Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current spike detection by housekeeping/supervisor IC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Regarding protections and housekeeping, I feel like we've talked about this more than enough by now...

Do we need a sticky covering the basics of in-circuit measurements and programmable response? I might actually care enough to make one in the foreseeable future if so.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    And as a matter of fact it runs fine with a 400W PSU. So what? Do they count or not? I guess they don't.

Anecdote: for some time I run a GTX 460 SLI off an Enermax ErPRO 80+ (EES350AWT-ERP IIRC): it is 350W rated but it never gave me an issue (and it's still in service running a 4.1GHz Xeon X5460 with a FirePro 4900).
    Just because the protections aren't triggered doesn't necessarily mean they should't count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Regarding protections and housekeeping, I feel like we've talked about this more than enough by now...
    I don't think we have. It's apparently a more complex matter than I initially thought. The way Quest for Silence just described it, changes a lot about the way I think of these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IF it detects a surge it sets sort of "warning state", then it senses again after the programmed delay (50, 75, 100ms) the current, and IF the current surge still stands, THEN it triggers the PSU shut down,
    When an over current condition appears, OCD signal change state to 1. If time of this state exceeded de-glitch time for OCD(Tg1) then fault protetcion output pin will change state (FPOB).
    In other words, it does not senes again after programed delay, seneses all the time but triger fault protetcion if that OCD state exceeded programmed delay time.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITelektro View Post
    In other words, it does not sense again after programed delay, senses all the time but triger fault protetcion if that OCD state exceeded programmed delay time.
    Thanks. Even so the "practical" results would seem similar/the same: the current "surge" has to last that programmed delay to trigger the relevant protection, right?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the EES350AWT-ERP specs:
    12V1 = ATX, PCI-E
    12V2 = P8, SATA, Molex
    12V1 must have been tight, IF they were 240VA compliant, if higher like 25A easy for GTX460 SLI (was after I left E)
    (Or if you used one PEG from Molex adaptors no prob even for 240VA)

For the ICs: They check instanteous at a certain interval, no matter what happens during the interval.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. Even so the "practical" results would seem similar/the same: the current "surge" has to last that programmed delay to trigger the relevant protection, right?
    Right
    then it senses again after the programmed delay (50, 75, 100ms) the current, and IF the current surge still stands
    Looks very similar but pratctical results will be significant different. Will try to explain.
    Current spikes are quite often, in case that current protection check current only in those two moments (for example) there is big chance that it will catch two random and short spikes and trigger protection, unnecessarily.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITelektro View Post
    Current spikes are quite often, in case that current protection check current only in those two moments (for example) there is big chance that it will catch two random and short spikes and trigger protection, unnecessarily.
    So, with reference to the 7518 datasheet, how a typical OCD monitoring cycle would actually work?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its quite basic datasheet so there is no detail information.
    If I understand well, you asking me how this works, it will be quite difficult to me for explain.
    At input there is few op amps that works as comparator. So if voltage on input is higher then reference, voltage on output of Op amp will go to "vss"(logic 1). That signal goes to OR logic circuit. OR logic circuit will have on output state high if any of input state is high. That in our case means that if any current value is higher than set value of monitored rail OR logic circuit will be triggered and change state to "high" (1). Then that signal goes to logic AND. On AND logic we have now one condition, to trigger, second one is delay od 75ms(startup delay Tdelay3). When both are at logic "1" AND output will be "high"(1). If that signal is high longer then 150us(tg1) then state FPOB change its state. I think
    For WT7518D-N080.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never get punched in the face because everything goes over my head.