Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evaluation for Future Purchase: 850W Seasonic PSUs - M12 II Evo vs X-850 (vs CS850M)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The Delta PSU is very far off from what you need, unless you're able and willing to heavily modify it plus you have the necessary components, tools and knowledge to do it safely and reliably.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

GDILord (09-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    unless you're able and willing to heavily modify it plus you have the necessary components, tools and knowledge to do it safely and reliably.
    So that's an absolute no then! Lol! Thank you McSteel. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I take no pleasure in dissuading people from taking the longer road to success, but unless you're seriously into electronics and metalwork, this bite is a bit more than you can chew.

The PSU only has what, 3x 4-pin power connectors, a very short 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS and that's about it. It also uses 2x 40mm fans which will scream and whine more than a frustrated stay-at-home wife. And then there's the 1U form factor making it difficult to fit the PSU into ATX enclosures...

You'd have to solder on some new wires/connectors, probably bridge the 12V rails together, tack on a back panel expander (with some support "beams" - metal rods) so the PSU can be screwed onto an ATX PSU mount point without warping anything... AND you'd have to find a way to mount a larger fan at an angle because the heatsinks are shaped and the components placed such that front-to-back airflow is the most effective. Top-down would probably meet too much resistance and form nasty hotspots.

Better go with a retail ATX product
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

GDILord (10-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is my current short-list that I will be on the look-out for come Black Friday/Cyber Monday. It's ranked based on what I think/guess/have read is the best in terms of reliability and won't-fry-the-rest-of-my-system-ility. As a reminder, I'm aiming for 300W or lower for my new PC: an RX 480 at (worst case scenario) 200W + a 100W or less CPU + 15W of motherboard, drives etc.)

1. Corsair CX430 / CMPSU-430CXV2EU - $40
    2. Corsair CX450M / CP-9020101-EU - $55
    3. Coolermaster V550S / RS550-AMAAG1 - $90 (very expensive IMO though, also almost sold out everywhere in SA.)
    4. Seasonic G-360 - I can't find it anywhere in SA though. :-( (Also, even though my brain says that my system won't actually go over 300W, a tiny part of it is screaming that it's cutting it too close for comfort, lol.)
    5. EVGA 500B - $45
    6. Seasonic SS-520GB S12II- $45

From what I've read, the best PSU in this list as far as quality goes would be the CX450M, right? How quiet are the CX430/450 at idle/low loads, say 50W or less? Like many other people have said elsewhere, most modern PSUs are totally "good enough," which is great, I just want that little bit extra: for my PSU to help ensure that my components last longer than with an average PSU and that my PSU won't be the component making noise at idle since my computer is right next to my bed and occasionally runs overnight doing long downloads.)

Thank you
    Last edited by GDILord; 10-31-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added a reminder about my probable power target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@GDILord

We should be having Black Friday on November 25th here in SA, so it may be wise to hold off your purchasing decisions until then.

I would strongly avoid the Corsair CX units even based on their price. I would go for the FSP Aurum 400W, it costs less than the CX450M you linked while performing better in every metric.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The_Assimilator View Post
    We should be having Black Friday on November 25th here in SA, so it may be wise to hold off your purchasing decisions until then.
    Yep, that's what I'm going to do, Black Friday / Cyber Monday. :-)

I would strongly avoid the Corsair CX units even based on their price. I would go for the FSP Aurum 400W, it costs less than the CX450M you linked while performing better in every metric.
    What is your source for that information please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Performance from FSP Aurum S 400W is a lot worse then the Corsair CX450M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Mask. And how is the CX430 please?

Edit:
    Never mind, here's the review by Jonny.

@Jonny: Do you still stand by your 9/10 scoring from five years ago please? And since efficiency isn't that much of a concern to me, should this statement from Corsair give me any cause for concern?
    "UPDATE (1/3/11, 17:30):

Soon after this review going live, I was contacted by someone from Corsair... Corsair tells me that this unit is NOT 80 Plus certified.
    "
    Last edited by GDILord; 10-31-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Included a link to the JG review by Jonny. Added the question about the unit not being 80 Plus certified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Don't look at the numbers, but try to understand the review. Because those numbers don't tell you much.

From the PSU you named the Cooler Master V550S and Seasonic G-series 360W are the best two power supplies. The Corsair CX450M delivers similar performance, but the quality of the caps is a bit less, which means that you should replace the PSU after 7 or 8 years or so. The Seasonic S12II 520W has better caps, but this design is 7 years old and really designed for a modern PC. The EVGA 500B and Corsair CX430V2 are also old designs like the Seasonic, but the quality is also not that great, which makes them the worse two power supplies.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (10-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    What is your source for that information please?
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fsp-a...supply-review/ (that's the 700W but it's the same platform). All caps are rated to 105 degrees.

Wolfy also did a review of the Xilenser 400W which looks to be based on the same platform, and was pretty happy with it.

And the Aurum is Gold-rated, the ones you've listed (except the CM Vanguard) are all Bronze.

As for the Corsair CX units... lots of people, including myself, have had poor experiences with them. The CS series is a little better but uses third-tier capacitors that are only rated to 85 degrees.