Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SFX and SFX-L Gold Options

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SFX and SFX-L Gold Options

Been searching for a while trying to find the magic bullet that will match my requirements, but I've yet to really come across a power supply that does the trick and wanted to get some suggestions from the pros.

My preferred form factor is SFX, though I could make SFX-L work if I really have too. While noise is a factor, I understand that there is a tradeoff for cramming that much power into a small space, especially the SFX with the smaller fan.

The system I'm looking to power is based around the following components

Z170 mITX board
    6700k processor
    GTX 980 Ti
    Samsung 950 Pro PCIe
    (2) 2TB Spinpoint 2.5" HDD
    (4) 92mm fans
    (1) 140mm fan
    (1) 120mm fan

The system will be overclocked, both the processor and the graphics card. My rough guesstimates put me somewhere around 450watts being a little bit too low, and 500 watts probably more realistic, while 600 watts would offer more breathing room. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking though.

I've waffled back and forth on what PSU to use with the Silverstone SFX 600watt unit as an option, as well as the Silverstone SFX-L 500 watt as the other. Based on the reviews on jonnyguru I was turned off a bit on the SST-SX600-G because of the Su'scon secondary capacitors. The rest of the review made it seem like the unit was decent though (though I've read in the forums on concern over the ripple I thought). The SST-SX500-LG seemed to not have any glaring standouts and was okay, though not stellar.

Another contributing factor to my concern with the SST-SX600-G is how poor the user reviews on sites like Newegg and Amazon are, with a high failure rate. The SST-SX500-LG seems better in this regard. Admittedly I know user reviews are a bit of a tossup because you don't actually know what kind of data pool you're working with.

With that said I have both PSUs and am kind of unsure which way to go. The SST-SX600-G would be great and work very well it seems, I just don't have a lot of confidence in it right now.

I did take apart my V1.1 SST-SX600-G and looked at the secondary caps and found Taepo ones (assuming I'm looking at the right thing). I've attached some pics for others to see. Would this improve the situation at all having these in place of the Su'scon capacitors?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

How long do you have before you have to make a final decision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    How long do you have before you have to make a final decision?
    I've got most of the components and been testing here and there for a while, the case is getting closer to completed, so in reality I guess I'm ready to pull the trigger now.

However, I could hold off a bit if neither of the current options will work. I've been trying to find information on the Corsair SF600, and I know that Silverstone has a SFX-L based 700 watt Platinum that's been kicking around, though that puts me back into the larger size and I'd really prefer the smaller size if at all possible.

My dream power supply is a 550-600watt SFX Gold or Platinum built with high end components inside. I would gladly pay a premium for one if it existed.

Anything in the pipeline in the next coming weeks possibly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Just so you know: CES is coming up in a month. Lots of companies may be introducing new things. Some just to show, but some may be announcing availability. So if you can wait until then, it may be worth the wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myrkr View Post
    My dream power supply is a 550-600watt SFX Gold or Platinum built with high end components inside. I would gladly pay a premium for one if it existed.

Anything in the pipeline in the next coming weeks possibly?
    Silverstone is coming up with the SX550. Based on FSP550-50SGGBA, maybe they will have it ready for CES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Yep. And that Andyson Platinum SFX we saw at Computex might have found a vendor too.

Who knows?

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Corsair?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

I guess in interim, what's your thoughts on the SST-SX600-G with the Taepo caps as opposed to the Su'scon ones? A slight upgrade? Based on your guys review it was one of the bigger knocks against the unit, that and the lack of cooling on the secondary side. Which brings up another option, what if I modified the housing to accept a slightly larger fan and got some airflow over to the secondary side? Worth it?

Out of curiosity, would the Silverstone ST45SF-G Gold SFX unit be cutting it to close on the power? Looks like some of the overclocked 6700k & 980 Ti combos pull around 390-400 at the wall. The ST45SF-G scored pretty well and has solid reviews out there from end users. The concern I think would be that it has 37 amps on the 12v rail, and between the CPU and GPU that might not be enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Corsair?
    No. The Corsair unit is made by Great Wall. I don't know who will use the Andyson platform, but it's been "ready" for a while, so it's about time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Yep. And that Andyson Platinum SFX we saw at Computex might have found a vendor too.
    I can't remember an Andyson Platinum SFX PSU.