Thread: normal for two same model psu's to have many different components?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default normal for two same model psu's to have many different components?

decided to open up the older etasis et750's i have to blow them out since they were pretty full with dust and little air was getting through there imo because of the design but they do both still work. also one had the fan making some noise which ended up not at all being the fan. what i noticed when opening them though is 2 somewhat different setups. well not entirely different but many different components between the two.

the first looks identical to all the pics around the net including the ones from the older reviews by johnny from i think maybe 2009 or so (or older i know these are old but still work great and have been moved to use on some systems we have at my shop) the second one i have has much larger secondary caps which are ruby's instead of nippon's (2200 vs 3400 and 3600 values), has almost no teapo caps, the ac receptacle wires are wound around a torrid when coming in where the first does not have that at all, as well as have extra filtering, there are spots on the board where there are more resistors wired in parallel on the second one (2 vs 4 in one spot and 1 vs 3 in another along with a few others) the first uses Film resistor's everywhere where the second has some of the square ceramic's in the same places. even the solder points on the bottom of the board's are changed slightly even though the boards are the exact same (some have open spots and or solder points jumped where the other has components) etc etc etc. i have looked everywhere and have not seen any pics of one like the second one i have. honestly the solder work on the second one imo looks like crap. also explains the difference in the plugs and how they are wired now that i see where the wires are soldered to on the board. (one has 4 independent pci-e where the second has 2 with 2 additional ones jumped from those two to end up with 4)

they were bought on the same day from newegg and the dates on the boards is within weeks (i checked how to read the date with etasis) both say revision a3 also.

i am not concerned since both have worked well and are alive but this is more me being curious about do other companies make such major changes to the same models. if so i have to wonder how many of the reviews online review one revision then they change the same model which may affect the review accuracy, in fact one of the changes (the ac wires wrapped around the torrid was causing the fan noise because the torrid was pushing pretty hard against the inside of the fan housing being wedged between the heatsink and the fan body)

any thoughts? i know these were the same as the zues but did they make this for another company that maybe got put in the etasis box? again just they are old and im just being curious here.

thanks!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sounds like a repair/refurb job. Would explain the soldering and component differences. I wouldn't worry too much, seems like everything was done top-notch.

Any chance I could talk you into snapping some photos of the PSU's insides and posting them here?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm i did always suspect these were refurbs sold as new.... i will get some pics this week just dont know which day since i have to pull the one back out. but will get some for sure.