Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 700 W CM (E10-CM-700W) @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    It wasn't the lack of gold the connector which caused the problem, nor would gold have solved that problem.

Gold plating is there to prevent corrosion.
    That is only one part. Gold has better conductivity than nickel. Its resistance also increases slower with temperature. And combined with better chemical stability, the end result may very well be that instead of contact resistance heating so much it started chemically degrading, thus increasing the resistance even more and so on - which was the case of nickel-plated pins - gold plated pins may have kept the resistance lower. Low enough it won't reach the treshold of what happened afterwards.

Seasonic learned that very soon after the mining boom so they started gold-plating anything over certain price point. It is a fact this thing helps. Than it is only a matter of consideration of each brand if they think it is necessary enough over other things, or not. I would rather see less cabling, but gold-plated and using properly think (16AWG) wiring. Than if you really need to you can use splitter and it will work. It will also handle much higher currents than nominal, easily.

Instead, companies incl. Corsair put half a dozen PCIe connectors in there and pull 300 W nominal (which can in reality easily achieve 400+ W) over three ordinary pins. So you can plug shitload of cards which draw 50 % of nominal, yeah, great. Who does that? I mean, who uses CrossFire/SLI today? But I wonder if it can safely handle cards which draw 130 %. Because, you see, much more ppl use things like heavily overclocked versions of R9 290X, R9 Fury X, than those who use multiple cards.

That is why I don't understand these cries about 650W units having only two 6+2pin PCIe connectors. What do you want more of them for? Using R9 290X or R9 Fury X with Bulldozer will push the unit far enough. You see, there are also connectors for peripherals and if you have five hard drives (four of them 15k SAS) and 9 fans like I do, it also adds some 50 watts! Manufacturers count some 50-100 W on these connectors, especially when a unit has ten of them. It is not really only about the quantity of PCIe, it is also about the quality. IMO…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Seasonic learned that very soon after the mining boom so they started gold-plating anything over certain price point.
    They learned that modular PEG Y-cables with only three 12V wires can't handle a lot more then 300W and with one bad pin connection 300W is already to much for the other two wires.

And where did started to use gold plating anything? And what's the real difference then?
    That is why I don't understand these cries about 650W units having only two 6+2pin PCIe connectors. What do you want more of them for? Using R9 290X or R9 Fury X with Bulldozer will push the unit far enough.
    You just found one of the very few configurations where a 650W PSU is needed for only one graphics card. A overclocked high-end graphics card ~300/350W and a heavily overclocked Bulldozer CPU. There are a lot more people with a i5/i7 and two GTX 970/980/1070/1080/R9 380/R9 380X/RX 470/RX 480 cards who need four PEG connectors because one card already requires two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How that goes for Seasonic? Less RMA with burned cabling.

No, there is very little number of people with two graphics cards. Wayy more of them use single, more powerfull card because they still know even in 2016 SLI/CF scaling sucks.

If they have i5/i7 they won't push the unit so far, but that still won't make them using two VGAs, thats just nonsense. Instead they just buy 550W unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, there is very little number of people with two graphics cards. Wayy more of them use single, more powerfull card because they still know even in 2016 SLI/CF scaling sucks.

If they have i5/i7 they won't push the unit so far, but that still won't make them using two VGAs, thats just nonsense. Instead they just buy 550W unit.
    Correction, most people buy a 750W unit because they think they need MORE POWER!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's about paper watts and real watts than. And sometimes it makes sense even for good units - if the price difference is couple bucks but what you get is lower fan speed (or completely fanless operation) at that load you are going to apply, many ppl choose higher wattage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True. I know a lot of people buy the EVGA 750 B2 because it is usually really cheap (particularly with rebates, sometimes getting $60. Lowest I ever saw it was $50. What are your thoughts on it? It seemed pretty good in the JG review, but you guys usually have inside knowledge on this stuff so I'm curious what you think of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never seen any EVGA unit myself. EVGA constantly states they have no samples available (not for me anyway). Thinking about asking some local shops, but the bad thing about that is I'd have to give them back The economics of the reviewing process is than seriously impacted when you can not resell at least the good units…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

What's the problem in this case?!

The fact that they used two 8pin PCIe connectors on one 6pin connector?
    The fact that they did not use gold plating?

I think the first one is the real problem...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand these cries about 650W units having only two 6+2pin PCIe connectors.
    Because otherwise you could have done, say, 1070 SLI setup on 650W with no issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Because otherwise you could have done, say, 1070 SLI setup on 650W with no issues?
    I run two Tahiti cards off a 650W (Sirfa made) Power Supply...
    No issues whatsoever, even at max load with my overclocked LGA1366 testrig, I 'm only able to go up to about 700W primary with Heaven (and/or Prime 95)...

So PSUs in this range are more than capable for two graphics cards...