Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair RM650x Review @Toms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair RM650x Review @Toms

"Another Corsair PSU is in the lab, commanding our attention. We already reviewed the RM750x and RM550x, so we couldn't leave out the RM650x. It promises the same high performance as its siblings, along with super quiet operation."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-psu,4611.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:

quest for silence (07-21-2016), sith'ari (07-21-2016), Tator Tot (07-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ripple above 10mv, this platform needs refinement :S

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eventually I noted the new page 6, which I just missed in the Silverstone review: well done Aris, I appreciated very much that recap on protections/features.

Just out of curiosity (Aris, Jon, whoever): why (technically speaking) this platform does not excel with standard 12V load regulation? To be clear, around 1% reg is a fully satisfactory performance (as Aris noted), but the best competitors better than halves that value (and on minor rails the CWT platform bests about all the competition, not to mention the fantastic behaviour in transient tests).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Unfortunately, the inrush current protection doesn't include a bypass relay. As we've mentioned, that's a shame. Hopefully Corsair adds one in a future revision. Finally, surge protection is provided through a MOV, which works well enough in desktop PSUs.
    Did you also measure the inrush current when the NTC thermistor was hot? Just to prove your point.

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Eventually I noted the new page 6, which I just missed in the Silverstone review: well done Aris, I appreciated very much that recap on protections/features.

Just out of curiosity (Aris, Jon, whoever): why (technically speaking) this platform does not excel with standard 12V load regulation? To be clear, around 1% reg is a fully satisfactory performance (as Aris noted), but the best competitors better than halves that value (and on minor rails the CWT platform bests about all the competition, not to mention the fantastic behaviour in transient tests).
    The PSU does have less then 1% regulation. But if you measure the voltage on a wire where a lot of current flows true and the voltage sense wire measures the voltages on a different wire where less current flows true, you're gonna see less then 1% voltage regulation. But if Aris would measure the voltage on a wire where less current flows true or on the wire where the voltage sense wire measures the voltages he would measure (near) perfect regulation.

So it's not that the PSU doesn't have perfect regulation, it's just voltage drop in some wires because of the high current.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    So it's not that the PSU doesn't have perfect regulation, it's just voltage drop in some wires because of the high current.
    I don't get you dear friend: said differently, why Super Flower or Seasonic don't behave the same? Just because of the sense wire?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Yes it could be the different position of the sense wire, but also a less tick wire, or something else. But I don't have those PSU's nor Aris his equipment so I can tell you the exact reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what wires are reviewers supposed to measure it from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

There is no right or wrong here. But if you want to do it perfect you measure every wire to see the drop in every wire and the voltage regulation measured on the voltage sense wire. But if you're gonna measure every wire you also need to put a realistic load on every wire and connector individual, but that's just overkill and useless.

But that's the reason you will see the difference between the reviews, some wil measure (near) perfect regulation, while others wil see a drop of around 1% or a bit more. It's the voltage drop in the wires and the difference in testing. If Aris his RM650x PSU would be tested on this site by OklahomaWolf you will see much better 12V regulation and less then 1% voltage drop.

But if you have a PSU like this and you measure more then 3% voltage drop, then you're doing it wrong. Because then you're are pulling to much current trough some wires. Load tester isn't connected the right way then, the Dutch site Hardware.info had that problem some years ago for quite some time. They were almost melting the PSU cables when testing and didn't even notice it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I measure v.reg at +12V on six cables/connectors and I take the average through my software. So the margin of error is minimal. Also I connect as many connectors as possible since my test fixture allows it. Usually I connect all available PCIe and EPS connectors and 3-4 peripheral ones along with a eSATA. And the 24-pin ATX connector of course.

My test fixture can take up to 12x PCIe connectors, 2x EPS, 4x Peripheral, 1x eSATA, 1x ATX. I also have another one which can take double as that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    I measure v.reg at +12V on six cables/connectors and I take the average through my software. So the margin of error is minimal. Also I connect as many connectors as possible since my test fixture allows it. Usually I connect all available PCIe and EPS connectors and 3-4 peripheral ones along with a eSATA. And the 24-pin ATX connector of course.

My test fixture can take up to 12x PCIe connectors, 2x EPS, 4x Peripheral, 1x eSATA, 1x ATX. I also have another one which can take double as that!
    May you kindly rephrase, Aris? Did you say that Douwe's hypothesis is not realistic, or what?
    Best, Luca