Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I power my evga 1070 with 8pin pcie connector and a 2xmolex to 8pin adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiHydrogenOxide View Post
    The Molex 4 pin to PEG connectors are notorious for having bad connections and catching fire. This is also seen in Molex to SATA power adapters too.
    This is scary stuff; I have a tendency to treat contacts with silicone oil for better contact (even RAM).

One reason I recap old power supplies is that I don't like molex connectors; I guess I now know why.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-12-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you can use 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, which should be safer than Molex > 8-pin adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    This is scary stuff; I have a tendency to treat contacts with silicone oil for better contact (even RAM).

One reason I recap old power supplies is that I don't like molex connectors; I guess I now know why.
    Do you replace all capacitors in old power supplies for real? When do you consider a PSU old enough to do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus0909 View Post
    Do you replace all capacitors in old power supplies for real? When do you consider a PSU old enough to do this?
    Not the primaries (unless one has failed), and not based on age.

If even one secondary capacitor has failed or shows signs of failing, I change all the secondaries; did this recently for an old Dell power supply and longer ago for many G5 Macs and many a computer monitor. For other supplies if they are using Ltec, CapXon or the like for the secondaries I recap even if they show no signs of distress (did this for another Dell recently). For replacements I use low ESR (105C) Panasonic, NCC, Nichicon, Rubycon or the like and make sure to get the same diameter (I stick to the original capacity and voltage). Unlike with Ltec or CapXon secondaries, I do not replace good Teapo capacitors or CapXon primaries (primaries don't need to be low ESR, so don't need a water based electrolyte); I don't even mind 85C capacitors on the primaries. My supplies don't use polymer capacitors, so I leave them out of this discussion.

Have also been known to recap mother boards but only if the capacitors are failing; the large ground planes are heat sinks that make the work hard (power supplies are easy). In this case it was Nichicon capacitors in a G5 Macs failing from the capacitor plague era
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    Despite this I still use Nichicon capacitors

When replacing good capacitors I keep them regardless of brand as then I can then perform a fast repair on a unit to keep it running while I await quality replacements, so the down time is minimal. I don't replace the goop that comes with new units, but install replacement capacitors close to the board so they don't move around; also use leaded solder for easier work and to avoid tin whiskers
    http://www.tinwhisker.us/

If there is flux on the board, I tend to scrub it off with isopropyl alcohol. I re-oil the fan (if of sleeve type) with fully synthetic motor oil, and anticipate the end result will outlast the computer and so need no further attention beyond dusting; for this I use a DataVac electric blower rather than 'canned air'. Of course I use silicone oil on the power supply connectors.

My units get pushed hard as I don't use air conditioning in the Summer; saves me a good amount of money, but probably doubles the rate the capacitors age.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.