Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Corsair HX750i, the step above RMi @HWI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ROFLMAO. Have to check that, but if it's true, it is only good for real short (or near short). If something will actually draw those 480 W from that, the unit will burn in flames.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Behemot For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (03-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Yeah 40A is a bit high, but for the modular PEG and EPS connectors it's not that strange, if it was set at 30A people will see shutdowns when connecting two high-end graphics cards with two PEG cables with two 8 pins PEG connectors each.

And using PEG cables with only one PEG connector each, will probably cost to much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (03-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I really wish our PR people would hand out the reviewers guides with these units. It would make things so much easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

All that work for nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that guide you sent me makes it actually even worse. That protection on Main ATX also is (supposedly) 40 A. Can you tell me in which universe those two, nickel (or whatever not-gold) plated brass pins can handle 20 A? Connector either on the motherboard, or the PSU side will be long, LONG, L O N G time changed to dust before the OCP will ever react.

Such protection is of similar use as those UVPs which react when you have 10 V at +12 V rail.

And 40 A per 3 pins of that PCie cabling are almost the same. Really, you could have just made it proper single-rail instead of this thing and saved the money. The difference would be maybe 1 not-saved-from-melting failed motherboard or graphics card per million sold HXi.

I think you just took the worst of both worlds (true single rail, or true multi rail) to satisfy both groups, actually making it useless. Now gimme some time to see if that software can do something about it when it is supposed to be tweakable…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

I think you don't understand the real world application of OCP.

Maybe you should think more before you post.

And you can't change the OCP setting on the non-digital units. Only AXi allows the user to change OCP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand the application very well, That's actually why I am telling you 40 A is bullshit. For 40 A, that's resistance of 0.3 ohm at 12 V. With the connector resistance, cable resistance etc. it is enough for say failed (shorted) transistor to have internal resistance of 0.1-0.2 ohm and the OCP will do absolutelly nothing. As the real limit may be emuch higher (these monitors have laguhable accuracy) and such "almost short" will heat itself very quickly (increasing the resistance), it is very likely that if such situation ever occured, this unit will do nothing anyway. Actually it's own connectors may burn to dust.

Don't frelling tell me any crap, really Jon. Not only the protection is not proper, but those PCIe cables especially are PoS. Why on earth you only used 3 pins for +12 V when you have four pins avaialble in those modular EPS connectors?! How many times do I have to remind those bitcoin miners sucking 200 W per 6pin PCIe? These things are real!! Still got one here (though slowly failing module after module). I still have some of those burned Enermax cables, do I have to take photos of them for you to believe me? That was not even failure situation, that was normal operation!!

You cheaped out cables, provided more of them instead (which is not idiot-proof as somebody can just plug it the way he'll suck 400W through that weak point instead of balancing the power flow) and rely on OCP. OCP, which is set so high that you hope average Joe does not find you actually lied to him about the power distribution, but also so high it may just not work and save any component from flames.

You just made me add a test of how good the OCP is, we'll see…I can easily plug 630W on a single 8pin ATX 12 V, that's over 50 A. We'll see!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Great, love those tests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*gets popcorn out*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

So it doesn't matter if it's one, two, three or four +12V rails, right? That's what you're saying? I just want to be sure. You're actual complaint is that 40A is too high?

I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Because it doesn't matter if you have a 40A OCP over one connector, two connectors or eight connectors. All it takes is one short on one wire. So a 40A OCP on one connector really is the same thing as a 40A OCP across three or four connectors if you're just trying to prevent a damage from a short. That's what I mean about "real world application". OCP isn't there to prevent people from putting 20 hard drives on a single cable or three graphics cards on a single cable. It's there for safety in the event of a short. And if there's a short, it can, and typically is, on one wire, one pin and all that needs to happen is for that PSU to shut down. And, in that instance the PSU does shut down.

If someone puts too much load on a single connector, that's a corner case caused by someone that doesn't know what they're doing and nobody's liability but their own.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (03-11-2016), Froofy Batwyvern (03-12-2016), sith'ari (03-12-2016)