Thread: Corsair RM1000i OCP and dual GPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair RM1000i OCP and dual GPU.

Hi guys and gals!

I got a quick question about the Corsair RM1000i that I bought last year.

Reviews says it is supposed to have OCP for multi-rail, 40A/rail, given that it is enabled in the Corsair Link software, and so it was, togher with this I got a new GPU, the Radeon Pro Duo, and OCP was enabled in Corsair Link v.4.2.3.41. The RPD uses 3x8 pin PCI-E contacts for the power.

Needless to say, the PC just shut down in an instant during gaming, same way as it would during a power outage, no BSOD etc, just ZAP, dead. except nothing else but the PC shut down. So I figured the new GPU tripped the OCP. This happened within one hour of installation.

Now I disabled it in Corsair Link, and it hasn't happened again, but is OCP totally disabled now or just for multi-rail?

i.e is there still OCP but on one rail only, and is there another limit for it to trip?

Should I have multi-rail OCP on with this card, given that I use two different cables ( One split with two 8 pin and one more cable with two 8 pin but only use one ).

Grateful for any replies! : )

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For my ax1500i at least, I can specify a max current draw for each connector on the psu.

I think that disables ocp altogether

EDIT: You are using 3 seperate cables right? If no, thats how you start a fire!

This is what it shows for my ax1500i. Don't have link installed on my other machine with the 860i.

Oh, here you go: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/20...ary/hxi_vs_axi

"
    The AXi allows for extremely detailed monitoring of voltage, amperage, and efficiency, with amperage in particular monitored on a per-cable, per-rail basis. An AXi PSU allows the end user to configure Over-Current Protection trip points manually for the +12V rails and configure the power supply for virtual single or multiple +12V rail operation. By default, the AXi ships set to multiple +12V rail, so if a single +12V rail is desired, it is necessary to go into Link and uncheck all of the boxes to disable OCP on the +12V rails."

"Corsair Link monitoring and control is also more limited on the HXi. We retain monitoring of power supply efficiency, temperature, and fan speed. We can also monitor voltage and amperage on the 12V, 5.5V, and 3V rails. The monitoring is more basic, though; while the AXi can monitor specific draws (24-pin motherboard cable, peripherals, individual PCIe rails), the HXi only gives a broad monitoring of 12V draw.

While we can’t configure OCP points on a per +12V rail basis like we can in the AXi, we can still toggle single and multiple +12V rail operation on the HXi. Like with the AXi series of power supplies, the HXi ships as a multiple +12V rail power supply by default.
    "

HXi and RMi are basically the same platform.
    Last edited by ridgid13579; 05-23-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: more info added

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

You should use three different cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aeig View Post
    Now I disabled it in Corsair Link, and it hasn't happened again, but is OCP totally disabled now or just for multi-rail?
    The verbiage in Link is stupid (sorry Aaron).

If you "disable OCP", you're putting it in single +12V rail mode.

THAT SAID, and parroting what others here are suggesting, you should probably go ahead and split up those PCIe cables because 40A is a lot for a single PCIe cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm using three separate cables now each with it's own connection to the PSU and one connector to the GPU, I have enabled OCP and so far it has not been tripped.

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

It shouldn't be tripped now. With two cables you were just overloading one cable.