Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 700 W CM (E10-CM-700W) @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's too expensive for what offers. And if it's noisy its high price cannot be justified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SirEnder View Post
    I have yet to read the whole review, but...

Fix'ld, thanks. Mixed all the names up and my editors don't know them at all (none is from Europe) so they have not noticed either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good review. I love how insanely detailed your teardowns are. I also like that you specify the capacitor details all the time rather than just saying "Teapo caps".

Also, a recommendation for your data tables. Put input power next to output power. I don't get why it's on the other side of the table. Then efficiency next to those. And maybe create ripple's own column? May be a bit cleaner than voltage/ripple. Quicker to read that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thinking about the table is that in first column there is the load value in % used as a kind of "test number", and to save space I've already put the actual output in there. Than there are all the draws from each rail (with voltages again) and than finally how much the whole unit consumes. To save space again I've put the efficiency in there as well. It is not ideal, but no system is and never will be

It's only combined for stand-by measurement, I'd say those 3 rows should be manageable. Problem is I am limited with width as the same is than translated to PCTuning which is still stuck in the year 1997 with 800px width.

I've been tired of this 800px crap ages ago when I started my first website (HW World) and back than I already made it optimised for 1400 px. The HWI has been also upgraded to 1400 px as soon as I took over, and soon I made it somewhat responsive (at least with the main content area) so it does not look like crap on even bigger screens. The problem today is there are still shitloads of something like 1280 panels (hopefully those 1024px netbooks died away). Some 6 years later after I set up my first website, the 1280 was replaced by 1366 (which are almost the same crap), and these are the most selling still. Which very sad but ppl buy it. But many ppl also have Full HD and now even 2k/4k displays. So you have to select some resolution to serve them all. I always went one step above the most used as those who have such PoS can still handle that and I can put more content on the screen.

I can promise soon it will get even better as with this second job (besides handliing even less servicing activies) I can finally invest something in the company…so I should get a new camera soon. The Lumix FZ-4 is really too obsolete today, it is a miracle I am still able to manage to produce at least such image quality I do now. Sometimes it takes some heavy post-processing, so if it still looks like shit on your high-res PVA/IPS or similar panel, you have no idea how the original looked like
    Last edited by Behemot; 08-03-2016 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, on the gold plated cable pins. If they're not gold plated, what does that mean? Does it mean less current those cables can handle? Does it mean they won't holdup as well over time? If you are not overloading cables, are they still likely to eventually die?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Also, on the gold plated cable pins. If they're not gold plated, what does that mean? Does it mean less current those cables can handle? Does it mean they won't holdup as well over time? If you are not overloading cables, are they still likely to eventually die?
    Gold plated connectors is mostly marketing bollux.

The only real world value is it prevents any kind of rust or tarnishing of the connector which isn't likely to happen unless you happen to live somewhere with some insane humidity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Yeah. Unless you live in Florida or somewhere really humid AND the electronics are exposed to that humidity (i.e., not operated in an air-conditioned room), it doesn't make much difference.

Back when I worked as a tech in Florida, humidity and the salty air made me a very busy bee. I'd see high end PCs that spent their time on house boats completely corroded within a year. Talking about memory that's stuck in memory slots and power connectors effectively welded to drives. Also restaurants with outdoor eating areas... the POS machines would constantly die because the oxide would cake up and short out the machines.

I actually started a procedure of coating both surfaces with Super Lube. Plug the parts together. Clean ALL excess Super Lube away. Seal entire interface area with hot glue. Profit (or not.. since the customer would never come back for corrosion problems). If the computer did come back for a memory upgrade or to swap out drives, etc., dried up hot glue is amazingly easy to peel off.

I kid you not.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (08-03-2016), Orion (08-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Gold plated connectors is mostly marketing bollux.
    This talk is just anti-marketing bollux.

I got first hand experience with connectors burned to dust. With gold it could still be kicking today without me wasting hours of solving that crap. You not having experience with it does not mean it does not exist And that was not even in any humid area or anything, quite the contrary, very dry, very hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    This talk is just anti-marketing bollux.

I got first hand experience with connectors burned to dust. With gold it could still be kicking today without me wasting hours of solving that crap. You not having experience with it does not mean it does not exist And that was not even in any humid area or anything, quite the contrary, very dry, very hot.
    It wasn't the lack of gold the connector which caused the problem, nor would gold have solved that problem.

Gold plating is there to prevent corrosion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Hm, how could gold plating have any effect on the connectors at all?

The main advantage of gold is that it is hard to corrode and reacts to almot nothing.
    But besides that?!

I doubt that there are any advantages in contact resistance, as long as something like a decent conductor is used...
    And that is almost always the case that some less reacting materials are used as plating materials...