Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evaluation for Future Purchase: 850W Seasonic PSUs - M12 II Evo vs X-850 (vs CS850M)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Evaluation for Future Purchase: 850W Seasonic PSUs - M12 II Evo vs X-850 (vs CS850M)

TL;DR:
    The cheapest of the three PSUs seems to be the best - the Seasonic M12 II. Am I misreading anything? What better PSUs are available for under USD125 that will deliver cleaner power, quieter, to help ensure the longevity of the rest of the components in my system?

Full Post:
    Hello

I'm in South Africa looking at a new build to replace my aging 8 year old machine. I try to buy the best that I can afford and carefully look after it so that the systems last and age well. I consider the PSU to be the most important component of my system due to the fact that it can kill all the other components. :-)

While I'd like to have a high-end 3x 32" 4K Eyefinity setup, I'm eyeing a mid-range build with the emphasis on silence, so I'm evaluating getting a good 750/850W PSU so that the components don't stress it and so the PSU fan will hopefully not actually start turning at all. I've been reading JG occasionally for a few years and I've been impressed with what the reviewers have said about Seasonic and so I consider them to be the best, or amongst the best, when it comes to PSUs.

In my country, here are rough prices for three 850W PSUs:
    SeaSonic M12II 850W: USD97
    SeaSonic X Series 850W: USD121
    Corsair CS850M 850W: USD122

Comparing the hot box of the three reviews here on JG (because in this case I'm a pessimist ;-):

Here in South Africa we use 220/240V. Is 110V used here at JG, and if so will it change the numbers significantly?

The remarks on the Overshoot Transient Tests all seem to indicate that they are fine, just the X having a 12% spike. However, how likely are they to degrade over, say five years? Is there any way to tell other than tossing a coin? :-)

I don't know what the spec limits are for the +3.3V, +5V and +12V columns are, but no negative remarks were made in any of the reviews. Also, I'm not too fussed with efficiency, I just want all the other components in the system to receive the cleanest power so that they last as long as humanly possible! :-)

I don't fully understand ripple, other than it is the range of voltage that is delivered to the consuming device (Could "What is ripple and why is it dangerous?" be added to the site's PSU FAQ, perhaps?) but it seems that that M12 II - the cheapest PSU in my country - actually has the least ripple. Is my understanding of ripple correct?

In your opinions, is my understanding of these three PSUs reasonably correct? What other PSUs do you suggest I take a look at that are under USD125 that are of good (preferably high) quality so that the system's other components will be served with high quality power - preferably at a noise level of zero please?

Thank you
    GDI Lord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Short answer:

None.

Get an RMx or EVGA G2.

If you cant find them, get the Seasonic X series.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delter For This Useful Post:

Chipskate (05-17-2016), GDILord (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Give us a link to a shop.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And your specs too (to help to advice).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for your suggestion Delter. I checked the reviews and wow, I'm really impressed!
    EVGA Supernova G2 power supply reviews:
    550W: 10/10
    650W: 9.6/10
    750W: 9.8/10
    850W: 9.9/10

@quest for silence: I'm starting to plan a mid-range build for near that can handle the occasional 1080p title with all the details turned to the max, and maybe even 1440p. I'm waiting for the reviews to come out for the 1070, and then Polaris 11 and 10. Since I also dabble in programming at home I want at least 8 threads, so I'm also waiting for Zen. Hopefully when Polaris launches the like of the 390X and the 980 will experience a price drop. Hey, I might even be able to grab a Fury/Nano. I've done some research and it appears that, at peak power draw during Furmark runs, the 390X, the most power hungry of the bunch, hits about 375W/400W, so depending on the rest of the system I might be fine with the G2 550W. (Even though the smallest G2 series PSU available locally appears to be the 750W.)

@CrapXon: I used PriceCheck.co.za and Landmark Computers to get a feel for the prices and if a product is available from a shop in South Africa, but I'll strongly consider importing from Amazon US. To compensate for the exchange rate, import duties and vendor markups, times the USD price by 20 to get the South African Rand price. *GDI Lord tries to not start crying while thinking about the exchange rate*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

The Cooler Master V450 Semi Modular is actually extremely well priced in South Africa, it's only around 850 ZAR.

If you don't overclock, it should be enough for almost every single GPU gaming configuration.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (05-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    I'll strongly consider importing from Amazon US. To compensate for the exchange rate, import duties and vendor markups, times the USD price by 20 to get the South African Rand price. *GDI Lord tries to not start crying while thinking about the exchange rate*
    I have heard from MORE than a handful of folks that simply ordering from Amazon US is cheaper than dealing with local prices/taxes/custom fees, etc. in certain regions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

GDILord (05-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

@Mask: Baie dankie, I'll take it into consideration should something bad happen to the budget for the new computer. As a point of reference, the Cooler Master V450 Semi Modular is roughly USD43.

