Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU Failing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Failing?

Recently I lost my TX650 V1, which lasted about 5/6 years.

I have the habit of unplugging the PSU from the wall everytime I go to work or leave. For the last ~ 6 months of life of that PSU, everytime I plugged it in the wall it would make a *pop* sound. Eventually it failed (minor explosion when I tried to boot.). So I bought a RM650x. But everytime I plug it in the wall it makes a *click* (almost unnoticeable) noise, not *pop*. Am I being paranoid or there might be something wrong with the outlet (no ground). Any ideas on what I could do to prevent any kind of damage or find out the problem?

Also, the RM650x is making a coil whine noise under load, But I don't think it's related.

EDIT: I've been using a MOV based surge protector between the outlet and the PSU, but stopped since I got the RM650x
    Last edited by klein99; 11-30-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you sure it's coming from the psu, and not the wall outlet? It may spark when you plug it in, especially if you constantly plug and unplug it from the wall.

Because when you plug in a psu, you're charging up the primary cap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have a problem with your electrical system since you unplug your computer all the time? Personally I leave my computers plugged in all the time, but the power grid here is very stable and the power is clean.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
    Are you sure it's coming from the psu, and not the wall outlet? It may spark when you plug it in, especially if you constantly plug and unplug it from the wall.

Because when you plug in a psu, you're charging up the primary cap.
    The pop sound from the TX650 was 100% from the PSU. The click from the RM650x I'm 80% positive, I will plug it and turn the switch on trying to listen closely next time and see if I'm 100%. But I guarantee it's not from the wall. I know what you mean from the wall spark, and it's not that. The RM650x makes a noise which doesn't seem "electrical".

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Do you have a problem with your electrical system since you unplug your computer all the time? Personally I leave my computers plugged in all the time, but the power grid here is very stable and the power is clean.
    No problems, not that the power grid here is good. I just do it because we have lots of thunder storms and it gives me a peace of mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klein99 View Post
    The pop sound from the TX650 was 100% from the PSU. The click from the RM650x I'm 80% positive, I will plug it and turn the switch on trying to listen closely next time and see if I'm 100%. But I guarantee it's not from the wall. I know what you mean from the wall spark, and it's not that. The RM650x makes a noise which doesn't seem "electrical".
    Could be a mechanical click then.

You may have the rarest rm650x of all: One with a relay!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be a mechanical click then.

You may have the rarest rm650x of all: One with a relay!
    Yeah, my first thought was a relay, but I searched and found out there is no relay. Should I keep observing or RMA it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, my first thought was a relay, but I searched and found out there is no relay. Should I keep observing or RMA it?
    Does it work right now?

If yes, don't bother. if it dies down the road, well you still got 9 years and n number of days remaining...
    Do you have no earth for your psu??? are you running your psu on a 2pin power cord?

If no, rma.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it work right now?

If yes, don't bother. if it dies down the road, well you still got 9 years and n number of days remaining...
    Do you have no earth for your psu??? are you running your psu on a 2pin power cord?

If no, rma.
    3 pin, but I checked with a multimeter and there is no actual earth. I live in this house for 20+ years and have not had any problems. Think this could be an issue for the equipment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 pin, but I checked with a multimeter and there is no actual earth. I live in this house for 20+ years and have not had any problems. Think this could be an issue for the equipment?
    Wait, what? How did you check?

Honestly, if there is no earth but your house has 3 pins (meaning that the 3rd earth pin just goes to nowhere), get it sorted out asap. That's a safety hazard, it's not just your pc that can electrocute you, it's a lot of things (Washing machine etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, what? How did you check?

Honestly, if there is no earth but your house has 3 pins (meaning that the 3rd earth pin just goes to nowhere), get it sorted out asap. That's a safety hazard, it's not just your pc that can electrocute you, it's a lot of things (Washing machine etc)
    Measuring the voltage between phase/ground and phase/earth