Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Preview: Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 700 W CM (E10-CM-700W) @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Because otherwise you could have done, say, 1070 SLI setup on 650W with no issues?
    But you can. Most GTX 1070 uses 1x 8 pin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Because otherwise you could have done, say, 1070 SLI setup on 650W with no issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    No, there is very little number of people with two graphics cards. Wayy more of them use single, more powerfull card because they still know even in 2016 SLI/CF scaling sucks.
    I don't argue the units may be capable of it, but users would have to use their brain to only plug in cards which have low enough consumption to be OK. And as I said, dual card setups still do not make sense as the scaling sucks -> most ppl don't care and get 1080 instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't argue the units may be capable of it, but users would have to use their brain to only plug in cards which have low enough consumption to be OK. And as I said, dual card setups still do not make sense as the scaling sucks -> most ppl don't care and get 1080 instead.
    It should be given that user has enough of a brain to not do certain things. If they do sth they clearly shouldn't do (like 290/390X CF + AMD FX + OC everything to the max on 650W unit) - it's their fault. They could've at least done their research.

I know one higher-end card is generally better idea, even if raw fps numbers are lower, yet some disagree. I've seen enough whining that 1060 doesn't support SLI. Depending on what they play, that may be valid for 6GB version. For 3GB one it's probably invalid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take it also as a kind of safeguard. If they don't get the connectors, they just cannot put two ~300W cards there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what OCP/OPP are for, no? :v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

I agree with rafal, if you overload the PSU too much, it should switch off - that's hat overload protections are for.

As for the connectors: You can put two 7970 on one 600W PSU without any problems, with 650W that's way less of a problem and probably even enough for two 390 with an FX8350 (my CPU is an i7-3820 or some 32nm LGA1366 things).

Of course, you shold not overclock anything when using a 650W PSU but that's more than plenty for two high(er) end GPUs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    No, there is very little number of people with two graphics cards. Wayy more of them use single, more powerfull card because they still know even in 2016 SLI/CF scaling sucks.
    Yes that's true. But there are probably more people with CrossFire and SLI which need four PEG connectors on a 650W PSU then there are people with an heavily overclocked CPU and graphics card which take both about 300W, or 50W less for the CPU and 50W more for the graphics card. Those configurations are also very rare these days. More then 99% of the people with one (high-end) graphics card has enough on 550W or less.

Also two or more GPU's can make a comeback with DirectX 12 multi-adapter. Which makes different graphics card possible without the standard SLI/CrossFire problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Yes that's true. But there are probably more people with CrossFire and SLI which need four PEG connectors on a 650W PSU then there are people with an heavily overclocked CPU and graphics card which take both about 300W, or 50W less for the CPU and 50W more for the graphics card. Those configurations are also very rare these days. More then 99% of the people with one (high-end) graphics card has enough on 550W or less.

Also two or more GPU's can make a comeback with DirectX 12 multi-adapter. Which makes different graphics card possible without the standard SLI/CrossFire problems.
    I actually tried testing that out, it's still in such an early stage. The GPUs have to be very close in performance, so my 750Ti did not work with my R9 390. Along with the game developers having to implement it rather than Nvidia/AMD drivers, I don't see it becoming a very big thing with enough wisespread adoption and bug freeness to urge people to buy multiple GPUs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

DirectX 12 is really young so you can't expect that it's already perfect. DirectX 12 should also be there for a very long time, so you can expect that it will be a lot better over some years. Even if the game developer needs to implemented it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Lots of ppl use 6core bulldozer here as around 4+ GHz it has still very interesting performance much cheaper than Intel solution. Often combined with second-hand former high-end (like R9 290, 7970 etc.).

As for that thing, I am sceptical to that. Look how Ageia, Lucid Logix and others ended.