Thread: What would cause this kind of damage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What would cause this kind of damage?

I recently had a power supply go bang on me after turning it on. Loud bang and a bit of a spark and a burning smell. None of my other components were damaged though so in a way the PSU did its job there.

When I removed the PSU I heard rattling. I shook the PSU a bit and two small bits of shrapnel fell out of the fan grill. They were green but had a silver interior, they looked like they had broken off a larger component. After shining a torch through the grill I eventually discovered their source. A green component labelled NTC801:

http://i.cubeupload.com/aDVvJM.jpg

Its green in that picture, but theres silver where the bits have broken off. What could cause this?

Might be worth noting:
    - This is a 1300w PSU but it has only been run at around 80-300w for the past two years ive had it. Its a holdover from the GPU mining days, it was never stressed by mining though because the craze was over by the time I got a hold of it. I don't know if running a high wattage PSU at such a low load for a long time is bad for a PSU or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which brand/model is it?

NTC is a (Thermistor)

What would cause it to fail.

A short circuit,open circuit,or offset resistance.

What kind of system do you have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Judging from that stylized "A" on the fan hub overhead, it's an Antec HCP-1300. This is probably one of the highest quality PSUs on the market, build-quality-wise. Which makes the NTC failure that much more ironic.

Anyway, an NTC thermistor could only fail for getting way too hot (think something like 300°C onwards), too many thermal cycles (usually these things are rated for 5-50k cycles in the entry-level segment), a breach (fusing) current (doubt it, since the PSU has a good enough fuse that would blow first) or simply a dud NTC which slipped through.

Is the PSU still under warranty? Best RMA it.

As for running such a PSU on low loads - no, that won't do any harm whatsoever. You're not really using it very efficiently that way, though. Still, no harm in going overboard and selecting a PSU that can provide 1 kW more than you'll ever need... Seems to be a recurring theme in recent years.

Paging Dr. Joerg... GI_Joe, anything you can do for our friend here?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Which brand/model is it?
    A mighty Antec HCP-1300 Platinum, I guess.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Judging from that stylized "A" on the fan hub overhead, it's an Antec HCP-1300. This is probably one of the highest quality PSUs on the market, build-quality-wise. Which makes the NTC failure that much more ironic.

Anyway, an NTC thermistor could only fail for getting way too hot (think something like 300°C onwards), too many thermal cycles (usually these things are rated for 5-50k cycles in the entry-level segment), a breach (fusing) current (doubt it, since the PSU has a good enough fuse that would blow first) or simply a dud NTC which slipped through.

Is the PSU still under warranty? Best RMA it.

As for running such a PSU on low loads - no, that won't do any harm whatsoever. You're not really using it very efficiently that way, though. Still, no harm in going overboard and selecting a PSU that can provide 1 kW more than you'll ever need... Seems to be a recurring theme in recent years.

Paging Dr. Joerg... GI_Joe, anything you can do for our friend here?
    That's what i thought how can an NTC thermistor fail, then i read it up in a book i have, but the temp thing didn't come to my mind most are rated 200-300 degrees celsius, what could cause it to get THAT hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No idea... Usually an exceedingly high current (as compared to the NTC's maximum rating which depends on the dielectric breakdown resistance of its material), or impurities, micro-cracks and imperfections which may create hotspots in the thermistor itself (or allow moisture in and promote crystal growth or better conduction that planned). Would need to see the actual device to be able to tell, really.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys sorry for neglecting the model number. Yes it was an HCP 1300w. Ive already RMA'ed it and received a brand new unit from Antec. Ive been using a backup CX500M in the meantime.

My rig is self built. Its nothing particularly power hungry:
    Xeon 2683 V3
    Asus X99-A
    R9 280X
    32GB DDR4
    Define R4 case
    and of course the HCP 1300

I took the pic before I RMA'ed the PSU in case Antec wanted to know more but they seemed happy to just send me a new one. Anyways I just wondered what could've caused the failure in the first place and what the green thing was. I was a bit worried that the consistent low load might have had something to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxp779 View Post
    I took the pic before I RMA'ed the PSU in case Antec wanted to know more but they seemed happy to just send me a new one. Anyways I just wondered what could've caused the failure in the first place and what the green thing was. I was a bit worried that the consistent low load might have had something to do with it.
    Besides giving you poor efficiency (the sweet spot will always been the 20-80% load range), the low stress wouldn't cause something like that.

As it was stated above; you may have simply gotten unlucky and the part was a partial dud from the factory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice to read the Antec's RMA service is as good as it was years ago.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W