Thread: PC won't turn on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC won't turn on

Hey,

When i try to turn the pc on nothing happens.
    my current CPU is crosair 650W A.PFC 80+ TX650M.
    Thing is, I'm able to charge my phone from the back of the pc and from the front aswell.
    I tried to clear the CMOS battery and it doesn't seems to help.
    when i plug the PSU cable off, few seconds later i plugged it back in, i noticed the fans start to work for a few seconds and than stops.
    I also noticed there was a noise (some kind of a click) but not really sure from where (only happens after I try to turn the PC on at the 1st time after i plugged the cable back).

In-case it's important, this is my PC spec:
    MOBO: z77x-d3h
    CPU: i5 3550 3.3mhz
    CPU FAN: Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP
    RAM: Geil 8GB 1600MHZ
    SSD
    12 mm fan

If my PSU is dead, i don't know how it's possible to charge my phone (same with mobo i guess, if it was dead i couldn't charge my phone), please correct me if im wrong.
    I don't even know what might be the problem.
    Does any one can help me please?
    I'm really desperate.
    Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by michmich; 06-07-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Did this build work before? Or is it a new build?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Did this build work before? Or is it a new build?
    Yeah.
    My PC was off (not in use) for couple of days, but today when i tried to turn it on it won't respond at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sounds like a protection circuit is triggering a PSU shutdown.

This can be due to a short circuit somewhere. Several possibilities for this:

- Dead (shorted out) PC component
    - One of the PC components (motherboard, graphics card) touching a piece of metal thus being temporarily shorted out
    - One of the cables/connectors of the PSU are shorted (pins touching a piece of metal or some component's pins/contacts; a cable is pinched/grazed/cut)
    - The PSU itself is internally shorted out at the secondary

I claim the above as your 5V stand-by rail seems to be working just fine, as you say you're able to charge your phone, and the USB ports are powered. This usually means the primary is alive and well and the problem is on the secondary.

The best thing to do is troubleshooting via a process of elimination.

At the moment I don't quite have the time for a detailed step-by-step guide, but generally you wanna test the PSU with only a trivial load (with like a couple of fans or a non-critical hard drive connected to it). If it powers up, take everything out of the PC case and test on a non-conductive surface with just the bare basics - motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM. If it powers up, gradually add components and find which one is preventing the PC from working. If everything works outside of the case, look for a short in there - something must be touching something when it shouldn't.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Sorry had to make that joke. For what it's worth, I would reiterate what McSteel said. Sound advice - good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Sounds like a protection circuit is triggering a PSU shutdown.
    The best thing to do is troubleshooting via a process of elimination.

At the moment I don't quite have the time for a detailed step-by-step guide, but generally you wanna test the PSU with only a trivial load (with like a couple of fans or a non-critical hard drive connected to it). If it powers up, take everything out of the PC case and test on a non-conductive surface with just the bare basics - motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM. If it powers up, gradually add components and find which one is preventing the PC from working. If everything works outside of the case, look for a short in there - something must be touching something when it shouldn't.
    I said what you wanna be, she said, "Alive"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only MOV inside the PC would be the hard drive, disconnect the power to the drive and retry..

I have had this problem and in many cases never been able to figure it out. The last time my PC was on when a surge happened and it took out everything including the 8TB hard drive. The led status still works and so does the mouse but any 12V supply gets shorted.. Another time a working PC would not turn on after not using it a few days and it was not the drive or PSU and still debugging that one. You need a lot of spare parts to fix things like this. Even diagnostic cards but I noticed that unless its lie an OS install problem those cards are useless.