@Jonny: Yep, I've proved that true a few times already. However, SA has decided to increase import tax on electronic goods (initially they wanted to hit cross-border software downloads with that tax too! *smh*) so I'll need to re-evaluate things. Also, if I need to RMA something, who on earth do I send it to? Paying the shipping cost back to whichever country it came from could be a tad expensive, but if a unit is drastically cheaper or flat-out unavailable I'll definitely consider it again.

Based on what QFS said here in the discussion for the EVGA G2 550W review about the P2 being quite silent, I've added the EVGA Supernova P2 650W to my list of candidates. I'll have to see what the price is when I buy, but currently it's in the lead (even if it is currently USD150 including shipping to SA The G2 650W is only USD10 cheaper.)

Edit 2: Amazon DE ships the Corsair Vengeance 650M to South Africa for about USD90, including shipping.

(Apologies to the mods if this deserves it's own thread.) As a more general question, in the P2 650 review OklahomaWolf makes mention of an extremely brief 25mV spike on the 12V rail. How much long term damage do things like ripple cause to electronic components? The ATX spec says that the limit for ripple on the 12V rail is 120mV. So if a component expects 12V in but gets a a constant stream of power that fluctuates between, say 11.89V and 12.11V (+-110mV,) why is that bad? Surely the component will have a safe operating range of 11.88V and 12.12V as defined by the spec? (I would imagine lower and higher respectively to deal with power that is slightly outside the spec, but hey, that's just me.)

Edit: Never mind, I found a blog post from Jonny from 2013: http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/...ter-experience I'm reading it now...
    Last edited by GDILord; 06-14-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: I think that I found an answer to the ripple question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wootware, a South African online store is currently running a special on some of their PSUs:
    • Super Flower SF-550P14XE(HX) Golden Green HX 550W for +-USD53, incl delivery.
      @OklahomaWolf: Do you still stand by your review of this unit's little 450W brother from back in 2011 scoring it an 8.8?
    • Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS650 650W for +-USD53, incl delivery.
      While you guys haven't done a review on it that I could find, it doesn't appear to be highly regarded.

This is my short list, with the PSUs I'm most likely to get rated by silence and then price including shipping (keeping in mind that I'll be occasionally scanning the shops and especially Black Friday.) If you have a better suggestion, please feel free to correct me:
    1. EVGA Supernova P2 650W - USD150 - JG review score = 9.8
    2. EVGA Supernova G2 650W - USD140 - JG review score = 9.6
    3. Corsair Vengeance 650M - USD90 - JG review score = 9.8

As stated in an earlier post, I haven't nailed down a final spec. With my specific use cases I was aiming for some decent 1080p gaming and a CPU with at least 8 threads. The RX480 at only 150-200-odd watts has completely surprised me by blowing the doors off of 1080p gaming. Heck, the baby RX460 apparently promises eight times the power of my current 6670 at only 75W. I doubt that the CPU will consume more than 100W, seeing as the 6700K only uses 100W - unless Zen is dirt cheap but sucks up 200W of power, lol. (My current E6570 uses 65W.)

So if, at a peak during heavy gaming, my new computer might only use 400W (200W GFX + 100W CPU + 75W other + 25W InCaseICompletelyMiscalculate,) why am I looking to get a 650W PSU? Because I want the PSU to be silent/operate in fanless mode. Again, I think that I still have loads to learn about PSUs, so if I'm missing something very obvious or there is a better way to achieve silence from a PSU than by buying an oversized one with semi-passive mode, please let me know.

(Of course, if I get a Fury for an amazing deal sometime then it's a 300W GPU ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GDILord View Post
    Wootware, a South African online store is currently running a special on some of their PSUs:[*]Super Flower SF-550P14XE(HX) Golden Green HX 550W for +-USD53, incl delivery.
    @OklahomaWolf: Do you still stand by your review of this unit's little 450W brother from back in 2011 scoring it an 8.8?
    Super Flower Golden Green HX is not the same as Golden Green without HX. Quality of the HX is lower. HX is a downgrades version of the original Golden Green series. But 53 dollars incl. delivery sounds like a fair price.
    [*]Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS650 650W for +-USD53, incl delivery.
    While you guys haven't done a review on it that I could find, it doesn't appear to be highly regarded.[/LIST]
    Don't believe anything what SR-71 Blackbird says, he almost knows nothing about power supplies and only spams bullshit in bold.

Anyway, the Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W is a lot better and a much better buy.

So if, at a peak during heavy gaming, my new computer might only use 400W (200W GFX + 100W CPU + 75W other + 25W InCaseICompletelyMiscalculate,)
    Yes that's to high for a PC with RX 480 and i7 6700K without overclocking, you won't get past 300W.
    why am I looking to get a 650W PSU?
    Don't know, already told you that the Cooler Master V450 Semi Modular was a great option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (08-05-2016)