Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need PSU with more juice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need PSU with more juice

Hi guys,
    I need help in choosing a new PSU. My current Super Flower 500W cant handle a 8800GTX, 3 drives, X-Fi, 5 fans, and a Opty 165. MBM5 says the 12v is at 11.68 during idle and during load (playing games) it drops down to 10.68v at the lowest and crashes every now and then. I had to drop the clocks on my Opty and 8800 to get it semi-stable.

I've been researching here (love the site, only decent place that i've found to find good info on PSUs) and have narrowed it down to the Corsair 620W, Enermax Infiniti 720W, or the Silverstone Decathalon 750W. I want at a modular PSU, good efficiency, and I'm planning on watercooling this stuff in a few months. Besides the Corsair, what are your thoughts on the Infiniti 720W and DA750? Theres plenty of info about the Corsair but very little at the moment about the other two so its hard to make a decision. Is there anything else that i should be looking at as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Infiniti and Decathalon are new and it take some time to see some good reviews.
    Probably both will be very good PSU's.
    Corsair is a good choice. You have also Thermaltake ToughPower 750.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep, read some reviews on the Infiniti and it sounds good in general but would like someone to review it as detailed as Jonny's reviews to really see. The Decathalon i can understand not having much about it since it was supposedly just released today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the Corsair, they are GREAT!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol i posted my want for a new PSU in someone elses thread on Hardforum and you replied to it too david. Your everywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricey20 View Post
    lol i posted my want for a new PSU in someone elses thread on Hardforum and you replied to it too david. Your everywhere
    I try!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great thread! I'm almost in the same boat as you. However, I sort of wanted to get a PSU that would take another 8800GTX card in the future. I'd hate to buy a reduced price 8800GTX in the future only to have to fork over money for a new PSU.

I'm interested in Silverstone DA-750 (Decathalon) because it has 4 PCIE cables and is modular. But, I don't see it out yet...

I'm also VERY interested in a relatively quiet PSU.

My current rankings
    1. Silverstone Decathalon DA-750W
    2. Corsair 620W
    3. ThermalTake Toughpower 750W
    4. Enermax Infiniti 720W

That article about the Corsair 620W running 2 8800GTX cards pushed it up to #2... but I am a little skeptical of it pushing 5 HD and 1 DVD a swell.
    DQ
    Current System: Antec Sonata 2 Case | Silverstone Decathlon DA750 | Evga 680i | E6600 2.4ghz OC'd to 3.2ghz, 1.40v, 55c in TAT | 2x1gig OCZ Platinum 800mhz 4-4-4-12 2.1v | Evga 8800GTX | 2xSeagate 320gig RAID 0 | 1xSeagate 500gig | X-Fi ExtremeGamer| Dell 2405
    Current Games I'm Playing: C&C3 Demo, Battlefield 2, World of Warcraft, Hamsterball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had no clue about the release of the infiniti. It too is seeming pretty interesting. I have my heart set on the DA750 due to it being 30w more, 4a more, single 12v rail and quad pcie as well. The infiniti based on reviews I quickly skimmed through had very nice tight rails not dropping at all as well as very good efficiency and a larger, quiet fan.

I really don't know if I should start thinking about the infiniti over the Decathlon. hmmmm..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Infiniti has a quieter fan? It is bigger huh? Hmm....

Well, I just got 2 emails from the sales department at Silverstone and they stated that Newegg.com should have the DA750 in stock by now. Here is there message:

Hi, Derrick,

I'm sure newegg.com got it. It probably needs to a couple day for their system to post on the web. Please wait a day so and check back again. We'll call them to expedite the process. Thanks,

Sales
    DQ
    Current System: Antec Sonata 2 Case | Silverstone Decathlon DA750 | Evga 680i | E6600 2.4ghz OC'd to 3.2ghz, 1.40v, 55c in TAT | 2x1gig OCZ Platinum 800mhz 4-4-4-12 2.1v | Evga 8800GTX | 2xSeagate 320gig RAID 0 | 1xSeagate 500gig | X-Fi ExtremeGamer| Dell 2405
    Current Games I'm Playing: C&C3 Demo, Battlefield 2, World of Warcraft, Hamsterball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NCIX in Canada should be having it anytime as well. They should have it a couple weeks ago but apparently Silverstone had an issue with obtaining one of the modular cables that were needed to be packaged with the unit so packaging was behind. I am told by the 3rd of March everything should be stocked and ready to roll.