Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview: Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 700 W CM (E10-CM-700W) @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Do you have any proof for your wild accusations?!

It would be nice to see some less subjective things from you...
    I'm sure it was with a PR person and not someone that actually KNOWS the product inside and out like a PM or engineer.

I've had the same issue with Pavel talking to Corsair PR and accepting what they say is the gospel without checking with HQ first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had discussion here on the forums some time ago, I never stated this information came from BQ! so I have no idea what this is about. But that person is crazy so I don't mind him anymore. It's better not to disturb crazy ppl.

Regarding Corsair PR, well for me it is the Corsair representative Corsair gave me to talk to. Sorry but is it my problem everybody always gives me god knows who (from east Europe or Asia) who knows nothing? Those are your (or other brands) representatives. If anything it shows you have poor choice of ppl, or bad inside communication. No offense, just sayin'. I just can't take everything they say and go around them to somebody else to check if its true. Been given these ppl to talk to, so I do. I publish what they tell me. If they tell me BS and I can not discover it is BS myself, than I just publish it as it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Anyway, Aris is indeed not right in here, I think he did not inspect it carefully enough as there are also some strange things about the transistors
    I think aris is right here.
    I've taken some time to follow the tracks on the PCB and it looks like some kind of buck converter like the one mentioned in this article to me...

Here's the review:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...10_800W/4.html

a similar plattform, less optimized for size and less efficient:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...-psu-review/5/

The Power Zone 650W is pretty much identical to the E10 series, don't remember if the 750W is based on the 650W or the 850W+ thingy...

Anyway:
    If you think something isn't the way it should be, you shouldn't post that in some forums but rather contact the manufacturer and deal with the engeneers there. Or maybe even ask the manufacturer of the PSU (in this case FSP) what they did on the plattform for the voltage regulation.

And if I remember correctly we had a discussion abot the DC-DC circuit of the 'normal' Aurum either in this forum or over at techpowerup...

Also the voltage regulation aris did for the Straight Power 10 does NOT give any reason to suspect the PSU is NOT equipped with a DC-DC circuit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever. This is technical discussion, I am not throwing any accusations that somebody was misleading here so calm it down mister. I am just stating the obvious - since there is no Direct Current there to begin with, I can not imagine how it can be DC-DC converter. I hope you at least know it means Direct Current-Direct Current. If somebody was wrong, I am just correcting him.

If you have some problems with that, keep them to yourself. I really don't know what this crap you are showing here is about.

(I also don't understand why I did not put that person in the ignore list yet as I already did some time ago at BCN. Now…much better.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So are you just referencing these might be AC-DC converters with a bypass, like in the FSP AAG platform? (NZXT HALE90 V2?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I'll tell ya here, just hope you'll come when the review is out to make some traffic for HWI as well

I have not seen that AAG platform yet, but indeed, it is AC-DC, or controlled rectification if you want. There are two completely independent (insulated from each other) secondary windings: one for +12 V, the other is common for both +3.3 and +5 V rails. There are also two 6601. In Aurum/Raider there is one which controlls synchronnous rectification of all the rails together. Here are two and two windings. It makes sense if the +3.3/+5 V rails have given switching ratio and than are both controlled together. Since they share the same winding the result should be still pretty good. But I can not say as there is no datasheet for this IC so we could not know what I/O pins and regulation it provides.

It makes no sense that this IC could act as DC-DC PWM controller when it clearly controls synchronnous rectification in all units which ever used it. Also for the switching there is only 1+1 FET for each rails, one FET controlls common (ground) so they are on the same potential (as they would be otherwise flowing as they are derived from independend windings) with the rest of the unit. The last one is passing power from +5 V rail to stand-by rail output to increase efficiency. I also thought there are two modules using 3 switchers at first, but something was just not playing right. So I looked at the board for second time also with beeper and found the real configuration. I guess Aris was just rushing for another unit and did not have the time to look at it again but I think he'd have no problem to find it as well.
    Last edited by Behemot; 07-22-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post

I have not seen that AAG platform yet, but indeed, it is AC-DC,
    See that review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...2_1000W/4.html
    Last edited by Orion; 07-22-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep it seems to be the same case, just this NZXT unit has the modular board soldered directly into the main board, so their layout is slightly different. But not that much. In this case the unit may actually be completely independently driven as there are 3 potentiometers for fine tuning, my guess would be one per each rail. The BQ! only has two pots so that what makes me think the +3.3/+5 V are driven together.

You may miss it if you only trace it visually. With beeper it is pretty straightforward, there is no connection to +12 V anywhere. Than you can find immediatelly the two transformer outputs are from 2nd winding, different from the +12 V, common for both minor rails.
    Last edited by Behemot; 07-23-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It has DC-DC for 3.3V and 5V for sure. Even though the layout looks similar there is a difference to the normal Aurum. The two MOSFETs at the front side next to the transformer are for synchronous rectification (+12V) like the original Aurum design.
    At the backside however 3.3V and 5V has no synchronous rectification but is transformed by buck converters.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Microflop For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (07-23-2016), quest for silence (07-23-2016)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Microflop View Post
    It has DC-DC for 3.3V and 5V for sure...
    ...snipped out...
    ...is transformed by buck converters.
    Which are those step down converters?
    Best, Luca