Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mouse stuttering and some other issues after PSU swap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    You can change the priority in task manager.
    doesn't do anything, lowest or highest, its the same

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's ok, I won't mine with this PC, I have 2others for that, I was just testing the card if its faulty or not because it keeps crashing in another 4x gpu pc.
    Maybe you guys know what's the problem with that. So I have 4x r9 390, 2x 750W SF, I have a 24x atx splitter, (2pins go into the secondary psu so they both start at once), pcie risers for all cards that are powered by a molex (2pcie power to 1molex). The same setup was fine for 2years with r9 280x cards. The cable on the secondary psu's molex is really hot but so is the 1st psu's cable, so lets say if the card is shutting down because of the cable melting, how would that happen ? does the psu stop power if the molexes are too hot or just delivers power till something burns ?
    Only gpu fails and the psu doesn't stop giving power, the system is all fine if I manually close the gpu load, and start the load 5second later, I see catalyst driver crashing and reloading but everything is going fine till the next crash (which can be up to 26hours) but since you can't stare 24/7 on a machine if its running, I made it to restart the system if any cards fail (shutdown /r /t 10 /f). Now here is the problem, if the restart happends, the pc actually hangs, does not restart, just no display, no activity at all and after manual restart, there is no display, sometimes it takes 5-6 restarts for me to see any input on the monitor. I cannot understand what causes this hard hang after trying to restart the system which had one gpu's driver crashing before. The gpu hang itself, would be more like a data problem or power problem ? what you guys think ? Its 2x750W gold SF, using about..1300W max and the failing gpu is not even on the motherboard's psu, its on the one that has only 2gpu hooked up, no cpu no mobo nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please ignore my last post for now, there is something weird going on with my main PC.

I had the r9 390 in it with the SF650 mining for 24hours with -150mv undervolt, stock core and 1250memory clock (-250hz), 350W usage, meanwhile I was using it for browsing, twitch, videos, it was all good, then I stopped mining and the gpu crashed, driver recovered then some artifact lines started appearing in desktop and the voltage of the card went to 1.2v even while watching a movie, 305core and 1500mem, no idea why. (mining voltage was 1V undervolted) So I uninstalled drivers, installed back the same driver and the artifacts kept appearing and my idle wattage was about 150W with stock clocks and voltage (normally about 70W). I took out the r9 390 and noticed the psu was very hot, my 750W SF that runs 24/7 consuming 600-700W never got hot. Then I put back the old r9 280x (the one that is semi dead), there are no artifacts and system idles at 70W. What is happening ? Is the psu bad ? I guess the r9 390 is semi DOA (first time I tested it in my main PC) gonna return it. But why is my psu hot at 350W usage ? What can make the psu go hot beside heavy use or defect ?

edit: even now, about 40minutes later, all I'm doing is browsing at 80W and psu is warm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just left the PC on while I slept, idling 65W and the psu's top is warm, the cables that come out of the psu is not, neither the connectors, why is it hot ? fan facing down. Don't know exact temp but my hdd's sensor shows 34C and its cold compared to the psu, so at least 45-50C+, might be 60+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The casing of the power supply acts as a heatsink to help dissipate heat when it runs fanless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a way to start the fans? My SF750W fans run almost at max and can't even hear them, why is there even a need to be fanless if its so quiet ?