Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thermaltake DPS-G Titanium 1250W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was surprised you didn't mention the melted insulation in the 'Mediocre'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    ............. this would potentially allow someone to plug in a red ended PCI-e cable into one of the black sockets on the power supply itself, which would end badly because the red sockets aren't electrically the same as the black sockets on the modular board on the power supply.
    Exactly!!
    The key word that you used is potentially!!
    But just like i said at the review for the Tt GRAND Platinum 850:
    Originally Posted by sith'ari
    You have to be totally blind if you put red cables in black sockets (*or opposite !!) ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112555 )
    So, potentially yes, if you put a baby to connect the psu, then yes, he could potentially put the red cables into black sockets!!

( P.S. And don't forget something else: that just like i said on the same thread, it's better to have some colour hints than not having anything at all, like the motherboard cable for the SS Platinum 660. Fortunately for me, when i faced this issue i had lots of help from [H]'s forum members. )
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some thoughts...

• CPU cables were long enough, but the PCI-E cables were slightly too short to hide behind the mainboard tray of this case. Wouldn't be an issue if there were grommeted holes closer to the mainboard.
    • Pulls more juice at the desktop than the Snow Silent 1050W did, but less when the 280X is crypto mining. This rig pulls about 260W at worst, so this unit is only in here temporarily. I have a smaller Titanium review unit on the pile that will go in here when I get to it. I want it crypto mining right in that 94% sweet spot.
    • I'm not changing anything about the connector interchangeability point deduction, as far as that goes.
    • Still don't care for the cable color scheme.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 01-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone's got to get on the RGB band wagon...gotta say, looks way too gaudy to me.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    Everyone's got to get on the RGB band wagon...gotta say, looks way too gaudy to me.
    Looks at your avatar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf
    There are relatively few aluminum electrolytics filtering this unit. Most of it is done using Apaq polymers. That's a good thing indeed... I'm glad to see the industry moving toward all polymer designs. This unit should have a nice long lifespan.
    I just noticed that.
    I think that this is the key sentence from the entire review.
    Just like Jeremy said, the industry should focus towards this kind of design, which will surely lead to longevity extension.
    Encouraging work from Tt's / CWT's engineers!!
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the gerbil that power's the wheel in my brain can't quiet grasp the issue with the interchangeable cables.

i have some seasonic XP3 units and corsair AXi units. you can plug the EPS and PCI E cables into any port that fits on the PSU and it will work the same. but at the same time you can't physically plug the cables in backwards (you can't swap the PC component and PSU ends because they won't go in to the wrong receptacles)

is the issue on this unit that on the PSU end, the EPS cables fit into PCI E ports on the PSU and vise-versa, but won't work correctly? or that the cables can be plugged in backwards and also not work? if that's the case, then it's a completely stupid move on TT's and CWT's parts. why not just do what corsair and seasonic are doing? i find it hard to believe that a manufacturer this experienced would produce a half baked design like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I know why they did the color coding... the CPU and PCI-E cables can be plugged into each other's jacks. And they are NOT electrically compatible.
    Bolded is key. If they are not electrically compatible, they should not be physically compatible. Plugging them incorrectly may not just "work incorrectly", but even damage connected hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Bolded is key. If they are not electrically compatible, they should not be physically compatible. Plugging them incorrectly may not just "work incorrectly", but even damage connected hardware.
    i missed that part. thanks.

which begs the question, why would they build the PSU this way in the first place? why not just wire the unit and cables in a way that everything is interchangeable. it's a single 12V rail. so it's not like the user will have to worry about load balancing.