Thread: Seasonic Prime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic Prime

Hello, first time poster. Is it reasonable to expect the Seasonic Prime to release before June? I ask this because if not, I would simply purchase a EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W right now. I know that one point of difference is that the EVGA SuperNOVA T2 uses a bridgeless design while the Seasonic Prime is expected to use a bridge, what would this mean in terms of performance?

P.S.: The time limit on the purchase is June, so I am simply looking to purchase the best PSU I can at the 1000W range before said period, where best is in terms of performance and protection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

nobody can today say how good the prime are

Prime are demonstrated by the Cebit and launch may - july

The time limit on the purchase is June
    then wait until June
    best regards
    Tinpoint

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tinpoint For This Useful Post:

LogicalOrbit (02-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinpoint View Post
    nobody can today say how good the prime are

Prime are demonstrated by the Cebit and launch may - july

then wait until June
    I understand that no one can give a definitive answer since the product is not out, the question is more oriented towards an answer based on historic performance or based on what is known about the current design. As for waiting until June, that was the idea if no one gave a resounding negative or stated that the Prime was estimated to launch after June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LogicalOrbit View Post
    I understand that no one can give a definitive answer since the product is not out, the question is more oriented towards an answer based on historic performance or based on what is known about the current design. As for waiting until June, that was the idea if no one gave a resounding negative or stated that the Prime was estimated to launch after June.
    The problem with evaluating a unit based on it's topology is that you don't get the full picture.

Company A can make a Double-Forward Synchronous design that performs great.
    Company B can make a Double-Forward Synchronous design that doesn't perform great.

If all you know is the topology then you really only see about 10% of the picture.

Like wise, you can have an OEM like FSP which makes units based on the Active Clamp Reset Forward topology and they range from barely passable to pretty good, and everything in-between.

We also don't know the pricing of the Seasonic Prime; but historically Seasonic hasn't been known for the lowest prices among the consumer brands while EVGA has priced almost all of their units very aggressively.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

LogicalOrbit (02-02-2016), tinpoint (02-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    The problem with evaluating a unit based on it's topology is that you don't get the full picture.

Company A can make a Double-Forward Synchronous design that performs great.
    Company B can make a Double-Forward Synchronous design that doesn't perform great.

If all you know is the topology then you really only see about 10% of the picture.

Like wise, you can have an OEM like FSP which makes units based on the Active Clamp Reset Forward topology and they range from barely passable to pretty good, and everything in-between.

We also don't know the pricing of the Seasonic Prime; but historically Seasonic hasn't been known for the lowest prices among the consumer brands while EVGA has priced almost all of their units very aggressively.
    I was actually expecting the Seasonic to possibly price less than the EVGA unit, so thanks for that tidbit of knowledge. What stood out to me, from my 0 knowledge point of view, was the fact that the Prime uses a bridge compared to the bridgeless design of comparable units from Corsair and EVGA and wondered how that impacts performance and protection. My knowledge of PSUs is essentially just 'I need this much energy' and certification percentages, as for my knowledge of the Prime, it is pretty much limited to what the following article states (I can't make heads or tails of the specifications tables, and apparently everone loves Japanese capacitors):

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...psu,30861.html

Thanks to knowledge both posters brought forth, now I at least have an idea of a release date as well as having dispelled the idea that the Seasonic will likely be cheaper than the EVGA (though if performance merits it, I'll definitely purchase it).
    Last edited by LogicalOrbit; 02-02-2016 at 04:51 PM.