80PLUS Gold PSU. It only isn't available here, but it should be available in Asia.

Any clue what will be beyond Titanium level.
    Higher efficiency.

The titanium efficiency is around 91% / 96% / 94%
    No 80PLUS Titanium is 90/92/94/90% efficiency at 10/20/50/100% load. 80PLUS Titanium 230V EU has a efficiency of 90/94/96/94% at 10/20/50/100% load, but such a PSU doesn't exist yet. You're looking at the efficiency of redundant power supplies, which is something totally different.

We may have a standard with 99% at 50% load ?
    We are far away from that, that probably isn't possible with the current ATX standard with 3,3V, 5V, 12V, 5V and 5Vsb. You probably need a totally new standard for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not in the know of the advancements made in the electronics that would impact SMPS efficiency. But it's a given they'll get more efficient and Titanium will trickle down to reachable prices. It's just a matter of time. Also tighter vreg and one-digit ripple.

However, I personally would happily trade all that for Ecova to actually monitor the products they're certifying as bait-and-switch is happenning agressively and companies that do that must get prosecuted.

Also, 80 PLUS sorely needs updating to include topology (no more group regulated designs in 2017 please). ATX needs to enforce efficiency and modern designs. Maybe also do away with 3.3V and replace it with 20V to charge via USB Type-C.

Most importantly, though won't happen anytime soon, is that countries need to check the fire hazards they're allowing on the shelves and that's not some 3rd world issues as you can still buy this engineering marvel in freaking USA!

I know that's not what you asked about and sorry for going off topic but I'll keep repeating that until the cows come home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We are far away from that, that probably isn't possible with the current ATX standard with 3,3V, 5V, 12V, 5V and 5Vsb. You probably need a totally new standard for that.

...can't wait for a new standaerd.We are 6% from 100% efficiency.That's in itself is a huge achievement and we are in 2016...

Most importantly, though won't happen anytime soon, is that countries need to check the fire hazards they're allowing on the shelves and that's not some 3rd world issues as you can still buy this engineering marvel in freaking USA!
    It's funny that you have the Avatar picture named ... Hercules
    Any coicidence with the PSU's in that link? ... I stopped buying that kind of cheap PSU's.In my country those costs around 10-12$ /piece ... Pizza price for a PSU ... imagine that ...

I know that's not what you asked about and sorry for going off topic but I'll keep repeating that until the cows come home.
    It's not offtopic...Actually changing the mentality is very ONTOPIC...In many institutions and corporate the advancement in technology is considered an evolution but actually changing the mentality is the ....evolution...When you want to change the mentality humans evolve ...The "toys" they invent from that new mentality is just an exterior sympthom...
    A new slogan comes to mind .... "Learning to engineer a new mentality" .

Maybe not the cows need to come home but the humans behind the "cows" / PSU's needs to come home...
    Are the human beings obssesed with tech advancement so much that they are too blind the human itself needs some atention...
    Ryzen 1700
    Asus B350 Prime plus
    16gb ram 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon RX Vega56
    LDLC QS-650+ (seasonic g series 650w rebrand)
    KIngston Hyperx 240gb
    WD Raptor 500gb
    W10 x64
    Asus Xonar ST

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myststars View Post
    It's funny that you have the Avatar picture named ... Hercules
    Any coicidence with the PSU's in that link? ... I stopped buying that kind of cheap PSU's.In my country those costs around 10-12$ /piece ... Pizza price for a PSU ... imagine that ...
    Nope. Not a coincidence. That's the "logo" of that "brand". It somewhat became a meme here after it got reviewed here.

It's not offtopic...Actually changing the mentality is very ONTOPIC...In many institutions and corporate the advancement in technology is considered an evolution but actually changing the mentality is the ....evolution...When you want to change the mentality humans evolve ...The "toys" they invent from that new mentality is just an exterior sympthom...
    A new slogan comes to mind .... "Learning to engineer a new mentality" .
    This thread clearly discusses "Future of PSU's and efficiency" and diverting from the main topic won't please everyone but I wholeheartedly believe that safer units and strict regulation are more important than the extra 6% efficiency.

Maybe not the cows need to come home but the humans behind the "cows" / PSU's needs to come home...
    Are the human beings obssesed with tech advancement so much that they are too blind the human itself needs some atention...
    I'd like to further discuss that but this is a PSU discussion forum.