Thread: Is there a way to program existing non passive designs to have fan off ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there a way to program existing non passive designs to have fan off ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The fans aren't special. Just the way the fan controller is programmed.
    Is there a way to program exisiting non passive designs to have fan off ?

I'm still rocking an old Corsair TX650. It's a great unit and serves it purpose, but i would like to make it semi passive, so the whole system is SILENT.

Is there a way to do such thing other than replacing the whole psu ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hojnikb View Post

I'm still rocking an old Corsair TX650. It's a great unit and serves it purpose, but i would like to make it semi passive, so the whole system is SILENT.

Is there a way to do such thing other than replacing the whole psu ?
    If you have to ask, that probably means you shouldn't attempt it

Yes it is possible, but the components that make up the PSU need to be efficient and heat-resistant enough to work fanless. I guess the S12E+ platform that TX is based on would be ok up to something like 100-150W fanless, but that would depend on many factors like dust, airflow not originating from PSU's fan and typical ambient temperature. Basically you are expecting something like 20-25W of heat dissipation at those levels, which is about the maximum those heatsinks in the PSU can handle in free air.

As for the actual electronics to make semi-fanless functioning possible, you need either a PWM fan + PWM controller (you can even use one from your motherboard), or a fan that doesn't mind its voltage being kept below starting point for prolonged periods and a slight modification to the already existing fan control circuit.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    If you have to ask, that probably means you shouldn't attempt it

Yes it is possible, but the components that make up the PSU need to be efficient and heat-resistant enough to work fanless. I guess the S12E+ platform that TX is based on would be ok up to something like 100-150W fanless, but that would depend on many factors like dust, airflow not originating from PSU's fan and typical ambient temperature. Basically you are expecting something like 20-25W of heat dissipation at those levels, which is about the maximum those heatsinks in the PSU can handle in free air.

As for the actual electronics to make semi-fanless functioning possible, you need either a PWM fan + PWM controller (you can even use one from your motherboard), or a fan that doesn't mind its voltage being kept below starting point for prolonged periods and a slight modification to the already existing fan control circuit.
    PC is used for light tasks (web browsing, video etc) without dGPU, so i'm gussing it uses 50-60W at the most which should be low enough to be cooled passivly. What i'm after is the same functionality as the newer psu have; so no fan at all at low loads (above mentioned use case) and normal fan curve, once unit heats up.

So i'm guessing i need a temperature controlled pwm controller, that can be adjusted for no rpm at a certain temperature threshold. Too bad tx650 doesn't have an PWM fan, because something like the new arctic F14 pwm fans would be just thre right thing (they turn off below 40% pwm signal).
    BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD & 180GB SSD, HD4000, W10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Too bad tx650 doesn't have an PWM fan, because something like the new arctic F14 pwm fans would be just thre right thing (they turn off below 40% pwm signal).
    Or you would be overheating the PSU, because you can't use just a random fan.

Easy way is buy a new be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W, if 400W is enough of course. Not semi-passive but still impossible to hear.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is at least one (external fan controller with maybe a new fan), but it costs money and an 8-years old PSU it likely does not worth it.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simpler, but not very elegant solution, would be to purchase some low noise fan (like BQ Silent Wings or Scythe S-Flex) as replacement to current one and have it connected to external Molex 5V. Would get much more cooling than fanless mode and still be silent if you pick the right fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

No, because you have to have a design that was developed to be semi fanless.
    If you just change the fan, the PSU might explode.

Because for example the power components aren't designed for this thing...
    As well as the higher temperatures of these things...

So it if your old PSU is too loud, it might be a good idea to replace it. There are many rather quiet units on the market today. But they all cost a bit more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSUs fan is pretty quiet actually, but i'm really after semi passive operation (so absolutely no noise whatsoever).

Looks like the best bet is to just get something like a RMx 550W (a bit more watts for possible future gpu upgrades).

Maybe anything else in this range (give or take 100€ and 500-550W) ?
    I'm looking for a quality unit with semi passive operation obviously.
    BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD & 180GB SSD, HD4000, W10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If you want silent operation, EVGA 550 G2 ,Super Flower Leadex Gold 550W and Corsair RM550x are nice IMO. I would prefer the RM550x as the data say it's more silent.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/2/9/515..._fan_w_600.jpg
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/I/554..._fan_w_600.jpg
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/D/P/564..._fan_w_600.jpg

I can say, with a 4690K and dedicated 380X, the PSU fan does NOT start when doing normal things. Never. It obviously does when you are stressing it, but this won't be the case.

You don't need superior wattage versions. Not for now. Not for the future. I would make sure you buy it from a website with good return and warranty policy, if you get Coil Whine.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe anything else in this range (give or take 100€ and 500-550W) ?
    Depending of local pricing/special offers, even the passive Super Flower Golden Silent 430W might be an option (around 110 euros, like that one, for instance).

BTW please note that passive/semi-passive doesn't necessarily mean quieter than a fanned unit: electronic noise may be quite disturbing, regardless of mere SPL, and more than once it is.
    Best, Luca