Thread: Upgrading my unreliable Corsair AX860i PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Upgrading my unreliable Corsair AX860i PSU

Hi,
    I feel that my Corsair AX860i PSU is pretty unreliable.

I had one of this unit and it lasted 1.5 years, after 1.5 years it started creating some surge errors on my motherboards with random hard reboot.
    The old firmware had a stupid fan management and it was too loudy for evertything else than a noisy office.

Now I spent 125€ (more than half of a new unit) to ship my defective PSU to Corsair to get a new unit.
    The new unit has no fan issue and no surge issue but I don't trust this unit anymore.

Searching the net there are plenty of people complaining about the same issue, it seems that this unit does not last more than 2 years without creating reboot problems.

What could be a good upgrade for the Corsair AX860i?
    I would like a minimum of 850W since I have an overclocked 140W CPU and two overclocked 250W GPU in SLI.

I would prefer a non Corsair product, please.

Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you're exaggerating since you won't see the other side of the coin: a lot of other people running the AX860i fine. None PSU is perfect, of coursem, but I doubt Corsair (or Flextronics) joked any time with the AXi's quality.

It's also a little hard to say what PSUs stay on the same level. Anyway, it's up to you decide to change or not this unit. What do you have available there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've posted this across multiple threads now. Imo you are just paranoid that's all .

If it works, it works. If it dies, buy a new one. But I doubt it'd die anytime soon. Save your money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

silly question that amounts to spam.

You know what is available. You are just posting to repeat your dissatisfaction.

That is the definition of spam...asking questions you already know the answer to instigate a response.

Keep or buy any 850-1000 watt PLAT / TITANIUM unit that you want.

Then post in three years that you have solved the problem and never experienced a single re-boot.

At that point in time you will have something to post about other than your "feelings"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if you bought another brand and that also had an issue, then you would never trust that brand again either? You'd run out of brands pretty quick if you were unlucky, hehe. I've been running Corsair PSUs for the nearly 10 past years and never had a problem. So I can't share your opinion that they are unreliable.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    You know what is available."
    Although I didn't see any shootout between Seasonic Prime Titanium and any Super Flower Leadex Titanium-based PSU.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Seasonic Prime Titanium and Super Flower Leadex Titanium aren't good options for him, you can also find problems with those units if you Google them. He needs a PSU that no one has, because then it's impossible to find people with problems on the interwebs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

The_Assimilator (11-09-2016), turkey3_scratch (11-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you all for the help

I don't agree with most of you.
    I buy a new PC almost every year, every year I do an RMA with Corsair, one or two time a year.

they are fast in doing an RMA but shipping costs money, it seems that they prefer to RMA some units over doing extensive quality control.

I bought an H80i and done an RMA for it two times,
    I bought an H80i GT and done an RMA for it two times.
    three RMA for the same SSD,
    one RMA for the PSU, I spend more money to RMA corsair's products than to buy other components.

leave it apart firmware problems like H80i having a non working led (it looses configuration at reboot) or the AX860i fan problem no where advertised.

if I buy a product with a design problem I want to get my product fixed for free. I don't want to pay the rma shipping and I don't want to discover the problems by myself, if there is a design flaw, you need to recall the defective units.

how can you sell an AIO that have a LED that does not work as expected? where is the QC?
    how can you sell a PSU that have a fan that goes up and down continuosly and say nothing? where is the QC?

if they tend to hide design flaws, who knows if the dying units are not part of another design flaw?

There are different manufacturers involved in the products I buy other than Corsair but I complain a very low QC from Corsair and the fact that they hide the design flaws.

...and sincerely I don't like their policy, if you complain on a forum they create a label for a free rma shipping, otherwise you pay the shipment.

at the end I bought a seasonic prime for a new similar PC.
    this corsair will remain in the old rig for a while...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Must be your luck m8.

Only had to RMA an ax1500i, pretty much my whole setup is corsair.

Also, h80i and that you must have link, it'll obviously show a different color until windows/link starts up in the background

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

at the end I bought a seasonic prime for a new similar PC.
    this corsair will remain in the old rig for a while...
    Right...the rest is a rant on your experience with Corsair.
    I have no problem with ranting. I can hang with the best.

However I believe in honest and direct vilification. Post that you have a problem with their quality or service...not that you want a recommendation for a new PSU.

Those who read and post are not going to be suckered into responding to to such spam baiting...

Oh, snap ....