Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best low output PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default best low output PSU

My new system should have pretty low power consumption: Skylake i7-6700, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, SSD, all in an ATX form factor. That's about it. I'll be using onboard graphics.

So my dilemma is what PSU to get? I am looking for a top quality unit, e.g., I was looking at Seasonic X or Platinum series. But, the lowest capacity those come in is 650W, and at the level my system will run at, they're going to be rather inefficient.

I'd like to stay with a PSU with a fan, as the ambient temperature in my office can get quite warm (80+ degrees F)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a top quality PSU for a low power consumption build?
    Last edited by scottmlew; 11-07-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Corsair RM 450w, EVGA SuperNova G2 550w, Corsair RMx 550w, Seasonic G Series 360w, G Series 450w, S12G 450w, Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro P10 550w, or Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 550w

Those are all top-notch units, that are in the low wattage space. The Seasonic G Series & S12G units are the weakest of the bunch but even then they're still very good depending on price & availability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Corsair RM 450w, EVGA SuperNova G2 550w, Corsair RMx 550w, Seasonic G Series 360w, G Series 450w, S12G 450w, Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro P10 550w, or Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 550w

Those are all top-notch units, that are in the low wattage space. The Seasonic G Series & S12G units are the weakest of the bunch but even then they're still very good depending on price & availability.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I thought the Corsair RM was frowned upon due to quality issues?

I looked at the Seasonic Gs, but preferred the specs of the X/Plat, and also like that those are fully modular, since I won't be using all of the connectors permanently attached to the G. And I actually just noticed that the G360 isn't modular at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I thought the Corsair RM was frowned upon due to quality issues?

I looked at the Seasonic Gs, but preferred the specs of the X/Plat, and also like that those are fully modular, since I won't be using all of the connectors permanently attached to the G. And I actually just noticed that the G360 isn't modular at all
    The RMx units are new designs based on the same platform as the RMi units from earlier this year. While the 550w units have yet to hit review benches; you can read a review of the RMi 650w which is the same design internally. The only omission on the other units is Corsair Link support.

The RM450w has a review in German at PC Max, while it's not based on the newer design of the RMi & RMx it's still a very capable design. The only negative point about this unit could be the use of CapXon capacitors on the secondary side, but the unit is also covered by a 5 year warranty and the capacitors undergo very little stress during operation, even on a system like yours. So it's not something I would be too worried about. Depending on where you're at, this unit can also be rather cheap given how well it performs. Which is a big bonus.

The Be Quiet units are also not fully modular, but their only hardwired cable is the 24pin cable. The P10 & P11 both have review in English thanks to KitGuru. The P11 is actually the quietest unit on the market right now, but it's also one of the most expensive 550w units produced to date.

The EVGA SuperNova G2 is the first unit on JonnyGuru to score a perfect 10. So that should say something about the quality.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anyone have a suggestion for a top quality PSU for a low power consumption build?
    More probably that not, you can't find a top notch, fully fanned unit in North America, below the 550W mark, and particularly correctly priced, mainly because american marketing is always sticking up for "bigger is better".

I guess the lowest power, locally available, top notch PSU is the fanless Seasonic Platinum 400 (which is probably still about three or four times your expected max power draw).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    More probably that not, you can't find a top notch, fully fanned unit in North America, below the 550W mark, and particularly correctly priced, mainly because american marketing is always sticking up for "bigger is better".

I guess the lowest power, locally available, top notch PSU is the fanless Seasonic Platinum 400 (which is probably still about three or four times your expected max power draw).
    One thing you can do with a fanless unit now: you can put a 500rpm Slip Stream 120DB next to it. Back a while ago, I would have recommended a 500rpm Gentle Typhoon, but those are not available now.

I recommend a slow ball bearing fan because you can't hear one, it is orientation agnostic and it keeps the air flowing. The problem is that the PSU costs, mainly because you are buying what amounts to an 850W PSU with its output capped. The G2 looks like a far better option.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    you are buying what amounts to an 850W PSU with its output capped
    I thought that was true just for the 520W model, while the smaller siblings were based upon a smaller platform (than the 850/1000): do you have any evidence/info to point out?

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    The G2 looks like a far better option.
    Did you mean money-wise?

Btw, efficiency wise, probably the better option for such a low-power rig is the Enhance-based Cooler Master V (or VSM) 450/550, whether locally available (though it's just a very good PSU, comparable to Seasonic G, a notch down the top performance level, if that matters).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for the great suggestions and discussion.

Summarizing my options -- it looks like the best "top tier" unit I can get with a fan will be 550W, or I could get a "second tier" unit in 450W or go "top tier" but fanless at 400W (perhaps augmented with a fan as suggested by ehume).

Any consensus on which of those options is best? Once i know which top-level option is best, picking the specific unit will be rather easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Any consensus on which of those options is best?
    Best with reference to what?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

. .

Any consensus on which of those options is best? Once i know which top-level option is best, picking the specific unit will be rather easy.
    Lowest ripple, perhaps?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W