Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evaluation for Future Purchase: 850W Seasonic PSUs - M12 II Evo vs X-850 (vs CS850M)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seasonic X is not bad, remember it was one of the first very good performing, semi-fanless units with good components and long warranty. Also fully modular. It may be somewhat falling behind all the G2/RMx these days as it is already fairly old, but still much better than the G series and if priced properly…

M12II is not really bad if you have limited budget, but due to the efficiency and such high rated power output, it runs hot and loud.

The VS costs some incredibly small money ATM in CZ, not sure if it is not the older revision with crappy caps and faster fan (as they are also for much higher price in different shops). But for the price (<1700 CZK for V550S, thats <70 bucks) its a steal, with 5y warranty I would not care about the crapacitors…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Seasonic X is not bad, remember it was one of the first very good performing, semi-fanless units with good components and long warranty. Also fully modular. It may be somewhat falling behind all the G2/RMx these days as it is already fairly old, but still much better than the G series and if priced properly…

M12II is not really bad if you have limited budget, but due to the efficiency and such high rated power output, it runs hot and loud.

The VS costs some incredibly small money ATM in CZ, not sure if it is not the older revision with crappy caps and faster fan (as they are also for much higher price in different shops). But for the price (<1700 CZK for V550S, thats <70 bucks) its a steal, with 5y warranty I would not care about the crapacitors…

VS has 5 year warranty? I thought it was 3 years, interesting.
    Oh, you meant cooler master VS right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, VS/V Semi Modular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Super Flower Golden Green HX is not the same as Golden Green without HX. Quality of the HX is lower. HX is a downgrades version of the original Golden Green series.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    already told you that the Cooler Master V450 Semi Modular was a great option.
    Do you mean this one here, Mask? The RS450-AMAAG1? They're currently out of stock but I estimate that the cost would be around $60 incl delivery.

My primary goal is that the PSU will be good for at least five/eight years, and my secondary goal is silence at low power because my computer is right next to my bed, so if I leave it on over night I'd still like to sleep well. The reason I'm a little bit skeptical is that I can only find two reviews of the V450:
    HW-Journal.de
    PC-Max.de
    From these two it appears that the V450S is reasonably quiet. Is that correct or are these two sites unreliable?

The PSU that is in my current rig and that has lasted over eight years now is a Gigabyte GE-R460-v1, which is apparently a piece of rubbish (thank you for the review Behemot! :-) , so I don't know if I'm worrying about longevity of the PSU and it having bad ripple and specs shortening the life of the other components for nothing. Am I worrying about nothing?

@CrapXon:
    The V450 has a five year warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    Do you mean this one here, Mask? The RS450-AMAAG1? They're currently out of stock but I estimate that the cost would be around $60 incl delivery.
    Yes that one, it was 850 ZAR (~40$) first time you asked and that would made it a great buy. But if it's out of stock it probably won't come back, because it's already EOL for a year or so.

My primary goal is that the PSU will be good for at least five/eight years, and my secondary goal is silence at low power because my computer is right next to my bed, so if I leave it on over night I'd still like to sleep well. The reason I'm a little bit skeptical is that I can only find two reviews of the V450:
    HW-Journal.de
    PC-Max.de
    From these two it appears that the V450S is reasonably quiet. Is that correct or are these two sites unreliable?
    You can also use this 550W review from TechPowerUp: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V550S/ Only difference should be the fan, 550W had a double ball bearing, V450S a sleeve bearing. As you can see in this review it's a very good power supply and 850 ZAR was extremely low.

The PSU that is in my current rig and that has lasted over eight years now is a Gigabyte GE-R460-v1, which is apparently a piece of rubbish (thank you for the review Behemot! :-)
    Back in the day it was a nice budget PSU from FSP called GLN series. Not much wrong with those PSU's in low wattage form. Cap quality only wasn't always that great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cap quality was terrible, and in some versions there were also flaws with couple cheape-out diodes. Plus I've seen cases of seized fans and baked PFC coil. IMO the first BlueStorm version (THN-P, back than with passive PFC) was better platform than the BlueStorm II. The SFX derivates (GLS and other) are even worse and could go wrong anywhere between 1 and 2 years after installing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Seasonic SS-520GB S12II is on sale for roughly $45 after adding in shipping costs - JG review score = 9.8

It seems to be pretty good. However, how quiet/noisy is it since it appears that it doesn't have a fanless mode? In the summary OW says it's pretty quiet. Any comment on this one please? (I had to chuckle when he said "go forth and buy one" ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a very quiet PSU. At low loads you can have bearing noise. At mid-high loads fan RPMs will be rather high.

Most reviewers don't evaluate fan noise, since their loads' fans produce quite bit of that. Few have setups that do (like TPU).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rafal_iB_PL For This Useful Post:

GDILord (08-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you rafal_iB_PL. I won't add it to my list of possible ones to purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmmm... I'm tempted to save myself some money and not buy a new PSU, but rather use this old 500W Delta DPS-500GB. It is apparently a very stable, rock solid unit and it has more capacity than I need.

If I can find a way of keeping the noise down by perhaps ripping the cover off and using a large fan instead of those two jet engines and using some molex-SATA adapters I can spend the money saved elsewhere in my new build.

However, I have a feeling that I'm missing something and that it would be better to not go cheap on the component that could kill all the other components in my case. :-) What do you guys think?