Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 days left for refund

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 days left for refund

I recently purchased an EVGA SuperNova T2 1k watt. Saturday the 20th is my last day to return it. I am impressed by the Seasonic Prime 750w. I've been comparing the 750w Prime with my old Seasonic X650w Gold 09' model for a swap. I was considering purchasing the Prime to swap for the old 650w. I could return the EVGA psu and save ~ 75$ and just use the Prime in place of the EVGA, and settle with keeping the old trusty Seasonic X650w, or I could keep the EVGA in my gaming rig and do like I was originally thinking. A couple of caveats for the Prime in my gaming rig are one, the 12v CPU cables would be a little short vs the EVGA cable length, and two I would be pushing the PSU if I were to ever go dual GPU.

I feel I am going to be purchasing this PSU either way, the question is should I return the EVGA and save 75$ and get a little better PSU (i'm a total nut for PSUs) or do I just replace an already great PSU on a daily X58 rig that sees no heavy duty usage (avg watt drawl 110w) but would benefit from better efficiency and welcome better regulation???

Thanks for your time
    Rig1: 2009 Seasonic X 650w
    Rig2:
    2016 EVGA Supernova Titanium T2 1000w
    Retired: Enermax 950w Revolution

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I recall HardOCP's testing of the prime showed mediocre transient response performance, which is one of the most important performance aspects for gaming. Your EVGA might do better in that aspect. Either way both are great units and I see no reason to get rid of one that is perfectly fine, really, it seems silly to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    If I recall HardOCP's testing of the prime showed mediocre transient response performance, which is one of the most important performance aspects for gaming. Your EVGA might do better in that aspect. Either way both are great units and I see no reason to get rid of one that is perfectly fine, really, it seems silly to me.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with transient response performance. What is it, if you don't mind me asking.
    Rig2:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BTRY B 529th FA BN View Post
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with transient response performance. What is it, if you don't mind me asking.
    In your normal voltage regulation tests you see power is very constant. There is a resistive load applied to the PSU at exact amperages for some extended periods of time and the voltages are read. In real life, this is unrealistic. Power goes all over the place; it is nuts.

If you ever looked at an oscilloscope reading for the power from a GPU, you'll notice that it is never constant. A GTX 1070 may be a 150W average GPU, but if you look at the scope shots power constantly is spiking from 100 to 200W, for example. It shoots up and down, and up and down. Same really goes for any hardware.

Whenever there is a sudden, brief load increase, the voltages with drop briefly and then will stabilize afterwards. The less the voltage drops, the better. Most transient response testing applies something like 10A to the 12V rail and some load to the 3.3V and 5V rails for about 10ms, and then it sees how far the voltage drops.

While 10A may seem excessive, it could be 5A even; not all transient response scenarios can be tested, but transient response is literally happening all the time with computers. It's an underrated test.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2016/07...7#.V7Z-NiMpDqA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Keep the EVGA. The performance of the MP units is a known variable. It's too early to say the same about Prime.

Even if your Prime was as perfect as the review samples, you're still talking about splitting hairs in numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm. I did read that. Very interesting indeed!

I didn't see a test for the T2 1k watt though. Couldn't find it.

I know it's like hair splitting between the two. I just can't get over that efficiency range in tests 1, 2, & 3 in the hot box Then there is the 12v regulation.
    Rig2:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My main rig T2 850W has not been replaced by one of the Prime units, if that helps any. Too close in performance to make the effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    If I recall HardOCP's testing of the prime showed mediocre transient response performance, which is one of the most important performance aspects for gaming......................
    I would dissagree on that... why? because of something that haven't figured out yet why it is happening but it does!! :
    specifically, Aris's "Transient Response Tests" produce much different results compared to Paul's.
    In order to figure this out check PSUs that were reviewed by both Aris & Paul.
    Seasonic Snow Silent750 for example:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ent-750/8.html
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...7#.V7dM9KKuH9I

look at the 50% Transient @12V:
    0,68 % change at Aris's review while at Paul's , if you do the math is 2,70% change !!! ( look the screenshot: from 12,18V drops to 11,85V )

So,this is the trap: DON'T judge results from Paul's reviews while having on your mind Aris's stats !!! I was making the same mistake pretty often in the past untill i noticed it.

P.S. @BTRY B 529th FA BN , if i were you i would have waited untill i see a review from the other reviewers as well, Aris's (Techpowerup & Tom's Hardware) and Pavel's (Hardwareinsights), in order to have a more thorough opinion about the PRIME series.
    Last edited by sith'ari; 08-19-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
    I would dissagree on that... why? because of something that haven't figured out yet why it is happening but it does!! :
    specifically, Aris's "Transient Response Tests" produce much different results compared to Paul's.
    In order to figure this out check PSUs that were reviewed by both Aris & Paul.
    Seasonic Snow Silent750 for example:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ent-750/8.html
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...7#.V7dM9KKuH9I

look at the 50% Transient @12V:
    0,68 % change at Aris's review while at Paul's , if you do the math is 2,70% change !!! ( look the screenshot: from 12,18V drops to 11,85V )

So,this is the trap: DON'T judge results from Paul's reviews while having on your mind Aris's stats !!! I was making the same mistake pretty often in the past untill i noticed it.

P.S. @BTRY B 529th FA BN , if i were you i would have waited untill i see a review from the other reviewers as well, Aris's (Techpowerup & Tom's Hardware) and Pavel's (Hardwareinsights), in order to have a more thorough opinion about the PRIME series.
    Aris' tests have a slightly different methodology, and probably different equipment. You really can't compare across the two reviews, but on HardOCP there are other units tested with Paul's same methodology and equipment that do better than the Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    My main rig T2 850W has not been replaced by one of the Prime units, if that helps any. Too close in performance to make the effort.
    It does, thank you!

As far as the transient tests, yesterday was the first I've heard of them. I know there is some validation to checking the performance in that area. As for now I think I'm going to keep the T2 1k watt, and pick up the Prime for my daily rig...
    Rig2: