Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build / PSU Recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Build / PSU Recommendations

Long time jonnyGURU spectator, first time forum poster. I'm a review hog when it comes to building personal PCs (usually of the gaming variety). That's why I end up here when I go to pull the trigger on a PSU.

I have a new build just about completed but I need to run my PSU choice by a few guys / gals in the know before I make a decision. It's based on constant recommendations from the various power calculator websites I frequent. I'm not sure if it's polite to name names, so I won't. I try to hit them all up to see what the average consensus is, then I do the napkin math and make a decision. This time around however I have been bombarded with automated recommendations for the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W.

Now, having had experience with EVGA products on the GPU end for certain customers I can say that the quality in terms of surviving the abuse of the end user is good but the performance is usually luke warm in comparison to other AIB manufacturers. It's been a good middle of the road choice for cost VS performance on the Nvidia side. I assumed much of the same for the PSU line so I read a few reviews, many of which were mixed.

What I would like to know is, how does the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W stack up against say a XFX ProSeries 650W or a Seasonic X-650? Also, in the 650w range...what is the best overall PSU as reviewed by the man himself, jonnyGURU? I would like to note that I'm leaning towards a 650w PSU in the event I add a few things internally (storage HDD, sound card, etc...). If that is still overkill, let me know! Thank you all very much for your time in advance! New build specifications below:

CPU = Intel Core i7-6700K
    CPU Cooler = Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B
    Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX
    Memory = Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
    Video Card = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming
    Case = Antec ISK 600M
    Power Supply = ???
    SSD = Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB & 480GB
    Optical Drive = Panasonic ​UJ141

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people on this site would recommend you a 450W or 550W unit with your setup, but that also depends on your overclocking. That's just what they do, so I'm telling you now that you don't need a 650W unit. There. Said and done.

Now, what are your best options largely depends on what sites you buy from and the prices on the PSUs. Yes I do consider the Seasonic X-650 definitely better than the NEX 650. I haven't looked at specific reviews recently, but in my memory the XFX Pro Series 650W is generally a bit better than the NEX 650 (not sure if you are talking about the 650 G or B either, two different units).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EVGA 650 P2 is a really good option for less than 100$. But yeah, 450w is plenty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Most people on this site would recommend you a 450W or 550W unit with your setup, but that also depends on your overclocking. That's just what they do, so I'm telling you now that you don't need a 650W unit. There. Said and done.

Now, what are your best options largely depends on what sites you buy from and the prices on the PSUs. Yes I do consider the Seasonic X-650 definitely better than the NEX 650. I haven't looked at specific reviews recently, but in my memory the XFX Pro Series 650W is generally a bit better than the NEX 650 (not sure if you are talking about the 650 G or B either, two different units).
    I completely understand and wouldn't even attempt to fault you for recommending a 450 to 550 watt PSU. My calculation methods thus far have gotten me anywhere from 336w to 433w. I always over-indulge on a PSU with the idea of future power hungry upgrades (whether or not I ever do them is another thing). I will be OCing and making a custom cooling loop for it in the future...that is for certain.

As for the sites I buy from...mainly Newegg but Superbiiz, NCIX, OutletPC and others have made their way in from time to time depending on the deals (including eBay and Amazon). I'm not really married to a specific marketplace.

Now to clarify, I did mean the NEX650G variant. I already assumed the Seasonic was better but I wasn't sure if it was THAT much better given the price disparity ($78 vs $120). Now if the $42 difference is a major leap in quality I'll have to go with it. Otherwise I'd like to stick in the general price range of the EVGA. Now, if the XFX Pro is the middle ground I can get that for about $80 so no big deal.

Does anyone know of some high ranking / notable 650w PSUs that have gotten the jonnyGURU seal of approval? I just really want the best "bang for your buck" at the end of the day. Thank you for the replies thus far!

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by adamshumpisxxx View Post
    My calculation methods thus far have gotten me anywhere from 336w to 433w.
    Just a side note: that's a bit overestimated, with some overclock (CPU around 4.7GHz, GPU around a 2.05GHz boost) you should be in the 253w-268w range of average peak gaming power draw.

Quote Originally Posted by adamshumpisxxx View Post
    Does anyone know of some high ranking / notable 650w PSUs
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6p8...ly-220p20650x1
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Just a side note: that's a bit overestimated, with some overclock (CPU around 4.7GHz, GPU around a 2.05GHz boost) you should be in the 253w-268w range of average peak gaming power draw.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6p8...ly-220p20650x1
    That is low indeed. I guess I'll have to rethink my methodology for calculating power needs. I'd like to know how you arrived at those numbers. If it's simple calculator math, I'm in. If it's physics level wizardry then I'll just take your word for it. Haha.

You would be the second person recommending the EVGA Supernova 650 P2. Looks like I'll have to give it some serious thought. At $100 with a $20 MIR it seems to be right in the middle of the EVGA NEX650G and the Seasonic X-650. Looks like I found my best bang for your buck answer. One last thing. How is the EVGA MIR experience these days? The last time I bought an EVGA product for personal use was back in 2008 and it was abysmal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

A mATX motherboard in a ITX case?

But if you want a ITX build you probably never gonna need a 650W PSU, because two graphics cards is impossible and dual GPU cards or not really interesting.

Without overclocking this PC wil take around 225W tops and with overclocking 350W is probably a good estimation.

If you're gonna use the Antec ISK 600M case you're also gonna need a small power supply otherwise it won't fit with your graphics card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    A mATX motherboard in a ITX case?

But if you want a ITX build you probably never gonna need a 650W PSU, because two graphics cards is impossible and dual GPU cards or not really interesting.

Without overclocking this PC wil take around 225W tops and with overclocking 350W is probably a good estimation.

If you're gonna use the Antec ISK 600M case you're also gonna need a small power supply otherwise it won't fit with your graphics card.
    You might want to look again. The Antec ISK 600M is not an ITX case. A full sized power supply will fit...there's more than enough room. Thanks for the input though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

I was looking at the ISK 600.

But are you gonna use a second graphics card anytime soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a simple mistake. Not soon, no (if ever) but I will be doing some future adjustments described above.

Are you guys all using the same methodology for calculating expected power consumption? I've been doing this for 15 years and I've never been able to calculate that exactly. I'm not that great at math but I was getting 336w to 433w on par with most reputable online power calculators. Normally what I do is take my highest number and round it off (450w) then add 100w or 200w depending on what I think I might add to it. Yes, this is admittedly overindulgent but I did not figure to such a degree. You're never too late to learn I suppose.

Well, screw 650w then I guess. Given what I have and what I plan to add in the near future...is 550w also way too overindulgent? Should I really be shooting for a 450w PSU? I've just never been exposed to numbers like that in this context.