Thread: Windows update not working

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Windows update not working

Hello Gentlemen.
    I have just about finished my new PC based on a Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170X motherboard + i7-6700k, 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX and an EVGA FTW 980Ti GFX.
    No overclocking on the cpu.

I used my existing Windows 7 home 64bit (as used on my now old PC) and it was validated my MS as genuine, and after the install I clicked on the windows update to sort of finish off things.
    But, it just shows 'checking for updates' and goes not further, even leaving it running for half an hour or so.

So, I shut down, restarted using my new disc with Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit, and installed that on the drive.

Once again I tried to update windows, and just got the 'checking for updates' and nothing happened.

So, I tried to update it to Windows 10, but that failed when it got to checking for updates, so the installation would not finish.
    First off I used a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 250GB, and the second time I used a Samsung 950 Pro Nvme 256GB M.2 drive, to see if a change of OS drive would make a difference - apparently it doesn't.

Apart from that, I can get on the internet and mail with no problems as normal.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why windows update will not, ummm update - at all ?

Thank you.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    So, does anyone have any ideas as to why windows update will not, ummm update - at all ?
    Do not mess with multiple installations: malfunctioning WU is not that uncommon, almost always it's not hardware related (did you check your connection?), and it's not an easy day.

Do a clean install with your favourite OS (directly either a W7, a W10 or W8.1 one, do not let MS "upgrade" your OS) then wait: whether in a day or so WU shouldn't work, then try a reset. If that doesn't help, I guess Google is your next best friend.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Quest..

Yep, I did clean installs with Win7 Home and Win 7 Ultimate, using a different drive both times, and only using one OS to try and get the updates.

Internet works just fine, and downloading is not a problem either.

I thought I would try updating the fresh install of Win7 to Win10 (whilst it is still free) to see if that would make any difference, but since it couldn't get updates from MS, then the installation failed.

I didn't have this problem when installing Win 7 Home on my 'old' PC, which would happily download all the millions of MS updates, but it wouldn't on installing on this new machine, even though MS certified it as 'Genuine'.

Many restarts were required when setting up drivers and some software, and setting up the BIOS.

I did try Google, and people did have problems with win updates, and the solutions I tried didn't work.

So the system works just fine, except for not being able to download any MS updates...
    Last edited by Baron; 04-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phew, fixed it !!
    I re-installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, and that fixed the MS updates, and thousands quickly appeared for downloading, which I am now doing.

Panic over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

I had a similar problem after reinstalling 7 on a Samsung laptop. It wouldn't do the initial Windows update until the scheduled update time. The next day, doing updates was no problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post

I thought I would try updating the fresh install of Win7 to Win10 (whilst it is still free) to see if that would make any difference, but since it couldn't get updates from MS, then the installation failed.

I didn't have this problem when installing Win 7 Home on my 'old' PC, which would happily download all the millions of MS updates, but it wouldn't on installing on this new machine, even though MS certified it as 'Genuine'.
    Right, I've been reading up on MS because peers have recommended Linux as a better alternative - mainly because of issues like the one you describe.

I found an article, which states,

the manageable hardware requirements and the considerably simpler licensing (in comparison to Microsoft) as well as the excellent Cloud support are some other rewarding benefits of the Linux operating system.

What do you think and do you agree with this? Full article about Linux can be found here in case anyone wants to read further.

Thanks, and glad OP your issue is resolved
    I said what you wanna be, she said, "Alive"