Thread: New Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Build

Hello there!

Long time lurker, first time poster )

Thank you Jonny Guru for spreading such highly valued knowledge to the masses through your reviews and forums.

I would love some PSU advice from anyone that can spare the time around here, as this is the best place to ask such a question.

I want to build an all around machine for work. I work on some tasks that require high clock speed and others that require a high core count, so I am stuck with Intel's enthousiast platform that combines both. I am going to be using:

X99 platform (till Skylake-E comes out)

Oc'ed 5960X with a noctua dh15 air-cooler

Oc'd titan pascal card for rendering, VR and cuda work

64 gigs of ddr4 3200mhz 1.35v ram

4 samsung ssd's (nvme and sata)

Maybe a pci-e expansion card for extra nvme or an audio card like pro tools hdx.

The Titan Pascal by itself seems to draw something close to 300 watts oc'd and under full load while the CPU being oc'd and full loaded is close to 250 and I am guessing that its going to be the same deal with Skylake-E too. I have no clue of what the 1.35v ram draws, or the 4 ssd drives and the scenarios where my gfx card and the cpu will be fully loaded at the same time are not that many. Its either one or the other depending on what I am working on.

I would love to pick a PSU (and a case, but thats a different topic) that I can keep for many many years since those are parts that you don't need to upgrade often. The only upgrades to this system I see myself having later is maybe a water cooling solution If I can ever be convinced that its quiet and safe and I will have no leaks on the rest of my PC parts. I am also thinking of adding a second graphics card down the road -if- DX12 makes multi gpu implementation better than the current sli/crossfire which I do not fancy at all and If I ever do end up getting another card I don't mind running the PSU at close to 100% usage so I wouldn't want to plan my psu selection for it.

What PSU would you recommend for my purposes? I think that a max of 200-250 euros is as far as I can spend given my budget and I would love a long warranty as longevity is imporant for me ) From my needs I would guess that 1100+ watts would be enough (?) but I dont have the knowledge that the experts have in this forum.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you have the money...get a Seasonic PRIME.

If you want something cheaper, that gets the job done almost as well:

Corsair RMx/RMi / EVGA G2.

850W would be plenty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for answering sir )

850 watts was something I had no idea that would do the job. I though you were supposed to have some kind of overhead so this is why I guessed that I would need something over 1000 watts.

Would the life expectancy reduce if I have both the cpu and gpu working at full load at the same time for an extended period, say 4-5 hours a day provided I use a 850watts option? I guess its going to be pretty close to max capacity.

Is any of your recommendations more silent than the rest? Not doing well with noise in a work environment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

A high-end 850W should be enough with two overclocked Titan Pascal cards and a overclocked 5960X as long as you overclocks aren't to extreme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not broadwell e instead...? Oh and good luck getting your RAM to 3200 with 100mhz base clock, it's not very easy on a 5960x.

Skylake e is gonna need a new mobo- much bigger socket apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

600W for two OC GPUs
    250W for his heavily overclocked CPU

His system under the right loads could surpass the 850W rating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
    Why not broadwell e instead...? Oh and good luck getting your RAM to 3200 with 100mhz base clock, it's not very easy on a 5960x.

Skylake e is gonna need a new mobo- much bigger socket apparently.
    I know that I will need to buy a new mobo along with the new skylake chips and I won't mind doing that. If zen delivers I could go with that instead but I doubt that it would match skylake-e given the leaks already. I am getting the 5960x and x99 at a very decent price, second hand, so I am not going to lose any money by reselling them later.

I really just want to replace the mobo and the cpu when its time, while keeping the ram/ssd/psu/case parts intact.

Wouldn't the 4 ssd drives consume some power though? Like some power draw from the pci lanes for the nvme?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. And I wouldn't count on Zen, some people counted on amd for the rx 480 and sold their 980s and even 980ti cards.

We don't know which ssds you are getting. I'd say a 1000w psu is more appropriate instead of 850w, based on personal experience with a 5960x. But my 5960x runs at 4.7ghz, a bit of the silicon lottery plays a role in the speed you get. Also, just to let you know, even with some (rather ignorant) people on OC.NET saying a nhd15 can cool a chip like the 5960x with a heavy oc, but to be brutally honest, get a h110i instead. Sure a nhd15 can almost compete with an aio, but at those clocks, every degree counts.

HX1000i/RM1000i/1000PS/1000P2/T2/Seasonic prime equivalent are all excellent psus you cannot go wrong with.

FYI, you probably won't get your ram to 3200mhz. So while I guess it's worth buying 3200mhz ram for future proofing, don't expect to just boot it up using xmp and be on your way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
    No. And I wouldn't count on Zen, some people counted on amd for the rx 480 and sold their 980s and even 980ti cards.
    You're blaming AMD for people being stupid? Performance of Polaris was expect to be around Hawaii, I could tell you that months before launch. And it does perform like a Hawaii R9 290 (RX 470) and Haswaii R9 290X (RX 480), just as expected.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (10-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    You're blaming AMD for people being stupid? Performance of Polaris was expect to be around Hawaii, I could tell you that months before launch. And it does perform like a Hawaii R9 290 (RX 470) and Haswaii R9 290X (RX 480), just as expected.

No, I'm not blaming amd for peoples own stupidity. It's just that sometimes people get a bit overexcited from the hype train ¯\_(ツ)_/¯