Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88

Thread: What power supply will be best for me?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Emperor's Retreat/Naboo Moenia
    Posts
    869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    I'm assuming that 650 G2 just like the 550 drops the PWR_OK signal at 10.8V. Just crappy, I'm happy Aris tests this stuff now. Do you guys also think it's 10.8V for the rest of the lineup, or just the 550W model or a couple in particular?
    That's the problem, that we can only assume.
    Unfortunately for EVGA, the failure of their OEM ( Superflower) for the Leadex 550 Gold, will cast shadows for EVGA's G2 line as well !
    As i said before, i'm not a person that takes ( unnecessary) risks, so there is no way for me to trust a platform similar to the one that failed (*unless of course if i see a review first )
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

  2. #72
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Do you guys also think it's 10.8V for the rest of the lineup, or just the 550W model or a couple in particular?
    Among all the recent Leadex, the 650 P2 should have failed as well, check the relevant Aris' review (OTOH the 850 T2 and 1600 T2 did pass).
    Best, Luca

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Emperor's Retreat/Naboo Moenia
    Posts
    869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Among all the recent Leadex, the 650 P2 should have failed as well, check the relevant Aris' review (OTOH the 850 T2 and 1600 T2 did pass).
    -Why do you say that? There is no proof (review) for that.
    -At Pavel's review for SF Leadex Platinum750 ( http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/s...50-w-review/6/ ), the PSU drops the Power_OK signal first as it was supposed to do (* although overall it failed the test, at least this failure was rather insignificant compared to the Leadex Gold550)
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

  4. #74
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
    -Why do you say that? There is no proof (review) for that.
    Tell me, what did I say, sith'ari?
    Best, Luca

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Emperor's Retreat/Naboo Moenia
    Posts
    869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Tell me, what did I say, sith'ari?
    You said that it should have failed as well. How do you support this statement without any data for Power_OK measurement?
    Perhaps you wanted to say "probably, it would have failed as well" ? (*which would be exactly the same with what i believe as well)
    (*the word "should" is not meant to be used, if you want to state probability ,-from what i know at least-)
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

  6. #76
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
    You said that it should have failed as well.
    It's just a language issue, sith'ari: (IIRC) the 650 P2 should have failed as well (as the 550 Gold did): as a matter of fact I didn't recall correctly, and it was the 850 P2 to have failed as well as the 550 Gold, not the 650 P2 (which was tested before: OTOH I also explicitly invited to check the recent Aris' Leadex reviews, so that's ok).
    Best, Luca

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    327
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Seeing as the Leadex Platinum 550 did not pass for hold-up time (only 13.8ms) in Aris' review on Tomshardware here, it probably is safe to assume the PWR_OK signal drops after the voltages go out of spec. So it is a good assumption this is a persistent issue for the entire EVGA G2 and P2 lineup. 'Tis a shame, because those P2 units have really nice performance (especially ripple), and if it wasn't for this downfall, they'd be much better.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:

    sith'ari (04-23-2016)

  9. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Emperor's Retreat/Naboo Moenia
    Posts
    869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Seeing as the Leadex Platinum 550 did not pass for hold-up time (only 13.8ms) in Aris' review on Tomshardware here, it probably is safe to assume the PWR_OK signal drops after the voltages go out of spec. So it is a good assumption this is a persistent issue for the entire EVGA G2 and P2 lineup. 'Tis a shame, because those P2 units have really nice performance (especially ripple), and if it wasn't for this downfall, they'd be much better.
    Logical assumption, but not a proven one.
    Don't forget the review for the EVGA P2 850 ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4454-4.html ). The Power_OK drops before the voltages get out of spec.
    My belief is that only the Superflower Gold/EVGA G2 line, is the "concerning" line.
    The P2 & T2 lines are much upgraded according to their reviews so far
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

  10. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    327
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
    Logical assumption, but not a proven one.
    Don't forget the review for the EVGA P2 850 ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4454-4.html ). The Power_OK drops before the voltages get out of spec.
    My belief is that only the Superflower Gold/EVGA G2 line, is the "concerning" line.
    The P2 & T2 lines are much upgraded according to their reviews so far
    Or it might just be a behavior with the 550 and possibly 650W models. Seeing as the 850 P2 actually did well, along with my suspicion at the Leadex Platinum 550, I have a feeling Superflower may only be doing this trick for the lower-wattage models.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:

    sith'ari (04-24-2016)

  12. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    327
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Actually, we had it all wrong. The EVGA 550 G2 is most likely a safe power supply.

    Here is the Tomshardware review for the 550 G2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4244-4.html

    It says 11ms is the hold-up time, but that is not true! The old testing equipment did not test hold-up time, it instead tested AC_LOSS to PWR_OK, even though they were falsely called hold-up time tests. So the G2 has a much lower AC_LOSS to PWR_OK value than the Leadex Gold 550, which means the 550 G2 should be 100% safe.

    Aris' new testing equipment doesn't add in AC_LOSS to PWR_OK testing; it simply renames the old test, which was called "hold-up time tests", to "AC_LOSS to PWR_OK". Which means the new testing equipment is used to test real hold-up time.

    The 650 G2 manages to have twice as high of an AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time than the 550 G2 and it uses the same bulk capacitor. It is the 650 G2 that is the problem, not the 550 G2. The 750 G2 also has too high of AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time, which means that that unit is also a problem.

    The 850 G2 is at 17.1ms, so it may or may not be a problem.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:

    sith'ari (04-24-2016)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  2. be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
  3. bequiet! Straight Power E9 CM 680 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM
  4. Review: Sentey Golden Steel Power 850W Power Supply
    By dlb in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
  5. Review: Sentey Golden Steel Power GSP850-SM 850 Watt Power Supply
    By dlb in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •