Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova T2 1kW Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow EVGA Supernova T2 1kW Review

It's been more than a year since the first Titanium units hit the market. EVGA was the second company to do so, and for the longest time it's been not too well kept a secret that more models in their T2 line of units would be arriving on the scene eventually. It looks like the wait is officially over. Meet the T2 1000 watt model.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=459

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (01-12-2016), Philipus II (01-12-2016), quest for silence (01-12-2016), RazrLeaf (01-12-2016), sith'ari (01-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

May I suggest having a sticky somewhere (either on the forum or the main page) documenting when you make changes to the scoring standard? That way people know that a 2016 10 in performance actually means that something had to have <0.5% average voltage regulation, instead of just <1%.

It would make it easier for people that are comparing PSUs across years (as PSU product lifecycles seem to be exceedingly long).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RazrLeaf For This Useful Post:

ehume (01-12-2016), Philipus II (01-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Excellent idea.

Of course... People *could*... maybe... actually read the reviews too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Oklahoma Wolf (01-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly don't know which I've been awaiting with greater anticipation; this review or the EVGA T2 1000 PSU itself. Excellent review as always. I have a request of you, masquerading as a question. I'm a huge fan of the EVGA G2/P2 850 units, and I currently have 2 x EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW GPU's connected in SLI with the latter power supply. Those two cards require a total of four 6+2 pin PCI-E cables. Each card has a 275 watt TDP.

Question: Do you agree with me that my 850 watt power supply is sufficient for those two particular cards?

Request: If you do agree, could you consider passing along a suggestion to EVGA that they should also consider supplying four 6+2 pin PCI-E cables, instead of just two? I personally hate the aesthetics of using one 6+2 pin PCI-E AND one 6+2 pin PCI-E, 6 pin PCI-E cable. It just ruins the look of my build.

Thank you for hearing me out.

- Robert Caldwell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Of course... People *could*... maybe... actually read the reviews too.
    Quite some companies are using JonnyGuru scores/awards for advertisement. A mark in the awards with the year and month might help understanding the less educated, that a recommendation from 2016 is more useful than one from 2010.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (01-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very nice psu. if I was in the market for a 1000 watt psu today I'd buy it happily.

Quote Originally Posted by rcald2000 View Post
    I honestly don't know which I've been awaiting with greater anticipation; this review or the EVGA T2 1000 PSU itself. Excellent review as always. I have a request of you, masquerading as a question. I'm a huge fan of the EVGA G2/P2 850 units, and I currently have 2 x EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW GPU's connected in SLI with the latter power supply. Those two cards require a total of four 6+2 pin PCI-E cables. Each card has a 275 watt TDP.

Question: Do you agree with me that my 850 watt power supply is sufficient for those two particular cards?

Request: If you do agree, could you consider passing along a suggestion to EVGA that they should also consider supplying four 6+2 pin PCI-E cables, instead of just two? I personally hate the aesthetics of using one 6+2 pin PCI-E AND one 6+2 pin PCI-E, 6 pin PCI-E cable. It just ruins the look of my build.

Thank you for hearing me out.

- Robert Caldwell
    agreed. the less Y cables we have to deal with, the better. but I suspect they cut down on cost overall so get used to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I suppose that changing the scoring is appropriate. Since I read the review, I can infer that the Performance score is actually a 10, old style.

I think that you will change ripple score within the next year. Some of these companies are putting out PSU's with d___d low ripppple, so low you changed your graphic presentation. I mean, what can our components withstand better? Varying voltage that might get out of spec? Or ripple that might get out of hand? I'd bet our gear would shut down if it were fed the wrong voltage -- but not deadly ripple.

Anyway, fine review, as usual. Fine writing.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the "recommended" label should have a time limit, or otherwise be subject to retirement as standards change such that the unit would no longer be recommended. If I understand the scoring methodology correctly, a lot of units will score 0.5 lower on performance (and thus 0.2 lower on overall score) than they did last week due to just this one change. If there is a master list of recommended units somewhere,. it should be possible to automatically re-score at least the voltage regulation and ripple portions of the scoring using current norms. At the same time, the value score on the original review is inherently bound to a specific point in time. So maybe retirement would be warranted only if any changes in voltage regulation and ripple scoring would have put the unit below eight point something?

Pulling out my crystal ball, I agree with ehume about the odds of a ripple-score range, and wonder if you'll start using quarter-point deduction ranges, which may be the only way to recognize small but meaningful differences in high-quality units and adjust the "recommended" threshold to identity significantly above-average units by 2016 standards while keeping the hypothetical "average" unit at around a five.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woooo new scoring!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

though for some weird reason they've shortened the ATX cable compared to the P2 version.
    Clearly the voltage drop in the extra copper hurt the efficiency :P

Impressive just how much stuff is moving to surface mount. Looks like (almost?) all the secondary except caps and the odd coil, plus a lot of the primary. Now I need to go have another look at the shots of the others...

One comment I've got regarding berg connectors on modular cables: If the PSU would be OK (no shortage of connectors) if you didn't use/have the modular cable the berg is on, isn't this preferable to having it on its own dongle?

After all, which would you prefer:
    ---Molex-Molex-Molex + Molex-Berg adapter
    Or
    ---Molex-Molex-Molex
    ---Molex-Molex-Molex-Berg

Personally, I'd score them the same... I don't see any case where the former is preferable. Just a minor observation.

Same applies to where there's "too many" molexes, but they're all on modular cables. Who cares; leave them in the box.
    Last edited by Someone Somewhere; 01-13-2016 at 10:37 AM.