Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build / PSU Recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamshumpisxxx View Post
    CPU Cooler = Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B
    That's a really subpar cooler by today's standards, you know.
    Memory = Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
    Why would you go for a 4x4GB setup instead of 2x8GB? What's the reason behind this?
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    That's a really subpar cooler by today's standards, you know.Why would you go for a 4x4GB setup instead of 2x8GB? What's the reason behind this?
    I'm hesitant to answer you because it's irrelevant to my query / off-topic. For the sake of politeness I will anyway but I just want to make clear I'm not looking to justify anything other than my PSU choice.

I bought that CPU Cooler because it was $30 and will more than handle my CPU at stock until I get around to rigging up a custom cooling loop. The i7-6700K doesn't come with a cooling solution and I didn't have a spare lying around (got rid of most of my overstock).

I chose the 4x4GB setup because of the cost VS performance in terms of how much I would have to pay for 16GBs of DDR4 at CAS 13. I got 4x4GBs cheaper than I could have gotten 2x8GBs. Outside of memory specific benchmarks (IE real world use) there is no performance difference between the two configurations. I don't need more than 16GBs of RAM and I don't overclock my RAM.

I hope my answers were satisfactory for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    Why would you go for a 4x4GB setup instead of 2x8GB? What's the reason behind this?
    +1 on that, I would also recommend going for 2x 8GB unless you have a very specific reason not to. Check out my thread on RAM for why. (lots to copy over here, don't want to pollute this thread.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    +1 on that, I would also recommend going for 2x 8GB unless you have a very specific reason not to. Check out my thread on RAM for why. (lots to copy over here, don't want to pollute this thread.)
    Thank you for the input. It was an interesting read. I have heard much of the same when engaging in "shop talk" in the past. The last time I experienced ANY real world performance difference was back in the Socket 939 days. The consensus is split but of no real consequence to me due to my experience.

Just to reiterate...this thread is not about my RAM. This thread is about my PSU. I appreciate your time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adamshumpisxxx For This Useful Post:

GDILord (07-27-2016)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to know how you arrived at those numbers. If it's simple calculator math, I'm in. If it's physics level wizardry then I'll just take your word for it. Haha.
    Well, it's not a calculation, just an estimate based upon experience and observations of similar scenarios (broadly speaking, relying upon any arithmetic may turn out easily wrong): long story short, a starting point may be the GPU DC power draw (you may use TechPowerUp!, whose findings have proven to be quite representative), as with common desktop CPUs (like Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Skylake), a gaming rig's overall DC power draw is usually not too far from these figures, even with some OC (with hotter CPU - LGA2011, AMD FX - and/or excessive overvoltage that may need some adjustements).

Anyway, if you look to the only (atm) G1's review around, you may easily find out that the lower figures I gave you are a not too bad estimate.

How is the EVGA MIR experience these days? The last time I bought an EVGA product for personal use was back in 2008 and it was abysmal.
    I can't help, I'm from Europe: broadly speaking, even at 100 bucks the P2 is a way better value than the NEX G (obviously if you can afford it).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hesitant to answer you because it's irrelevant to my query / off-topic. For the sake of politeness I will anyway but I just want to make clear I'm not looking to justify anything other than my PSU choice.
    Sorry, I have wrongfully assumed you didn't buy these components yet. Nevermind then and sorry for derailing the topic
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194122 is a great buy, with the promo code it's 8,5 dollars less and after rebate it's even 20 dollars cheaper. For 56,49 dollar it's a great buy. It's also more then enough even an extreme overclock on air or water cooling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Well, it's not a calculation, just an estimate based upon experience and observations of similar scenarios (broadly speaking, relying upon any arithmetic may turn out easily wrong): long story short, a starting point may be the GPU DC power draw (you may use TechPowerUp!, whose findings have proven to be quite representative), as with common desktop CPUs (like Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Skylake), a gaming rig's overall DC power draw is usually not too far from these figures, even with some OC (with hotter CPU - LGA2011, AMD FX - and/or excessive overvoltage that may need some adjustements).

Anyway, if you look to the only (atm) G1's review around, you may easily find out that the lower figures I gave you are a not too bad estimate.

I can't help, I'm from Europe: broadly speaking, even at 100 bucks the P2 is a way better value than the NEX G (obviously if you can afford it).
    Ah, so the formula is experience plus estimated power draw from real world use. Hopefully it's a skill I'll acquire if I lurk around long enough. Thank you for the recommendation. I believe I have been talked out of the 650w range and talked into the 550w range. More below...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194122 is a great buy, with the promo code it's 8,5 dollars less and after rebate it's even 20 dollars cheaper. For 56,49 dollar it's a great buy. It's also more then enough even an extreme overclock on air or water cooling.
    Thank you for the recommendation. So, 550w it is. I found another 550w that gets a perfect 10/10 from jonnyGURU for a similiar price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438053

How would your suggestion stack up against the EVGA Supernova 550 G2? I'd be more inclined to go with a jonnyGURU reviewed product than one that isn't. Unless of course the consensus is that it's better. Thank you for your time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

G2 is better, that enermax was recommended because it is very cheap while being still a very good PSU.