Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Got Money Left Over - So What Did I Forget?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Stranger is referring to what is called a back plane -

Here is a sample link of some:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=0&Ntk=all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The BadAxe2 (rev 305) arrived today!

That board is beautiful and the retail boxed version is beyond a doubt the most complete (with all kinds of useful goodies like sleeved and rounded IDE and floppy cables) and a bunch of other stuff too.
    For anybody considering one of these, get the retail boxed version!
    The documentation that comes with the board is also the best I have ever seen from Intel.

Mwave has them "retail boxed" for less than most online retailers charge for the OEM version.
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=BA23276
    That is where I got mine from.

OK, back to work for me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on your Bad Axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Pipe Jimmy View Post
    OK, I see what you mean.
    If it is something that you will be sliding drives in and out of again and again, then certainly spend the money and get a good one.
    Anything less and you will just break it, and that will happen an in-opportune time.
    I couldn't agree more. A lot of neweggs options connect the HD directly to the internal SATA and power cord, by shoving the drive in and relying on the tray guides to match the connectors correctly. If you mount the drive a little off or the rails aren't aligned exactly right that could be trouble. The two you found have the tray make the connection which seems much safer--I would rather risk damaging a tray than a drive.

The internal version from Granite Digital is only $60. It looks a lot more solid than the ones on newegg and actually has detailed info on how it works available in the pdf version of the manual. Most of the vendor pages for the other ones I looked at were distressingly free of concrete information. Never heard of Granite Digital before but what little If have found is all very positive--they seem to be more geared towards business than home use, which seems good in this case. The startech looks better than what I saw on Newegg(or anywhere else so far) too.

Sure I could make a "file server" system and put everything on their but that means having a whole nother system to fuss with. I also want to make a complete mirror of the basic OS and applications, and then take the drive out and leave it unconnected as a last resort. I haven't lost system drives that often but it is never fun.

@ Veno(V) I had never heard the term "Back Plane" before, but GPJ was on the right track--a higher quality version of a single bay "mobile rack."
    Last edited by Stranger; 03-02-2007 at 12:27 AM.