Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi card for desktop computer with good driver support

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wifi card for desktop computer with good driver support

Any tips on a good one? I've looked around, but I'm uncertain which manufacturer and model has the best driver support for Windows 10. I often see people complaining about this OS having pretty lousy driver support for wi-fi cards and USB dongles. I have a crappy USB wi-fi dongle that only works on Windows 7, but will not work on Windows 10 at all.

I've been running a cable to the router to my desktop computer since forever but I'm tired of having the cable run from the living room (where the router sits) to my bedroom where I have the computer, because the cable is just in the way and I want to get a decent wi-fi card for my rig. I'm willing to spend some money, but of course not go completely over board. Maybe somewhere in the area of +/- $100 (or the equivalent in my currency).

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A pair of powerline adapter should be preferred, IMO.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's a solution too I guess. I'll look into what's available.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    A pair of powerline adapter should be preferred, IMO.
    From rich personal experience, those are usually more trouble than they're worth. I've tried Netgear, TP-Link, Devolo, ASUS, TrendNet and D-Link. All of them proved unstable and froze at least once a week, with some of them freezing as often as twice daily.

When I say "personal", I actually mean I've had numerous customers using powerline adapters, who have been charged for IT support and assistance more than a proper cabling work or a reliable WiFi setup would've cost them. I've only ever used TP-Link and gave up relatively quickly due to frustration.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I run this on my desktop and am very satisfied https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mb...ds=tp-link+pci

I can only assume this more expensive one with the heat sink is somehow better https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mb...ink%2Bpci&th=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

I use a lot of TP-Link stuff... but I often have a lot of issues with certain configurations.

Nothing like getting stuck a day before CES with a handful of TP-Link USB NICs and only half of them work.

The ONLY brand of NIC dongle that I've gotten to work consistently, 100% of the time, is Netgear. But alas... They're expensive.

Fortunately, there's a Fry's in Vegas and I have a company credit card, so at the end of the day, I'm still a hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Something absolutely Standard with a Chip for that the manufacturer of the Chip provides Drivers. And/or Windows has Drivers built in, so you just put them in and they somehow work.
    That's why I despise my Fritz WLAN Sticks...

The TP Link I own is fine, it works without installing any drivers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    The TP Link I own is fine, it works without installing any drivers...
    Well... because native drivers are used. But that is actually part of the problem.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    From rich personal experience, those are usually more trouble than they're worth.
    I trust your personal experience, mate, mine is much more limited and just opposite: more throughput, more stable (Skype calls, surveillance camera and IPTV don't working on wi-fi, working on powerline), Netgear equipment, though I guess italian mains and buildings cabling might be different from "typical" serbian ones.

Said that, I upgraded one of the powerline connections (an IPTV one) to a real ethernet, and I admit that a proper cabling is a whole different story over any powerline link: but, even if powerline is still a sub-optimal option, I'd rather to use wi-fi just for smartphones/tablets, if possible.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 10-02-2016 at 03:36 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Yeah, sadly the only trick to a good WiFi is congestion reduction/elimination.

I know a guy who had a modular home built for him, that insisted on a non-standard additional layer in the walls/isolation - a plastic foil with embedded metal mesh, with the mesh density set to Faraday-out frequencies of 2.3 GHz and above. He managed to block out all external WiFi signals and boost the reflectivity for his own internal network so "bleeding" losses are all but eliminated.

The result? Only one router and 4 devices on the wireless, which he made dual-band and dual-channel on both bands. The speeds are drool-worthy, not to mention link stability and signal levels. Cost a fortune to have all the walls done non-standard, though...

The above is what I consider definitely going a bit too far. On the upside, his house is protected from microwave blasts, so that's good, right?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.