Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Evaluation for Future Purchase: 850W Seasonic PSUs - M12 II Evo vs X-850 (vs CS850M)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    I apologise for my ignorance, but in my defence, Corsair can and should have just avoided all this mess by dropping the CX brand when they switched to a better platform.
    No.

There's still enough cache in the CX model name to leverage. If a model name is somehow "damaged" or has a relatively short life (less than 2 years) you can easily kill it off. But if you have something like CX that has been around for years and has thousands of reviews, you want to leverage that as much as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OK, with less than eight hours to go until Black Friday is a GO in my time zone, here is the list of PSUs that I'll keep a lookout for on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, in a rough order of preference. I've emailed several local e-tailers and done a bucketload of searching on South African websites, and these are the PSUs that seem to be the best choice of the ones that they keep.

Do you have any further input/suggestions to change the order in this list please? You guys have given me lots of advice and I feel that I've learnt quite a bit, so I think this list is reasonable.

As a reminder, I intend to keep this system for a good five or more years, I would prefer a quieter PSU and I'm going to be using a system that will be using less than 300W at full tilt: a 65W i7-6700 (non-K) and a 150W/200W RX 480. I'm buying a Crossfire compatible motherboard that will allow me to add a second card a few years down the road, but I'm prepared to buy a bigger PSU *IF* I choose to do so.

(All USD prices are converted from South Afrian Rands, rounded up to the nearest $2.)
    1. EVGA GQ 650W (210-GQ-0650-V1) - $73
    2. Cooler Master Vanguard-S 450W (RS450-AMAAG1) - $70
    3. Cooler Master Vanguard-S 500W (RS550-AMAAG1) - $76
    4. Corsair CX 450M - $48
    5. Corsair CX 500 - $56
    6. EVGA B1 500W (100-B1-0500-KR) - $73 (only on this list if it goes on a REALLY good special, like below $45 or something.)
    7. Almost any of the Platinum/Titanium/Germanium/Unobtainium rated units should they go on a very good special (I'll check for a review here first, of course! :-)

I've asked several e-tailers and none of them can get Seasonic PSUs, so the G-360 is unfortunately out, unless @SeasonicRep can do something amazing.

Since our government has changed the policies/taxes on imported goods I'm not that comfortable anymore ordering parts that I want in a hurry from Amazon/overseas. The last time I did so I waited a month for a phone case and three months for a phone charger to clear customs with me having paying additional import duties on those items.

Thank you

EDIT:
    Oh dear, I just realized that I haven't checked each of these PSUs to see if they have an eight-pin connector should the RX480 I purchase use an eight-pin. How much of an issue is it if I have to use a 6-8pin adapter?
    Last edited by GDILord; 11-24-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: That sudden-realization feeling...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

You still don't have a PSU???

Don't think you wil find something better then the CM V450S for 850 ZAR back in May.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep. It's always been to buy on or around Black Friday. I've been researching all of my purchases and waiting for the darn GPU releases to happen (and saving money, lol) for the past ten months or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you very much for your assistance, ladies and gentlemen, the parts for the new computer have just arrived!! :-D :-D

This is the PSU that I bought: