Thread: Zalman ZM1200-EBT Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow Zalman ZM1200-EBT Review

Let's take another look at Zalman's power supplies today. We'll go with the top unit of the EBT range of units, at 1200 watts. This is an 80 Plus Gold beast of a unit currently only available in Europe, but may cross the pond to our back yard someday. But do we want it here? There's only one way to find out.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=498

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (12-12-2016), crmaris (12-13-2016), Cyrix (12-12-2016), Internet (12-12-2016), L'acquer (12-12-2016), Nuckles_56 (12-13-2016), Philipus II (12-12-2016), quest for silence (12-12-2016), Tator Tot (12-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the excellent review master wolf.

Glad Sirfa is upping the quality on soldering, and all Jap caps are the good stuff.

Though i was thinking, what could cause those sudden spikes? Problem with the transformer?

Still i have a question when you said

"A CM6800 controls both the switching and PFC duties in this unit. We've seen a lot of those being used over the years."

I noticed all around that board there were tantalum caps, are they still common in PSU's?
    Last edited by Cyrix; 12-13-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: my apologies for the stupid questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And on this unit, those spikes are coming up enough that I have to consider them in my scoring. A few random ones here and there I can let go, but not when they're there all the time. In this case, they're not quite bad enough to keep the minor rails from getting excellent scoring, but the 12V side of things has this unit peaking at over 60mV so that will be a modest scoring slide for sure.
    Ripple is quite precisely defined in many documents.In none of them is not mentioned that occasional spikes should be ignored in the measurement.

If spikes are absent on an oscilloscope in each cycle, does not imply that they are not there. Oscilloscopes have their limitations. In these cases only right aproach is to look at the waveform in the switching frequency range, and then make some conclusions.
    On these graphs we can only guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ITelektro For This Useful Post:

cheapie (12-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

according to my experience so far spikes will be shown in any case, even with narrow bandwidth/range, however you have to have triggering enabled in order to catch them or the scope's software to record the max value (most don't unfortunately).

Back in the day I asked from Stingray the source code in order to add this but they denied it to me. Their loss since I would do it for free.

Also I agree, spikes in any case should be included in the final score. Personally I count them however each reviewer follows his own methodology and I totally respect that.

Thanks for the review Wolf!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    according to my experience so far spikes will be shown in any case, even with narrow bandwidth/range, however you have to have triggering enabled in order to catch them or the scope's software to record the max value (most don't unfortunately).
    But in that case we can analyze in detail the cause and the relevance of these anomalies as well as frequency they occur.
    Random noise will occur randomly at wave form, swithing noise will occour at exacly same time on wave form. Freq and energy content will be diferent so impotance of random noise and switching noise are not the same.
    It is important to note that random noise does not necessarily come from the power supply on the test.
    That is why the proposal in such cases is additional screenschot at switching frequency.

Personally I count them however each reviewer follows his own methodology and I totally respect that.
    Of course.