Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preview: SilentiumPC Enduro FM1 550 W (SPC118) @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Yes it's a bit more difficult to get 80PLUS Gold 230V EU when you compared to 80PLUS Gold, but that's actually a good thing. If 80PLUS Gold 230V EU would need 87%, 90% and 87% efficient then no one would use 80PLUS Gold anymore, which means that it's more easier to get a 80PLUS Gold label, even if that means it's a 80PLUS Gold 230V EU label. 99% of the people wouldn't know the difference. But that means that the efficiency would go down because manufactures are gonna choose 80PLUS Gold 230V EU over 80PLUS Gold.

That of course can't happen, so they have chosen a higher requirement. One that is more comparable with the efficiency boost that you will get on 230V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My entire point! Somewhat difficult, of course. But not taking one step higher minimum values and calling it 230V certification! How many 80+ Platinum EU certified units do you think there will be in few years? Still none? Because it takes titanium platform to get there, and of course everybody will have that certified as Titanium on universal 110-230 V input, because it seems better than some strange Platinum (who out of average Joes knows what that 230V EU means anyway, he will just see Platinum which is worse than Titanium). And it can also sell everywhere. And 80+ EU Titanium, lol, we won't see that ever, most likely.

Of course that your premise about it being easier getting 230V cert for everybody is false. Because at least one third of the world market uses 115 or 120 V grid so 230V would be very usefull there. But the whole 80+ EU is just another screw-up…because no matter how stupid the certification requirement itself is, 90% of the world market is not EU, and they don't give a shit about EU. So Ecova itself seems to me like they have no idea what the heck they actually want. Will much bigger markets like India get their own cert? Look, 80 PLUS 240V IN!

Things used to be simple few years ago. Now there is nonsensual crap for everything. Just look at that 230V internal redundant certification…or 115V Industrial. What the hell is that? Any 80 PLUS Titanium ATX unit would be like 80 PLUS Plutonium according to that spec. I don't even want to know what the catch is as they have total of ONE certified unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

You still don't get it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Trust me, I've got good contacts to some OEM. I don't only have an insight in R&D but also in cost calculation. I'm working full time for one of Europes big IT distributors in purchasing. I have good working relations with most OEMs and brands since my employer is selling them all. Tom's Germany is just a side job/"paid hobby".

Several brands are working on Gold and Platinum 230V EU now. Super Flower already has announced Leadex II Gold will bei also 230V EU Gold certified. If R&D time table can be met there will be at least 6 high end PSU models with 230V EU Platinum before end of 2016, because I've seen the interal roadmap of the OEMs. The extra cost for 230V EU efficiency level is actually not so big, because you can cut cost of the primary side's components. No need for 115V input compatibility if the PSU is sold in Europe only, for example.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

quest for silence (07-12-2016)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't get you Pavel (and partially I don't get you too, Mask): from a practical standpoint, an EU Gold (or Platinum, or Titanium, whatever) is mainly a limited subset of the 115V Gold certification.

So what?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So are we saying that a PSU with universal voltage running on 230V is less efficient than a PSU that can only run on 230V???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Nope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then your original statement makes no sense. Your conclusion at the end that 80Plus Gold 230V EI equals 80Plus gold moreso than 80Plus Platinum is not supported by anything you said in the paragraphs above.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    No you're right, he just describes it a bit strange.

A PSU with 80PLUS Gold needs to be 87%, 90% and 87% efficient by 20, 50 and 100% load. If you would test a PSU like that on 230V the efficiency wil be a bit higher normally, especially on 50% and 100% load.

That is also why the requirements of 80PLUS Gold 230V EU are higher with 90, 92 an 89% efficiency with 20, 50 and 100% load. Those efficiency numbers are the same as 80PLUS Platinum, but if this PSU had a universal input the efficiency would be more like 80PLUS Gold, because efficiency goes down on 115V.

So saying that 80PLUS Gold 230V EU equals 80PLUS Platinum is just wrong, it's more like 80PLUS Gold 230V EU equals 80PLUS Gold.
    The bolded statement is particularly confusing. If the PSU has a universal efficiency, it would be more like 80Plus Gold. Yes, it would, if you are running it on 115V. But if you are running it on 230V, would not the efficiency be more like 80Plus Platinum? I don't know, I just don't see how you reached that conclusion statement based on what you said above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

It does makes sense, you only didn't understand, Philip did though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I understand that it costs more money to reach 80Plus Platinum than 80Plus Gold EU, so in terms of a money sense, 80Plus Gold EU does equal 80Plus Gold since it would cost marginally more money to develop an 80Plus Platinum PSU vs an 80Plus Gold EU PSU over a normal 80Plus Gold PSU. On the other hand, the percentages are equal for the efficiency levels that must be met are the same. So, what I can deduce that it is merely a subjective matter which is why none of you can recah an agreement. Subjective things never reach agreements, since there is no factual conclusion, only opinion.