Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w modular cable replacements ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w modular cable replacements ?

Just bought a Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W semi modular power supply. It only came with two molex modular cables.

I've found two PCI-e cables from my pile of extra modular cables that fit the connectors in the power supply.

How can I verify safely what the pinout is and if the modular cables I've found match the pinout of the power supply side connector ??

Is there any interchangeability matrix for modular supplies that shows what modular cables work/interchange with what power supplies ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by low_76 View Post
    Just bought a Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W semi modular power supply. It only came with two molex modular cables.

I've found two PCI-e cables from my pile of extra modular cables that fit the connectors in the power supply.

How can I verify safely what the pinout is and if the modular cables I've found match the pinout of the power supply side connector ??

Is there any interchangeability matrix for modular supplies that shows what modular cables work/interchange with what power supplies ?
    How are you going to use PCIe cables for Molexes? I'm a little confused.

The Cooler Master came with two Molex cables. You need more? How would the PCIe cable help you with that? Use with adapters? If so, why wouldn't you use the PCIe cables that came with the Cooler Master?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Connectors at the PSU side for the Molex cables will contain pins that supply 5V as well as 12V (and GND), whereas PCI-E connectors/cables will only carry 12V (apart from GND), so no matter the pinout, you cannot use the free Molex connectors on the PSU side to connect PCI-E cables safely.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Your question indicates that you are requesting information. So here it is: in colored wires, you can tell which ones carry which voltages by seeing what colors they are. Molex cables contain three kinds of wire. Black wires are ground. Yellow wires carry 12 volts, red wires carry 5 volts. SATA cables carry 12, 5 and 3.3 volts. The 3.3-volt wires are orange. PCIE and CPU cable carry only yellow and black wires, so you can see that they have only ground and 12 volts.

From this you can deduce that Molex and PCIE cable are not interchangeable, even if they fit. Wolfie tests socket compatibility because there are some PSU's where you can accidentally plug the incorrect cable into a socket -- very much a Wrong thing to do.

If you really need more of a certain type of cable, there are two approaches. The simplest one is to correspond with Customer Service of your PSU's manufacturer.

Another approach is to look at your needs. If you need more Molex connectors, for example, are you attaching them to low-power devices? If you are, then it is safe to mount Y-cables. But be careful with those. Too much current draw can heat wires up and pose a fire danger.

It is good that you are asking questions. The mark of an "expert" is someone who does not hesitate a moment before doing something disastrous. Lord save us from "experts." Amateurs think twice, ask questions, and think again before doing anything.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm so very sorry for the retardedly opaque question.

I have two molex modular cables, but I do not have ANY PCI-e modular cables.

I have found a couple of PCI-e modular cables in my pile, but I don't know if they will match the power supply.

How can I check if they'll work without blowing anything up ?

I don't have any of the PCI-e modular cables that came with the power supply, but from pictures, I can see they aren't color coded in any way, they feature all black wires on both ends(not helpful AT ALL).

Does that make it any clearer what info I'm looking for ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    How are you going to use PCIe cables for Molexes? I'm a little confused.

The Cooler Master came with two Molex cables. You need more? How would the PCIe cable help you with that? Use with adapters? If so, why wouldn't you use the PCIe cables that came with the Cooler Master?
    The PCI-e cables that I found, are not "official" Cooler Master PCI-e modular cables, they're just modular PCI-e cables that I've had in a big pile from other modular power supplies I've had over the years.

I build systems as a hobby, and typically keep any extra modular cables, as *most* people NEVER use them, and I've been saved by having the extra's on hand several times.

So, what I'm trying to do is safely figure out if the modular PCI-e cables I've found, are compatible with the connections on the Cooler Master power supply.

I have a digital multi-meter, if that helps....I don't know how to use it, except at the most rudimentary level, but I *do* have one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, if it's PCI-E cables, those are far less easy to mismatch and screw up. If the connector keying matches up, you're halfway there. You need to know whether the power pins are using the same layout.

With a DMM (digital multimeter) this becomes rather simple - you will want to check the pinout on the PSU itself. Set the DMM to diode check/continuity function, it should have a symbol similar to one of these two (or both):

You can verify the function is correct if you touch the DMM probes together the DMM should beep. The beep means there's conduction between the probed points with negligible resistance.

Now, with the PSU off, stick the black probe into one of the inner pins on one of the Molex connectors - those are ground, see the pinout:

With the red probe, touch the ground pins on the GPU end of the PCI-E cables you wish to use and listen for the beep. If it's there, the pin you touched is GND. Follow this pinout for the PCI-E connectors:

If the GND signals match up, check the 12V ones as well. Since all CM Silent Pro PSUs are single-rail, move the black probe into the 12V pin on the Molex (see pinout above), then touch what should be the 12V pins on the PCI-E and listen for beeps. If all pins match up with the pinout provided, you're good to go.

There may be some issues with cables that have capacitors embedded inline, with those the beep would be there for a fraction of a second, then the readout on the DMM would start going up until reaching infinity (or just displaying a single "1" on there).

...on the other hand, I've seen PSUs where everything is connected in such a way that the above testing would prove useless as you'd be getting beeps everywhere all the time. I don't think the CM you have is one of those, but if it is' you'll have to check the actual voltages with the PSU running... More on that if and when needed. Try the above method first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

McSteel you're the best !

I did as you advised, I put the black probe of the dmm in the ground spot on one of the molex's, then put the red probe into the spots on the PCI-e connector that are supposed to be ground, and got beeps on every connector that is supposed to be ground(and no beeps on the connectors supposed to be power) !

Ground is common, right ? So getting the beep verifies that the PCI-e connectors are wired the way they're supposed to ! Right ?

Thanks again, that's exactly the info I was looking for !

Now I can actually USE this 1000w power supply in a build !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yeah, the ground is common across all connectors/pins. In this case, so is 12V, so if that checks out as well, you're good to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    Yeah, the ground is common across all connectors/pins. In this case, so is 12V, so if that checks out as well, you're good to go
    So, when you check continuity on the 12V between the molex and PCI-e, is there continuity between the 12V and ground as well ? If there's not supposed to be, what does it mean that I get a beep on all of the PCI-e connectors, when one probe is on the molex's 12V connector ?